Film need NOT be dead - it's up to you! - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007   #21
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 185474
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Film need NOT be dead - it's up to you!

TMouse?.....
Thunder_o_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #22
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3037

Well I use both and enjoy both. When I want to slow down and just take a few shots I take one of my MF Nikon's most of the time I use my FE2 or FM3a and occasionally I use my 25 year old EM. I enjoy the look of slide film back light on a light box or projected. Sometimes I like to slow down and really enjoy the pace of film vs the on demand society we live in that created digital. For those who remember there were Fotomat's with then an amazing 1 day turnaround, then it was dealt a death blow by 1 hour processing and the little Fotomat booths slowly died off. I sometimes miss the slower pace and driving up to buy my film never leaving the car, but I too have embraced new technology.

When I am doing my parties and weddings that I do a few of each year I use my D80 with my D50 as a backup. Financially and for a piece of mind digital is for me the way to go in this world of photography. Now I did have one wedding where the client wanted nothing but BW and insisted on using film so I obliged I have to say I was on edge until the prints came back a few days later.

As far as keeping film up I just bought 15 rolls of Kodak EliteChrome 100 and 15 rolls of Kodak gold 100 as they were on sale and good date of 11/2008. I also have several rolls of Kodachrome64, Fujichrome Astia 100 and Velvia 50 in the fridge and will add some Ilford BW this week when B&H reopens.

Remembering the place called Fotomat! I think they have some online software under the name of Fotomat but without the little buiding and the girl behind the window its not the same. Butler NJ had the little building in the old A&P shopping center for years next to the Blimpie shop I have not been home in years I wonder if they have torn it down it was still there in the 90's.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fotomat.jpg (7.7 KB, 104 views)

Go Navy and bless all those in Harms Way
james23p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #23
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 460
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawk View Post
TMouse?.....

OOPS! THawk, that should have been.....got so wrapped up in the mouse thing that I had a senior moment.....Bob
heartseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #24
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 29

I know that I cant save film but Im gonna do all I can to help. To me the artistry in photography is lost in digital. I mean my 12 year old grandson can take and produce great images from a lousy shot from a digital point and shoot. All he does is go into PSP and he can fix most anything and that makes me feel like you dont have to be a good photographer just good at photo editing. I have a Kodak point and shoot and if I take a bad shot I just think thats ok my grandson can fix it and he does but with film I feel you have to learn the basics and expand from there to get great shots and not rely on a computer program to make your shot great. Im 56 years old and Im going back to school to learn all about photo editing, Its not that I want to its because I feel that digital is the future and I want to stay in to photography even though I feel digital isnt any where close to what you had to be when you shot film. Just my opinion. Jimi
Old 10-02-2007   #25
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Editing OK?: Yes

Jimi, I shot only film for 65 years before just recently adding digital to my arsenal. No disrespect to your grandson, but a lousy shot is a lousy shot whether taken on film or digital. There is a limit to the amount of post processing repair work that can be done, and it can be done with either scanned film or digital image straight from the camera. As for learning the basics, it is really essential in order to get good results from either medium.
Old 10-02-2007   #26
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 30157

Wow, Jim you bring back memories of those good days. I have inherited almost 300 rolls (120mm, 35mm B&W, Color, Slide) due to the US Army closing our local MWR photolab...Thanks Army...
photojazz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #27
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimiw View Post
I know that I cant save film but Im gonna do all I can to help. To me the artistry in photography is lost in digital.
Jimi, I tend to agree with your sentiments myself. I don't think I can ever get the detail from a 35mm film that I get from say a Canon 5D, but I do miss the magic of film. It's not the same thing loading up another gigabyte or several of images via the CF reader. I do try and work in a 'film' manner with digital (i.e. - make every shot count) but it's so easy to just click away knowing that there'll be a pretty good chance of a keeper. It's almost like the old adage of give a monkey a typewriter and infinite time and they'll write Hamlet - ok not quite the same, but you get my drift .
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #28
Vicuna

Please dont misunderstand me I do believe that digital does have its place but I also feel it takes alot away from learning the basics as so many wont bother to learn them because they dont have to. As long as they can fix their images in a photo editor. Ive read else where on this site that now because of digital almost anybody can or at least think they can be a photographer, just point and shoot. To me photography is an art and to be good you must learn the basics and expand from there. Thanks All, Jimi
Old 10-02-2007   #29
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 185474

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartseye View Post
OOPS! THawk, that should have been.....got so wrapped up in the mouse thing that I had a senior moment.....Bob
Don`t sweat it, I have senior moments every day (I will be 51 in jan o8

Kinda cool to see the looks on the 4 wheelers faces when I do tho

I`m with you all the way in this jimi !

Last edited by Thunder_o_b; 10-02-2007 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: wrong date
Thunder_o_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #30
Vicuna

Thanks Thunderhawk Jimi

jimiw is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: