A hybrid shot with my Nikon F4s
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1215
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default A hybrid shot with my Nikon F4s

I posted this in the kids section, but also thought I'd post it here since it was done with film, though it did some hybrid stuff with it. I've got an enlarger but still need to get a bunch of stuff to use it. (negative holder, paper, etc) But one day I hope to attempt to print this shot fully analog.

Shot with Legacy Pro 400, which as a film I find has a bit less contrast than my all time favorite of Ilford Pan 400 but seems to be pretty good. Of course, I boosted the contrast and blacks, and applied a duotone

Old 01-31-2012   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: A hybrid shot with my Nikon F4s

If you like to shoot film, (and I do), hybrid is the way to go. Much easier to control the process than a darkroom. Thanks for posting this.

I am not familiar with Legacy film, but if you know it to have less contrast than Ilford you must be careful to get the exposure right. This looks like it is a bit overexposed, and that's hard to deal with in both the darkroom and the computer.
Old 02-02-2012   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 54

Really nice picture there
YACOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #4
Vicuna

Thanks for the comments. Yes, it was a bit over exposed, but given what I wanted to do with it, I actually prefered that one over the more properly exposed one.
InsuredDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumesan View Post
If you like to shoot film, (and I do), hybrid is the way to go. Much easier to control the process than a darkroom. Thanks for posting this.
If you are a computer wienie.

I still claim that if you do not know the process of photography, you are not really a photographer. I have a keyboard; all I have to do is turn a knob and press a button to play a song on it, so I must be a musician. I can import the song into my computer and change it if I like. What is different about that from using my digital camera?

On the other hand, some of my musician friends claimed I was a musician because I could (barely) pick out a tune on my mandolin. Actually, I can read music, I just have no sense of rhythm. That is sort of like a photographer who has no sense of composition.

Analog photography is a craft. Digital photography is a process. Computers are real good at doing processes, I have never seen one that could do a craft.
Old 02-24-2012   #6
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrit View Post
I still claim that if you do not know the process of photography, you are not really a photographer.

Analog photography is a craft. Digital photography is a process. Computers are real good at doing processes, I have never seen one that could do a craft.
From the moment one decides to make a photo, up to the moment when the latent image is captured on film or digital sensor, the process (or craft if you prefer the word) is identical regardless of the medium.

Converting that latent image into a print (or made visible on some other medium) requires a different set of skills for film or digital; but skills nevertheless. It would appear that you have mastered one of these skill sets, but not the other. Don't give up; you didn't learn your wet darkroom skills overnight either.
Old 02-24-2012   #7
Vicuna

I sort of see the point Tomrit is making. I also agree with him up to a point. Not sure why, as Blumesan also is quite right. I guess in a sense, when you use digital to emulate film, its a sort of cheating, but at the same time, I sometimes spend a good bit of time doing digital files up the way I want them to be, and I don't really use actions or saved presets in Lightroom. I just edit them as I desire. I've trialed those programs such as Alienskin's Exposure, where they claim you can click on a preset and boom, an instant velvia 50 look to your digital file or maybe you prefer pushed Tri-X. I haven't bought the program since it is $250 for a plug in, and thinking along Tomrit's line, I just don't see the point of trying to emulate a Holga with light leaks when I've got 2 of them. I guess ultimately, digital is about making something I like, and not just selecting what someone else has done.

Anyway, digital has its place as does film.
InsuredDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012   #8
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuredDisaster View Post
Anyway, digital has its place as does film.
Yes, and this is certainly not the place to revive the old and tired digital vs. film debate.

I too prefer to avoid the "push one button and presto" type of plugin. I am quite willing to put in the time and effort to achieve my vision rather than accept someone else's notion of what the image should look like. But they do sell and I am quite willing to judge an image on how it appears rather than how it was processed.
Old 02-25-2012   #9
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumesan View Post
From the moment one decides to make a photo, up to the moment when the latent image is captured on film or digital sensor, the process (or craft if you prefer the word) is identical regardless of the medium.

Converting that latent image into a print (or made visible on some other medium) requires a different set of skills for film or digital; but skills nevertheless. It would appear that you have mastered one of these skill sets, but not the other. Don't give up; you didn't learn your wet darkroom skills overnight either.
I learned about computers a few years ago, about 50 of them in fact, the USAF thought I would be good at it. Of course I started developing & printing my own film somewhat before that. These days I choose to do color and documentary imaging in digital sometimes for pay; and B&W photography in the darkroom as a hobby.

Crafts require mental and physical involvement. They are repetitive, but never repetitive to the point of just being a process. Photography is a strange thing, the producing of a fine print is definitely a craft. On the other hand is pushing the button and letting someone else do the rest a craft? Billions of people who do that call themselves photographers.

Buying a hammer does not make someone a carpenter. Buying a piano does not make someone a pianist. The only two things I know of where people simply buying and using something makes them instantly into and expert is a camera makes them a photographer, and a car makes them a driver. In both cases 99.9% of the time they are really merely an operator, but they get to pretend otherwise.

Digital imaging can certainly be an art. Photography can be an art. But, at least to my mind, only one of those is also craft. Yes, I am arguing with those billions of people, but this is the Film Camera Forum and I would think therefore that there ought to be quite a few people on this forum that agree with me (I do note that there are also some trolls who post here too).

So, in the end, if you do not personally use the photographic process, are you a photographer? Maybe it is simply using a camera that makes you a photographer (Some artist's claimed that their contemporaries who used the camera obscura were mere photographers).

My argument is not that one media is better than another, but that if you do not use the photographic process, why the heck do you call yourself a photographer. Personally, I do photography, digital imaging, and at one time I used to sketch quite a bit. I consider those all valid ways of making and image, but they are all quite different from each other.
Old 02-25-2012   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 3773387

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrit View Post
I learned about computers a few years ago, about 50 of them in fact, the USAF thought I would be good at it. Of course I started developing & printing my own film somewhat before that. These days I choose to do color and documentary imaging in digital sometimes for pay; and B&W photography in the darkroom as a hobby.

Crafts require mental and physical involvement. They are repetitive, but never repetitive to the point of just being a process. Photography is a strange thing, the producing of a fine print is definitely a craft. On the other hand is pushing the button and letting someone else do the rest a craft? Billions of people who do that call themselves photographers.

Buying a hammer does not make someone a carpenter. Buying a piano does not make someone a pianist. The only two things I know of where people simply buying and using something makes them instantly into and expert is a camera makes them a photographer, and a car makes them a driver. In both cases 99.9% of the time they are really merely an operator, but they get to pretend otherwise.

Digital imaging can certainly be an art. Photography can be an art. But, at least to my mind, only one of those is also craft. Yes, I am arguing with those billions of people, but this is the Film Camera Forum and I would think therefore that there ought to be quite a few people on this forum that agree with me (I do note that there are also some trolls who post here too).

So, in the end, if you do not personally use the photographic process, are you a photographer? Maybe it is simply using a camera that makes you a photographer (Some artist's claimed that their contemporaries who used the camera obscura were mere photographers).

My argument is not that one media is better than another, but that if you do not use the photographic process, why the heck do you call yourself a photographer. Personally, I do photography, digital imaging, and at one time I used to sketch quite a bit. I consider those all valid ways of making and image, but they are all quite different from each other.

Photography has evolved. Technology evolves. Digital is a current photographic process.

So if your not using a horse drawn farm equipment you are no longer a farmer?

In English, to describe something as a craft is to describe it as lying somewhere between an art (which relies on talent) and a science (which relies on knowledge).

A craft can also be something that is made by hand.

It takes quite a bit of knowledge to understand digital PP on the professional level.

At the end of the day, whether it's our hand on a material or our hands on a keyboard/mouse, our brains are making all the decisions.

The medium is irrelevant to the final vision. In my opinion of course.

jake

jake337 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: