"Generic" color film
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1106
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default "Generic" color film

A train photo (Pere Marquette #1223 in Grand Haven, Michigan) and a machinery detail photographed last weekend.

Bright, sunny skies so harsh lighting and high contrast scenes. I don't have any exposure data, since I just set the camera in "P" mode and let it do the work.

The non-exotic equipment that I used...
Film: Kodak color 200 (I think...)
Camera: Nikon N90S
Lens: Nikon 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-D
Process: FujiColor lab at Sam's Club and scanned to a photo CD,

I need to decide which of my (too many) film cameras to play with next...

Who says film is dead?

File Type: jpg 097121-R1-06-18A.jpg (119.8 KB, 113 views)
Old 02-27-2012   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882
Default Re: "Generic" color film

Read my post above, it is dead in some areas if you can't buy it. I will now buy 100 ft. rolls and load myself because i can't buy cartridges.
Old 03-15-2012   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1215

Still think film has a certain look to it that can't be duplicated without some effort (if at all) by digital. Nice look.

Did you perhaps get in a bit closer to the train to cut out the sign and some of the fence? Mighht look cool if you go wide but get in close.

Just bought every 3 pack of GC-200 in the local supermarket today (good price actually) and will be shooting some of it myself!
InsuredDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1106

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuredDisaster View Post
Did you perhaps get in a bit closer to the train to cut out the sign and some of the fence? Mighht look cool if you go wide but get in close.
Thank you for asking.

Yes, I did move in closer, and I think that it does look cool. I usually take several, both with the information sign so that I can remember where I was, and one without to display the subject itself. I previously posted this in "Show us your train shots" (see Post #402) so here it is again without signage.

The tall concrete structure to the right is a Grand Trunk Western Railroad standard coal tower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 097121-R1-09-15A.jpg (143.8 KB, 83 views)
Old 03-15-2012   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1215

Very nice. . . I like. Now jump the fence kneel down low and FILL the frame. Just kidding. Thanks for sharing. Bet it was a fun outing.
InsuredDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 34
Editing OK?: No

Very nice job! I still shot film myself.
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1263

There is something about the grain/texture of "film" that pixels just can't replicate!! (imho)

-Soupy1957
Old 06-14-2012   #8
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 352140

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuredDisaster View Post
Still think film has a certain look to it that can't be duplicated without some effort (if at all) by digital. Nice look.
Bingo!

I still shoot film... B&W, Color Neg, Chromes...

I process it all myself too

SpeedGraphicMan is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: