Considering doing film photography as a hobby. Can i succeed? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011   #21
Dromedary

Location: Travelin' the US in Motorhome, Shooting pictures and Painting.
CamelKarma: 3315
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Considering doing film photography as a hobby. Can i succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
A lot been said here, but how about a simple body, and lens, a 2.00 roll of film, and go enjoy yourself?

I have all the best in digital equipment. Yet, I recently purchased a Nikon Fe2 with 35, 50, and 75-150 for less than a dinner for 2.

On many days, I take the FE2 with 35mm, and snap away. In my case, I have a film scanner, so I just get negatives developed for a couple dollars and go from there.
However, there were a few instances, where I preferred to get the roll developed and printed, and for 8.00 I had 36 real nice prints, that went into an old fashioned photo album.

On another note..... when my time passes, I now my photo albums will be stacked in my closet, and my children and grandchildren will always have my pictures at their fingertips.
I don't think anyone will try to convert a RAW file.
Dont be sure of that... One Niece and three of my grandchildren have asked me to leave my RAW files to them. The Niece has been involved in photography for about 20 years, processed all her own digital work with Lightroom.

My grandchildren are now old enough to leave home, two in college, one a missionary in P.R. who had set up a darkroom there and is teaching Photography as a hobby. She probably will get my digital camera and lenses. The other two, have decent Nikons, but they rave about my images and want them eventually. I print 16x20s one of the best each year, and a print goes to all my 17 grandchildren.

We need to not only pass on our photos, but teach the next generation to create the best they can. Am also an artist, painting with oils and acrylics and have taught two other grandchildren to paint. At the rate they are going, they will take what they have learned and create even better paintings than Ive been able....

Photography shouldn’t really be about photography, it’s more to do with the stuff around you – beauty, ugliness, joy, melancholy, the weird and the familiar.”
RJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #22
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

As the original creator of this thread, i felt obligated to tell everyone as to what happened in my pursuit of film shooting.
So I got an old Canon AE-1 Program (with a Canon 28mm FD and a Sears 135mm) for 75 bucks from e-bay, loaded it with a 24-exposure Kodak BW400CN
film and boy, i took more than a month to take 24 snaps. Had it been my Oly e-5, i could have taken 24 snaps in less than 15 mins.

Out of 24, most of them were either out of focus by a mile or were grossly under-exposed. Attached are some of the keepers. Even in the
keepers, a couple were not focused properly but am hoping to sharpen them in Gimp.

Lessons learned from shooting just one roll of film

• Children are the worst subjects to shoot if one were to go from digital to film
  • To be patient. The fact that i took more than a month to complete a roll stands as a testimony to this. Many days, i would come back even without taking a single snap just because i wasn't able to get a good composition with my running kid.

Lessons to be learned by shooting lots of film
Composition, metering and every other aspect that goes in to making a great picture.

So if i had shot digital, out of 24, there would have have been 5-6 keepers. Same here. Though i ended up spending around 7-8 bucks to develop and scan, i feel some sense of accomplishment.

If you notice the pics, most of them has lots of dust (though it gives a pretty vintage look). Checked the lenses but they don't have any dust spots. Can any one tell if they are because of the scanning? I would be really disappointed if thats the case since i skipped my nearby walgreens to go to a far but a dedicated camera shop

So this going-to-film adventure has kicked-off something in me. I'm planning to shoot a lot of film this winter and am hoping to learn a lot in the process.

Thanks a lot to everyone for all the kind words.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0224412-R1-E012.jpg (196.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 0224412-R1-E020.jpg (69.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 0224412-R1-E022.jpg (49.0 KB, 99 views)
drkm_4_frm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #23
Dromedary

Location: Travelin' the US in Motorhome, Shooting pictures and Painting.
CamelKarma: 3315
Editing OK?: No

First, ANYONE can succeed, when they allow themselves enough time to learn.
Only quitting before then, allows you to fail...

The dust specs are from scanning. Have to use a good clean scanner, as the dust is very tiny, magnified in enlarging from 35mm... Static can attract the dust when it is dry.

Cleaning the scanner glass with a product made for computer screens can help if it has anti-static properties. Then using a "microfiber" cleaning cloth can get anything left. Use it between each negative as dust can land on the glass while removing and adding others.

Also, cleaning the negatives themselves, brushing them off with an antistatic camels hair brush made for cleaning negatives. Working in as dust free environment as possible helps.

When working in a darkroom, would vacuum it thoroughly with a tank type vacuum with PAPER FILTER in the exhaust the day before working with negatives... That allowed any dust left that was stirred up to settle.

Even then we could not get _every_ spec... We had to retouch images after creating them to remove the specks. If you have Photoshop or Gimp which is free on the internet and has a lot of similar features. It is much easier and faster to remove them, we used dyes on finished prints, mixing them to match the shades of gray... Can do in seconds in PS, what used to take 10 minutes or more...

Now, as I said before, would recommend The Print by Ansel Adams and if you can find a copy a book about photographing children by Joseph Schneider (SP) the latter is out of print, but you may find one in a used book store or good library. If not, Id pay anything they want for a used one on the Internet. Many times you can find books for a reasonable price in Half Bay or Amazon... Schneider's book in my opinion is worth its weight in gold...

You need to shoot MUCH more. Use the camera at least once a week, preferably ever day... FILM is the cheapest materiel you have to use, time is expensive, the longer you take getting started, the more it cost you in the long run..... Practice, daily will get be more beneficial in a month, than a year of practicing at the rate you have been...

Printing your images a bit darker or more contrast, would enhance them, making them POP!
It could also bring out a bit more detail in the dress and the blanket.

If OK with you, could make a copy and some changes to show you what can be done, with these as they are.

Photography shouldn’t really be about photography, it’s more to do with the stuff around you – beauty, ugliness, joy, melancholy, the weird and the familiar.”
RJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #24
Alpaca

Johnston, thanks a lot for all your kind words and encouragement.
With people like you willing to help, I'm only encouraged to shoot more now.

I didn't develop the film myself but gave it to a local camera shop. I think they should have done a better job with the scanning. Getting a personal scanner is also in my mind.

I was already in the process of acquiring the books you suggested, so will get that soon.

You want to copy and post process my pictures? Thats so kind of you. Please feel free to do so sir.
Old 10-23-2011   #25
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkm_4_frm View Post
Johnston, thanks a lot for all your kind words and encouragement.
With people like you willing to help, I'm only encouraged to shoot more now.
You want to copy and post process my pictures? Thats so kind of you. Please feel free to do so sir.
Hi,

I think you have done very well indeed with your first attempt at film photography! It's a shame that the lab left so much dust on your negatives, but this can be cleaned up with some simple post processing. I am just getting back into film photography myself, for the first time in 33 years, having recently purchased a pristine Minolta Maxxum 700si 35mm camera. I will be doing my own b/w developing (extremely simple to do) and, after much research, have ordered a Plustek 7600i dedicated 35mm scanner. (about $400) I normally shoot my Fogo Island (Newfoundland) landscapes using multiple Sony Alpha dslr's, but I got bitten by the film bug a couple of months ago, and am looking forward to some old-school photography!

I hope you don't mind, but I spent about a minute or so doing just a rough-and-ready edit to one of your pictures, and I believe it looks outstanding by just adding a bit of extra contrast and sharpness. I didn't take time to remove all of the dust spots, but with a little while spent on these, you could really have some terrific results.

My advice to you is to just keep at it; take LOTS of photos, and remember that there are many people on forums like this that you can always turn to for advice, including myself. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to email me at any time (Glen@FocusOnNewfoundland.com) and I will reply promptly.

I look forward to seeing many more photos from you soon!

Best regards,
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland: about my photography:

camperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011   #26
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 30264
Editing OK?: Yes

I applaud your effort to learn film. After picking up a film camera and shooting with just film for a while my skills greatly improved with the technical side of photography. Now that I no longer shoot for a living and photography is again my favorite hobby I shoot 95% of my family shots with B&W film and develop it myself.

Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

JD
Dratom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011   #27
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1283

photography is great you will always come back for more
Premedit8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #28
Alpaca

For nothing more, other than to motivate you..... Here are some recent scans from my FE2 and Oly OM-2.
The first was taken on Fuji 160s Pro 35mm film, and scanned at home, on my Epson V750.

Nikon FE2:

Here are a couple from an OLY Om2 someone threw away, and I grabbed it on the way to the trash can
There was a 50, 35 and 80-200 in the bag too.

Taken on Kodak CN400 BW
Processed at Walgreens.

Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011   #29
Alpaca

Great Pics anthony. The dog and the kid both look adorable!

Now here is a problem for all the film experts to solve...

Just got a roll of film (CN 400 BW ) developed from walgreens. Since i didn't have a scanner, asked them to give pics in a CD. And what i got... didn't look great :-( Attached are some samples of what i shot. Almost all the pics on the picture CD looked like the ones below.

I'm no expert but i have a feeling, they pushed it way too much when developing.

Is it because of poor scanning or poor developing? Any idea how to postprocess to restore these. I use GIMP, but will be getting started with lightroom in a couple of days. Please feel free to download and try out the images if you want to...

My bad luck with film development continues... I believe the only way to overcome this is to do develop and scan it myself
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R1-01540-0021.jpg (85.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg R1-01540-0011.jpg (79.1 KB, 50 views)
Old 11-13-2011   #30
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924

The magenta cast to the images may be a result of development or scanning; more likely the latter. You should be able to get rid of it with lightroom. The second photo looks like the camera meter was fooled by the backlighting, so the faces are underexposed.

blumesan is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: