New Cameras Coming
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1606297
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default New Cameras Coming

So I was recently bitten by the film bug and have been shooting a bit and learning allot. I am finding that the number of "misses" is dropping as I learn to properly focus and get the exposure right. The majority of my problems are with focusing...Auto-focus has spoiled me.

Over the past couple of weeks I have purchased some more film cameras to try out. I have a Nikon F3 on the way as well as a OM-2. Both appear to be in good condition and I look forward to trying them out.

With all this film shooting I am beginning to realize that I need to start developing my own film. I have seen videos and read a bit about it and the process seems rather simple (three chemicals) but it does seem like something that needs a bit of practice to get right. I will slowly start looking for some film developing chemicals and equipment here in Perth. It al seems so expensive compared to the price of these wonderful cameras!

The shot below was captured on my Hasselblad. After so long shooting high ISO film it was wonderful to go back to ISO 100. On small prints there is not much difference but when printed bigger the lack of grain is...different.

BovrilArg
AKA Patrick

www.filmstillphotography.com

My family and I travel all over the world so photography was a logical way to capture the wonder of the places we go.
The lifestyle requires sacrifices such as not having friends or family near us. This is why Photocamel is so wonderful.
It lets me keep friendly photographers with me everywhere I go!
BovrilArg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: New Cameras Coming

I love that second image. Your kids?

I once owned a beater F3 that I found on the big auction site; the electronics eventually died... twice. Right now that F3 is a doorstop or a shelf decoration at a friend's house.

I've always loved the way the OM stuff handled, though I've only put one roll through one, and it was a roll of nothing to see if a friend's new-to-them OM had light leaks.

What Hasselblad stuff are you using?

Hasselblad V is probably my favorite system, and I've used or owned a gazillion different kinds of cameras.

Coming out of college, I sold my Hassy 500C/M kit, which was a huge mistake. I've paid for it in spades re-buying Hassy stuff these days; some of the used prices have gone way up since Hasselblad discontinued the V system on my birthday in 2013. A prism viewfinder like the one I got in college for $20 is now about $300 in comparable condition.

I've now got a chrome/black 500C/M and a blue/chrome 503CW, and I still kind of want a yellow/chrome 501CM or 503CW as well.

I still have a Leica M4-P and Nikon FM2N, along with my grandfather's old Leica M3, but I think I'm all out of 135 format/35mm film.
Old 11-09-2014   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

i love the # 2 of your kids,has that old school look to it i think you can only get with film! the nikon f3 is a good camera,as i owned three of them along with the f4 and f5 back in the day,i think the f3 is a steel for what you can pick them up for these days,but i;m on canons side now,enjoy .
Old 11-12-2014   #4
Dromedary

Hey guys thanks! They are all my kids and are very patient with my photography. I agree that film gives the photographs something special.

I have a Hasselblad 500CM which is what took the above shots. Prices have gone up which is unfortunate.

The OM2 arrived yesterday and looks good except that the exposure counter is not working. Not sure of the effect it will have.

The F3 arrived today and it already has a roll of film in it with five exposures taken. It is a great little camera and I am very happy with it.

Thank you all for the kind feedback m

My family and I travel all over the world so photography was a logical way to capture the wonder of the places we go.
The lifestyle requires sacrifices such as not having friends or family near us. This is why Photocamel is so wonderful.
Old 11-12-2014   #5
Camel Breath

I personally prefer the larger formats; no longer a huge fan of 135. Just me though.

The Hasselblad 500C/M is probably the pinnacle of craftsmanship from Hasselblad.

I have a friend who used the stuff growing up through college and beyond, and he has said the more recent 'Blads are not quite as well put-together as the older ones. I think he stills owns most of the models that have come out since the 500C/M.

So far, my experience has mirrored his. I own a recent mid-2000's 503CW and A12 back, and it definitely isn't made to the same tolerances of the old 1974 A12 back that came with my 500C/M. I can misalign the back's insert when putting it back together, something that is difficult or impossible to do with the older A12's I've owned or used.

I love the bigger "gliding mirror" in thr 503CW though; no more vignetting at the top of the viewfinder when using longer lenses with the 500C/M. Of course, this wasn't a big problem in college when I only had an 80mm.
Old 11-12-2014   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

You'll want five chemicals for BW film processing, not three.

Developer
Stop bath
Fixer
Hypo Clearing Agent
Photo Flow

The Hypo Clearing Agent (Perma-Wash) shortens the wash time by helping to remove Fixer. A shorter wash time gives less film grain as the longer you wash the film the more the emulsion swells and the more grain in the final negative.

The Photo Flow helps the film dry without spots or streaking.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014   #7
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
You'll want five chemicals for BW film processing, not three.

The Photo Flow helps the film dry without spots or streaking.
Thanks for the information! One of my biggest challenges is learning about film processing because so much was taught from one person to another that it is difficult without someone to guide the way. Many of the books on the subject are rather involved and many quote chemicals, film and equipment that is no longer made.

I have found some good internet sites and with some more people like you, willing to help out I am sure I will stumble through ok.

Old 11-15-2014   #8
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
I personally prefer the larger formats; no longer a huge fan of 135. Just me though.

Actually I tend to agree but only realized this recently. I had not had enough experience to really comment. Just the other day I was thinking how much more fun I have with the larger format. That being said I am sure I have the same issue that others did before me...compactness. The 135 are small enough to fit in easy to carry bodies. I can't imagine lugging around the Hasselblad on a hike.

My Nikon F3 seems to be working very well. I have not sent any film in but so far everything seems to be in order. I have to admit that I like this camera. The viewfinder is so much brighter than many I have seen which makes focusing much easier.

I have to run some film through the OM-2 to see what I have there. I also want to send my OM-1 for a CLA. All the other cameras seem to be in good shape and while the OM-1 has no light leaks the seals are all but gone.

Getting these cameras in working condition again is half the fun!

Old 11-15-2014   #9
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovrilArg View Post
I can't imagine lugging around the Hasselblad on a hike.
Let me get back to you on that one.

Then again, in what must have been a moment of lunacy, I lugged a 600mm f/4 lens up a mountain a few years ago...
Old 11-16-2014   #10
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovrilArg View Post
I can't imagine lugging around the Hasselblad on a hike.
For years my wife and I have been doing what we call "photo safaris" which consist of cheap airfares to somewhere out west or to New England and then a rental car and 4-5 days of traveling around shooting landscapes.

We'd shoot BW film on these trips. I would carry a 4x5 field camera and My wife would carry a Hasselblad. We'd each carry several lenses for our respective cameras and of course I had the pleasure of carrying film holders as well.

We stopped shooting B&W when it became too difficult to pass boxes of exposed 4x5 and rolls of 120 BW film through airport security. Now we shoot digitally but still carry a bunch of lenses, tripods etc.

The Hasselbad was lighter and much easier to carry and use than the large format equipment.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: