Agfa CT Precisa 100, eight years expired?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Agfa CT Precisa 100, eight years expired?

Hello!

I recently picked up analog photography as a hobby beside my heavy DSLR, and I'm very happy with my dad's old and light OM-2. I have got excellent results with TX400 and HC-110, and the scans are terrific.

Now I discovered two rolls of Agfa CT Precisa 100 slide film in my parent's fridge where it has been for more than a decade. The film expired in 2003 but has been in stored at +8C all the time.

I'm not afraid of using these rolls as "creative" or lomo film, so color shifts and contrast loss aside, what should I remember when shooting? My first question is about film speed, should I down-rate them to 50 ASA?

The film will be developed at a professional lab (Startsida | Crimson) , should I give them special instructions? Should I try cross-processing?

Happy for answers!

Old 10-12-2011   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Agfa CT Precisa 100, eight years expired?

I would start out by shooting one roll at the rated iso and process normally. Based on how that comes out you can adjust for the other rolls.
Old 10-13-2011   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11

I thought of that myself, too. However, I only have two rolls, so there won't be much to gain by doing that. Does anyone else have experience with this?
Thanks
Etnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Freezing film pauses expiration? Please let me know because that is awesome info. No joke.
TatianaEightySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatianaEightySeven View Post
Freezing film pauses expiration? Please let me know because that is awesome info. No joke.
That's a technique which film photographers have been using since before the great flood.

It doesn't prevent deterioration altogether, but it can extend the film's useful life by several years.
Old 10-17-2011   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684

Kept continuously frozen film will last for decades, kept refrigerated it will last for years. However, repeated thawing and recooling can be worse than just leaving it at room temperture.
Old 10-21-2011   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 788
Editing OK?: Ask first

I've had some Kodak Ektachrome in the fridge since 1994 that I use occasionally, and it still works fine processed normally. It has been refrigerated, not frozen, for over 15 years. I'd shoot and process it normally and see what you get.

Bob

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: