The Holy Trinity of lenses
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 464941
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default The Holy Trinity of lenses

I just completed getting the Holy Trinity.

a 35mm, 50mm, and 100mm for my.....Wait for it.

Argus C3 Tada!

Also a really clean new leather case. Next on the list is to recover the leather on the body.

Old 10-15-2013   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: The Holy Trinity of lenses

Why is your collection holy and not my preferred focal lengths 24mm, 35mm, 105mm?
Why not more common 28mm, 50mm, 135mm which have been the standard during the second half of the 20th century?
Why holy trinity, why not a holy quartet?

But as you enjoy your collection, congratulations. You might want to post an picture to give us an impression of that kit.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #3
Llama

Actually there is a reason that the Argus is the longest running production camera body. They may look like a brick (I prefer to call them Steampunk cameras) and operate like a Model A Ford but they keep on running with probably one of the best and dependable shutters made though there are only 5 speeds. The 50 is standard. Though a few others have made glass for the Argus C3 the Sandmars are the factory lenses with 35 and 100 being options.
And for an Argus C3 lover these are the Holy Trinity.
I'm modifying the flash gun posts so the camera will have s PC so I can fire the studio strobes and do a little studio work with the 100mm.
stdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 314440

Pretty wild looking camera! Have fun with it.
tryit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #5
Llama

Except for LF my film shooting small format is just for fun. I started a collection or mostly rangefinders. Excellent cameras that are off the radar of collect ability so can be had cheaply.
Old 10-27-2013   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1232477
Editing OK?: Ask First

My first camera in 1962 (I was age 12) was an Argus C-3. The sales guy at Central Camera tossed in a roll of Plus-X for luck. Some 51 years later and a photojournalism career that so far has spanned about 40 years (largely escaping the digital revolution) I still have that C-3 and use it from time-to-time. I've never even had to have it CLA'd. Works great.

Until now, I didn't know I could get additional lenses for it (though I never thought to look). That's REALLY cool ! Thanks for sharing that salient fact.
Mark
Mark Feldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #7
Llama

Hey Mark, I just poked around fleebay and locally until I found what I wanted with the quality and the price I was after. Right now I have 3 C-3's. I gave one to a young shooter that I mentor and we're getting her well educated shooting transparencies with the C-3)). She's doing quite well and after cutting her teeth on the little camera I'll mover her up to something bigger. I'm looking at a Kodak Medalist II so it might be MF or straight into the 4X5 depending on how she feels. She's 13 BTW and a grand daughter of a very good long time friend.
Old 12-26-2015   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 106270

Everybody has their own trinity.
Mine is 65mm, 90mm, and 360mm
Henrycrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016   #9
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684

well, there once was a trinity of lens preferred by photojournalists...

35mm, 50mm, and 85-100mm depending on what your camera manufacturer offered as a medium telephoto.

There was a holy trinity of cameras for the professional photographer: 4x5, 6x6, and 35mm. That was back in the 1960's, before that most could not afford multiple cameras, and in the 70's the 35mm SLR kind of took over, but by then you were expected to have multiple bodies and several lenses.

If you bought a new Speed Graphic in 1930 you probably were still using it in 1950. If you bought a new digital camera in 2010 you have probably replaced it twice already. This is what is called progress.
Old 06-05-2016   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1606297

Not sure of all the trinity discussions. I started in Nikon and bought their "trinity" with the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200mm. They are all great glass but after getting into film I am finding myself reaching for primes and out of them I love the 35mm the most.

Since getting into film I have bought a Speed Graphic 4x5, Hasselblad 500cm, Leica M6, Nikon F2, F3, Olympus OM-1, OM-10, Yashica C, Rollie 35 and a Pentax SPII. The funny thing is that the F3 (I own two) are the only ones that have failed on me. All others keep working!

Getting bitten by the film bug has not been freedom from the desire to own gear but rather it has allowed me to afford gear that I could not afford in the digital age. All the gear listed above, with a host of lenses, have cost me less than a digital Leica goes for (which I would love to have)!

I have sent my F2 for a CLA and once I save up a bit I will have my F3 repaired. I load, develop and print in my darkroom and love every minute of it.

Thanks for the heads up on the Argus. I will need to have a look at it!

BovrilArg
AKA Patrick

www.filmstillphotography.com

My family and I travel all over the world so photography was a logical way to capture the wonder of the places we go.
The lifestyle requires sacrifices such as not having friends or family near us. This is why Photocamel is so wonderful.
It lets me keep friendly photographers with me everywhere I go!
BovrilArg is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: