Colour Film Developed as B&W
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1519256
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Colour Film Developed as B&W

I had my first try at developing 400 Easy pix Colour film using B&W Ilfosol 3 developer. I left it in the developer for 12mm agitating for 5 sec every 30 sec. I scanned the negatives as color on my Epson 4490 and did finial adjustments in PS cs5. Photos were taken with a Chinon CM-4 camera and a Pentax 50mm f2 lens. Thrift Shop finds.

Station 1 by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

Hydrant 3 by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

Up Hill Walk by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

Rafters by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

Signal by dbuckle2695, on Flickr

Old 04-24-2013   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Colour Film Developed as B&W

Yes, it seems to work, but why bothering?

Black & white don't really cost more than colour and will give you better results.

If you want to work with colour film and you don't want to hand them to you local drug-store, developing them with the C-41 process in your kitchen isn't much more complicated than doing black & white and not much more expensive either. For example the Tetenal C-41 2-Stage kit gives very good results when processing it at 30 degree Celsius.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #3
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by korman View Post
Yes, it seems to work, but why bothering?

Black & white don't really cost more than colour and will give you better results.

If you want to work with colour film and you don't want to hand them to you local drug-store, developing them with the C-41 process in your kitchen isn't much more complicated than doing black & white and not much more expensive either. For example the Tetenal C-41 2-Stage kit gives very good results when processing it at 30 degree Celsius.

Korman
Yes but most of the time that i get colour prints back from processing I convert them to B&W anyways. I got 8 rolls of this film at the thrift store for 50 cents so it was a chance to play at no risk. If I have a choice I buy B&W film but it is hard to find B&W film for less then 7 cents a roll.
dbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882
Editing OK?: Ask First

Really, it's all about you enjoying your craft and really catering to no one but yourself for your own personal enjoyment. I do a lot of the same myself because I have the time and enjoy "do it yourself" satisfaction.
Have a great time, I know I do and if no one else is impressed, "what the hey", it's your life.....enjoy it.
I do my own "woodworking", photography, electrical work and even some advanced "cooking" because I enjoy the reward of accompishment...go for it. I like some of your images, they show some thought without firing off a dozen digital images and then picking one out of the flock. Thanks.
I just got back a roll of color (first one) from my new/old Canon F-1....more than happy with the results. I had resealed the light seals and bought some new lenses as well as modifying the battery setup to utilize "hearing-aid" batteries in the F-1. I don't think any of the shots will hang in the Smithsonian but they are clear and clean, my initial purpose for testing. My dog told me they weren't very good shots (he gets no supper) but anyone can be a critic I guess.
Old 04-27-2013   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 60573
Editing OK?: No

I shoot medium and large format film, black and white and color (E6 and C41). I don't do the chemicals anymore. Too much hassle. So when my local developing camera shop develops my film images, I get the best scan they can offer (3000 X 2000) and stick the images in photoshop elements (my version is 7) and convert to B&W there even if they were B&W negatives. Why? I don't trust the shop to go through the 'tedious' re-setup of the scan process from default color to B&W. Why that? Because some equipment converts color to B&W by just deleting the hues. Feh. So I get true gray scale images (saved as TIFF) to print out on laser as native B&W. Results are awesome.
The shots I really value I take to a true mini lab and have the photos developed wet. Yeah like totally old school.
katwilphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #6
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by katwilphoto View Post
I shoot medium and large format film, black and white and color (E6 and C41). I don't do the chemicals anymore. Too much hassle. So when my local developing camera shop develops my film images, I get the best scan they can offer (3000 X 2000) and stick the images in photoshop elements (my version is 7) and convert to B&W there even if they were B&W negatives. Why? I don't trust the shop to go through the 'tedious' re-setup of the scan process from default color to B&W. Why that? Because some equipment converts color to B&W by just deleting the hues. Feh. So I get true gray scale images (saved as TIFF) to print out on laser as native B&W. Results are awesome.
The shots I really value I take to a true mini lab and have the photos developed wet. Yeah like totally old school.
Sounds interesting. I enjoy trying something new (to me) If it works fine if it doesn't then so what. I have nothing but time. I like taking cameras or film that's headed for the trash and using them. I have more cameras then I know what to do with but it doesn't stop me from buying just one more.
dbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 106270

I would like to find fault with your pictures but after careful scrutiny I CAN'T!!
Henrycrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684

At 7 cents a roll, feel free to sneer at me...

I have some out dated 35mm color film in the fridge, that I don't want to spend money using up, but I guess I can shoot and process a black and white like you have (I do color in digital, b&w in film these days).

www.tomrit.com
tomrit is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: