Camera Repair/clean and lube
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2016   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 301
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Camera Repair/clean and lube

I just acquired a Kodak Junior six-20 Series II camera. It has been kept in a trunk in my wife's elderly aunts basement. It had a roll of film in it that was partially shot. I took it to be processed, and as expected the film was expired, and damaged. So, I got nothing for my trouble. Now, I'd like to use the camera, I expect to shoot some "period shots" using B&W 620 film. I checked the bellows, and cannot see any light leaks. The shutter seems to be slow, and sometimes sticks open then close slowly. I'm thinking of getting the camera cleaned and lubed, and see what I get. Has anyone had any success with this type of camera ether shooting, or who to do the job. The camera actually was in its original box, with original manual. The manuals publication is 1936.

My basic equipment:Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Canon EOS 7D Classic, Canon EOS 50D, and Canon EOS 6D, EF-S 10-22mm Ultra Wide Angle, Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM, Canon EF 40mm STM, Canon EF 70-200mm f4L IS USM, Canon EF 100mm f2.8L macro USM. Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8L USM,Tamron 18-270mm VC walk-around lens, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron SP 24-70mm Di VC USD lens, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, Canon EF 50mm STM, Tele-converters: 1.4 Kenko, 2X Tamron, Post Processing: Adobe PS, Adobe Lightroom, X-rite Passport Color Checker, Other things I shoot with, Walther PPK 380, Bursa CC 380, Glock 17 9mm. And Canon Vixia M52 camcorder. I've also added an array of Cokin ND filters.
Surfwooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Default Re: Camera Repair/clean and lube

While I am a great fan of classic cameras, I know nothing about this camera. I would guess the first thing to do is take it to a camera repair shop and get an opinion about what repair is required and how much it would cost. Then you will have to decide if it is worth your nickle.
Old 06-13-2016   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 301

I did check with KEH, they can do the job, but priced for just the tear down, clean and lube the shutter etc would cost $265.00. Of course they'll check the film trolley along with the rest of the camera.

B
My basic equipment:Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Canon EOS 7D Classic, Canon EOS 50D, and Canon EOS 6D, EF-S 10-22mm Ultra Wide Angle, Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM, Canon EF 40mm STM, Canon EF 70-200mm f4L IS USM, Canon EF 100mm f2.8L macro USM. Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8L USM,Tamron 18-270mm VC walk-around lens, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron SP 24-70mm Di VC USD lens, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, Canon EF 50mm STM, Tele-converters: 1.4 Kenko, 2X Tamron, Post Processing: Adobe PS, Adobe Lightroom, X-rite Passport Color Checker, Other things I shoot with, Walther PPK 380, Bursa CC 380, Glock 17 9mm. And Canon Vixia M52 camcorder. I've also added an array of Cokin ND filters.
Surfwooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383

That's a ridiculous price. Cameras like this came with a variety of shutters. Most were simple enough that someone with good mechanical skills can clean them. As for lubrication, it will likely work without any. Too little is much better than too much.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 683702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
That's a ridiculous price. Cameras like this came with a
variety of shutters. Most were simple enough that someone
with good mechanical skills can clean them. As for lubrication,
it will likely work without any. Too little is much better than
too much.
What JJ say.

That price seems to be a polite way of saying, "We do not
care to discuss this". And actually, I can't fault them for it.

There's just no point in using it. The film size is obsolete.
You can get an ancient but working 120, not 620, camera
with a crappy "vintage" lens for $40, or easily less. Or just
get a Holga. You can get the effect you seek from either.

If you insist on fixing the Kodak, just flush the shutter with
naptha or benzine [lighter fuel] until it runs OK, then clean
the lens with Windex and cotton swaps to get rid of the
runoff from the shutter. Somebody somewhere is selling
620 made in East Slobovia for a silly price. Look on ebay.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: