slides and converting to digital
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 3092286
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default slides and converting to digital

Purchased some slides on that auction site.
The nseller did list as being 7cm square
They are considerably larger thaan the 35mm or even a few I took years ago with 120 film.
Some are labelled Kodak Ektochrome USA

Firstly what brand are they

Secondly any ideas as to how to modify a slide duplicator so as to accept these. I have a 35mm copier but they are too large to fit

Photography is a blend of art and science which involves four stages. 1.Seeing - an eye for a picture, 2 Taking - aspects of camera craft 3. Making - post processing 4. Presenting - the finished article
I have studied photography seriously for over 40 years and digital imaging for 23 years and continue to do both. If ever I thought I had “arrived” or reached any sort of “standard” I would pack [it] in because what I would have reached was a plateau and would then probably be incapable of learning new things……I hope this never happens.
Leo Palmer

kennethwfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: slides and converting to digital

Here's how I shoot slides. A similar rig built to fit your slides would work well.
http://photocamel.com/forum/photogra...ng-slides.html
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #3
Llama

thanks aware of this thread have no problems regarding conversion of 35mm slides as per the RH of the image, but the LH of the image shows how large these slides are
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slidesize.JPG (231.2 KB, 71 views)
Photography is a blend of art and science which involves four stages. 1.Seeing - an eye for a picture, 2 Taking - aspects of camera craft 3. Making - post processing 4. Presenting - the finished article
I have studied photography seriously for over 40 years and digital imaging for 23 years and continue to do both. If ever I thought I had “arrived” or reached any sort of “standard” I would pack [it] in because what I would have reached was a plateau and would then probably be incapable of learning new things……I hope this never happens.
Leo Palmer

Old 06-09-2014   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525

Understood - but the same concept would work for larger slides - would just have to make a special rig and maybe used a shorter FL lens.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948

Kenneth, can you measure the size of it. According to your photo above, I measure it as 50mm not 70. If it is 50mm, then it is 127 Film. The film and slides were very popular in the 70's and 80's until the format got phased out in the mid 90's. I used to collect a box of the slides from Arizona Highways magazine every month. A company called Panavue also used to sell millions of these slides with landscape shots for the tourist industry. My Epson 4870 scanner came with a bunch of film / transparency scanning adapters, one of which lets you drop in 8 of those 50mm x 50mm slides onto it for scanning 8 at a time.
There may still be 127 slide apapters fpr other scanners still available.
Cheers, Murray
mistermonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #6
Llama

thanks for above. I found similar slides amoungst my own negatives and am sure that they are 127 and are 500mm or 2 1/4 inches in imperial mesurements

It appears I will have to make up an adapter. I switched to a digital scanner as with the
Ohnar duplicator, the backlight was not bright enough leading to slow shutter speeds and blur
Leo Palmer

Old 06-02-2017   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 105604
Editing OK?: Ask First

That's bigger than "Superslide" size. More like Medium Format (120/220), but you say they're bigger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Kenneth, can you measure the size of it. According to your photo above, I measure it as 50mm not 70. If it is 50mm, then it is 127 Film. The film and slides were very popular in the 70's and 80's until the format got phased out in the mid 90's. I used to collect a box of the slides from Arizona Highways magazine every month. A company called Panavue also used to sell millions of these slides with landscape shots for the tourist industry. My Epson 4870 scanner came with a bunch of film / transparency scanning adapters, one of which lets you drop in 8 of those 50mm x 50mm slides onto it for scanning 8 at a time.
There may still be 127 slide apapters fpr other scanners still available.
Cheers, Murray
127 film was used to make "Superslides." I used to use a Yashicamat 44LM to make them. They were bigger than 35mm, but used the same outside dimension in the mount. This allowed them to be projected with a standard projector designed for 35mm slides:

The frame of a 127 film is 4x4 cm, just 4 mm bigger than the 36mm of the long side of a standard 35mm film. 2" = 5.12cm, so a 4x4 frame would have 2.56mm boarder around it, and still fit in a common 35mm projector.

"Superslides" were popular at tourist shops, sold as souvenirs. Hasselblad and Mamiya had backs for their SLRs to accept 127 film. Rollie and Yashica had dedicated TLRs. There may be other cameras I'm not familiar with. The only transparency film I was ever able to get was Ektachrome 64.

I also put a transparency over the ground glass of my Kiev 60, so that I knew where the image would be when I cut the 120 transparencies to make Superslides. Mamiya had a punch to cut the film down to size. I had high hopes of shooting Kodachrome 64 in 120 and mounting the images as superslides for projection, but by the time I got things worked out, MF Kodachrome was discontinued.

Arved Grass Photography Blog
Arved is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: