4x5 camera
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012   #1
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 400158
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 4x5 camera

I have a TOYO 45CF had some lily's and broke it out and shot this attached . I used one of my older Lenses made By Goerz its a Double-anastigmat lens Focus is 6 1/2 inch's I used it at F-8 Not to bad for its age. enjoy and comments welcome here

seawolf66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: 4x5 camera

I'd like to see more contrast. With sheet film this is better done by adjusting the exposure and development rather than in the printing or scanning. Lighting more from above or a side might make the flower appear more three diminsional. Tighter cropping would improve the top of the background.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #3
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
I'd like to see more contrast. With sheet film this is better done by adjusting the exposure and development rather than in the printing or scanning. Lighting more from above or a side might make the flower appear more three diminsional. Tighter cropping would improve the top of the background.
Jim: the best time for me to use the 4x5 is about 1pm to 4pm , I am getting reflective light thru the window and its strong enough for white core board to bounce a lot of light on the subject, at least I think so, been wrong many of a time. I have attached a drawing of my set up.
what I had forgot to tell is this, I was shooting Kodak TRI-X Pan
film dated 1997 been stored cold .
comments are always welcome: Lauren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drawing.jpg (43.8 KB, 113 views)
Old 03-08-2012   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383
Editing OK?: Yes

I would probably use a similar lighting setup, but with the light reflected from the foamcore reduced somewhat by draping the foamcore with grey fabric. The bright and out-of-focus leaves at the bottom also bother me. If it is impossible to arrange the flower and use small enough aperture to get everything sharply in focus, one can reduce the light falling on the leaves by shading the light falling on them. For macro photography, we often have to use the smallest aperture available for maximum depth of field. Many lenses won't stop down enough. This is probably to discourage photographers from using such small aprtures that diffraction limits image sharpness. However, in this photo, the slight overall loss of sharpness resulting from using an aperture usually considered too small may be better than those out=of-focus leaves. The most out-of-focus leaf could also be cropped out or edited out.

Is the image from a scan of the negative or from a print? If the negative is too dense, a scanner might lose contrast in the bright areas of the flower and leaves. If you scanned a print, either printing darker or setting the scanner to yield more detail in the highlights might help.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1215

I agree with the contast comment. The flower has a nice "glowing" effect but needs more shape within the flower I think. But I've nver used a large camera so feel free to ignore me.
InsuredDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #6
Photocamel Master

I thank you both for your comments, Jim I'll get there yet
Old 03-18-2012   #7
Photocamel Master

Here is another stab at 4x5 film, boy I have forgotten a lot of how to process film 4x5, I am using T-Max 400 but being shoot at 200 ISO and developed for 400 ISO
I have changed developer have gone to HCC-110 and need to prewash film before processing Etc , Etc
here is my first negative via HCC-110 1-31 dilution 68degrees for 8-1/2mins
I think its a little better then again I may wrong
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hexar-15cm-.jpg (77.2 KB, 80 views)
Old 03-19-2012   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1215

I think the overall contrast is much better in the second one.

Are you scanning negatives or prints? What scanner are you using? I'm curious how much adjusting you do to the scans? I used to use the auto settings but sometimes that falls a bit short.

As Jim pointed out you might be able to bring back some detail in the highlights. I think the scanner might have had a bit of a time dealing with all the black in the background.

I hope I don't offend, but since I've only shot 35mm, I'm picturing you with this huge camera on a tripod and all. Did you take the above shot, develop it and call it a day or did you shoot several different shots? Do you sometimes set everything up and then sit around thinking for 5 minutes if you should hit the shutter or not? I pay around $2 for a 36 exposure roll, so I wonder what it must be like to pay considerably more for a shot. I know the field cameras are not really built for speed, but what is it like shooting with one?
InsuredDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #9
Photocamel Master

I am retired so I can afford to play a little bit , My major problem is understand contrast, I know that's part of the gray scale but understanding more contrast or less contrast is where I get lost most of the time, I may to go back to school evenings for B&W processing
again, I do understand High contrast which is more black and white than greys , low contrast is what I would call muddy greys or flat photo; Knowing that the grey scale runs from zero to 255 is one thing but get the balance to make it proper is the problem:
And thank's for chiming in here: Jim is a great person :

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuredDisaster View Post
I think the overall contrast is much better in the second one.

Are you scanning negatives or prints? What scanner are you using? I'm curious how much adjusting you do to the scans? I used to use the auto settings but sometimes that falls a bit short.

As Jim pointed out you might be able to bring back some detail in the highlights. I think the scanner might have had a bit of a time dealing with all the black in the background.

I hope I don't offend, but since I've only shot 35mm, I'm picturing you with this huge camera on a tripod and all. Did you take the above shot, develop it and call it a day or did you shoot several different shots? Do you sometimes set everything up and then sit around thinking for 5 minutes if you should hit the shutter or not? I pay around $2 for a 36 exposure roll, so I wonder what it must be like to pay considerably more for a shot. I know the field cameras are not really built for speed, but what is it like shooting with one?
Old 03-20-2012   #10
Photocamel Master

Jim Jones: Is the image from a scan of the negative or from a print? If the negative is too dense, a scanner might lose contrast in the bright areas of the
flower and leaves. If you scanned a print, either printing darker or setting the scanner to yield more detail in the highlights might help.

I use negative's and I scan on a Epson 4870 scanner with Silverfast 6. soft ware the learning curve is slow but I am adapting to it slowly:

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: