New Cameras Coming - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2014   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New Cameras Coming

I always liked shooting with a small 4x5 field camera in college. It weighed less than my Hassy or my DSLRs. Could only get a few shots at a time though.
Old 11-18-2014   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 6424
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovrilArg View Post
Actually I tend to agree but only realized this recently. I had not had enough experience to really comment. Just the other day I was thinking how much more fun I have with the larger format. That being said I am sure I have the same issue that others did before me...compactness. The 135 are small enough to fit in easy to carry bodies. I can't imagine lugging around the Hasselblad on a hike.
I've been drooling over one of these for years (and it's pocketable):

Fujifilm GF670 Folding Rangefinder

Matt
Canon EOS 6D with Vello BG-13 Grip, Canon EOS Rebel T2i (550D) w/BG-E8 grip, EOS 3, Elan 7N, EF 28 f1.8, EF 35 IS USM f2, EF 50 f1.4, EF 85 f1.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L, Canon EF 17-40 f/4L, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 430 EX II Speedlite
mattstaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014   #13
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Editing OK?: Yes

Matt-
At that price I can understand why you are still just drooling. However it is one very unique camera that opens up a lot of possibilities.
Old 11-18-2014   #14
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Some great film shots Patrick.
Brings back memories of the thousands of film shots I used to take and developing & printing the photos in the bathroom after the family had gone to bed.
I still have my Nikon F, F2 and F3 cameras.
Old 11-27-2014   #15
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1606297

It is a great hobby that is for sure!

www.filmstillphotography.com

My family and I travel all over the world so photography was a logical way to capture the wonder of the places we go.
The lifestyle requires sacrifices such as not having friends or family near us. This is why Photocamel is so wonderful.
It lets me keep friendly photographers with me everywhere I go!
BovrilArg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015   #16
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 105604
Editing OK?: Ask First
Thumbs up Re: New Cameras Coming

There's a slippery slope. Once you start developing your own film, you'll want to print your own prints.

The best advice I can give you (or anyone) is to strive for the greatest consistency possible. Only in this way are you going to achieve consistent negatives to scan or print. Not just in time/temperature/dilution rates, but in how you agitate. Everything, actually.

My favorite combination that I settled on with my RB67 was TMAX 100 developed in Rodinal 1:25 @ 68F/20C. Here in tropical Florida, that meant using cold water baths to get the chemicals down to that temperature. Room temperature is typically in the mid 70s here, and I found the shorter development times made it harder to achieve consistent results. Although most people prefer SS developing tanks, I found I could get better consistency with plastic tanks and reels. Spinning the reel in the tank produced fewer bubbles than inversion agitation required with SS tanks. I had more issues with inversion agitation of 120 film than I did with 35mm film.

If you think you're spoiled by AF, why not consider an AF capable film camera? The F4 instead of the F3? I think the N90 and N8008 may have a control layout that is more similar to Nikon digital cameras.

I hope this helps - good luck!
Old 12-26-2015   #17
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 106270

These are great shots. My favorite fixed lens film camera is the Mamiya RB67. The main reason I like this camera is that the film holder rotates from landscape to portrait without having to tilt the camera.
Also the RB67 has a metal body and although plenty heavy to lug around it is almost indestructible . I have on occasion dropped the camera picked it up and gone right on shooting. I do not recommend dropping it on purpose however. My cameera was manufactured in 1972 and is still running great.
Henrycrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017   #18
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 105604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
You'll want five chemicals for BW film processing, not three.

Developer
Stop bath
Fixer
Hypo Clearing Agent
Photo Flow

The Hypo Clearing Agent (Perma-Wash) shortens the wash time by helping to remove Fixer. A shorter wash time gives less film grain as the longer you wash the film the more the emulsion swells and the more grain in the final negative.

The Photo Flow helps the film dry without spots or streaking.
Stop bath is a personal choice. Yes, I've always used it, but many people say a rinse is all that's needed. Maybe. It's cheap, and I had to mix it up for printing anyway. If you want to get fancy, use an "indicator stop bath."

I've done a lot of film developing in my time, but I could never get Photo Flow to work. Always left a residue when it dried. Finally figured out that if the last couple of rinses were with distilled water, there should and would be nothing to leave spots or streaks. Worked for me. YMMV.

More important is not to squeegee the film to dry it. Shake the water off best you can before removing from the reel. Some "snap" the film to shake the water off. No need with distilled water final rinse.

Arved Grass Photography Blog
Arved is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: