Advice for buying a nikon film camera
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 155965
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Advice for buying a nikon film camera

hello!
i'd like to get a film camera, to see how shooting with film is. i already have a nikon d90 and lenses for it, so the most logical thing would be to go with nikon. Now, since i just wanna play around with it, i don't wanna spend a fortune on the camera. How much? dunno, as less as possible. i've seen some f60 SH, and the price was quite good.
What would you guys recommend me?
Thanks in advance!

Oh, one more question. Since most of my lenses are of DX format, on a film camera, will the photo be vignetted? i know this may sound like a stupid question for many of you, but i never dealt with a FF slr so far, be it digital or film....
Cheers!

Tinel.

Slik Pro 330 DX tripod
my photoblog: http://emtee-photography.blogspot.com

comments welcomed, critics even more.
thebeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

If you can, you really ought to save up for a F80. It'll be more in line with your D90 in functionality. The F60/65 are extremely feature-stripped; they make the D40 look full-featured. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

Honestly unless you absolutely want to shoot film I would recommend saving your money for something else, like another lens, groceries, rent, etc.

What lenses do you have right now? If they're in your sig I apologize, but when viewing on my phone I can't see your signature. I'll be sure to check back into this thread when I'm on a computer.

Some DX lenses vignette across the entire zoom range, while others will work in film/full frame/FX at some lengths.

Posted via mobile device using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2011   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 15515
Default Re: Advice for buying a nikon film camera

Make sure you have a source of film and a place to process it. Back in the film days we recorded each shots parameters by hand as we tried an exposure. Then we processed the film. I did B&W and color slide. Then printed a contact sheet. Looked at thumbnails. To decide wich ones we would try to print. If you kept good notes you could learn to get good exposures most of the time. In '81 I bought a canon AE-1, it had auto exposure. All you had to do was focus and trip the shutter. What a treat. It would even set the aperature for you. ISO/ASA was strictly a matter of wich film you installed. ... I can understand one's desire to learn how things were done in the old days. You would be paying cash for things you no longer need to do. The new DSLR method is soo much faster to learn.

You are who you choose to be, are you who you want to be?
Gene243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1106
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeing View Post
i'd like to get a film camera, to see how shooting with film is. ...Now, since i just wanna play around with it, i don't wanna spend a fortune on the camera. How much? dunno, as less as possible.
Oh, Nikon made so many...

OK, I think that one of the most cost-effective Nikon film cameras for just playing around is the L35AF. It is a little 'point-and-shoot' that has a very sharp 35mm f/2.8 auto focus lens, and you can find them for $25 or so. Other 'point-and-shoot' zoom cameras in the Lite Touch family also have auto exposure and auto focus modes and also do a credible job, and are about the same price. You can stuff one in your pocket and go play all day! Oh, and the L35AW or Action Touch model is waterproof and submersible to about 3 meters, if you want to play near or in the water!

The Manual Focus SLR realm has several examples. I have a 'cheap' EM (aperture-priority exposure) that is almost a throw-away but capable of good images for about the same price as the point-and-shoot. I also have the FG, which is the same size as the EM but with A and P modes as well as Manual! Then too, I still have my FM, fully manual with LED lightmeter. On any of these 'vintage' cameras you can expect some leaky light seals and they can be a bit 'touchy' so they may not be the best first choice.

The auto focus first-generation F501/N2020 let's you choose from (3!) P modes! as well as A and Manual. It has auto focus, DX speed coding and a power winder and can be a lot of fun on a budget. Oldie, but not incompetent... There was also the F301/N2000 model with the same features as the F501/N2020 but with manual focus only.

The 'second-generation' includes the N6006 and the N8008s. These will only focus AF or AF-D lenses automatically, but not the AF-S. They will work quite well with manual focus lenses, and have a form of focus assist.

My favorite is the the N90s, sort of a third-generation, that will auto focus AF, AF-D and AF-S lenses, but can also provide a superior matrix metering with manual lenses. It's kind of a do-it-all.

If you want to spend a lot of time, do visit http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...dels/index.htm for a comprehensive history of Nikon!

Check out your favorite used camera section or online auction site. You should be able to find cameras from $25 to $250 for a good functioning example. If you spot a particular mode that appeals to you, don't be shy, ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeing View Post
...Since most of my lenses are of DX format, on a film camera, will the photo be vignetted?
Well, in my limited experience, the answer is "Yes and no." My 18-55mm DX will vignette when used between 24mm to 18mm, but otherwise works fine on my N90s. Others may be able to tell you more about your lenses.

I still 'play with film' when I get the chance, and am fortunate that the local Sam's Club still operates their Fuji film lab at very reasonable prices. Walgreen and Walmart in your area may still process film, too.

That covers some of my thoughts, and don't hesitate to ask further.
JimmyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #5
Camel Breath

Quote:
Since most of my lenses are of DX format, on a film camera, will the photo be vignetted?
Going through the lenses in your signature:

Quote:
Nikkor 18-70 f/3.5-4.5
Vignettes across the range.

Quote:
Sigma 55-200mm D f/4.5-5.6
Theoretically not a full frame lens, but apparently the image circle is large enough. Google turned this up: Sigma 55-200mm F4-5.6 DC - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Quote:
nikkor 50mm 1:1.8
Quote:
sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro
These two will work fabulously.

Quote:
and the lovely Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6.
Vignettes across the range.
Old 03-07-2011   #6
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
18-70mm Vignettes across the range.
Hey Mike, not to hijack the thread, but you have mentioned that the 18-70 and 18-200 both vignette across the range. I have found that the 18-55mm only vignettes from 18-24mm.

Would you happen to know why the 18-55mm is different?
Old 03-07-2011   #7
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
Hey Mike, not to hijack the thread, but you have mentioned that the 18-70 and 18-200 both vignette across the range. I have found that the 18-55mm only vignettes from 18-24mm.

Would you happen to know why the 18-55mm is different?
I have no idea.

Probably like how the 12-24 DX (and Tokina version) and 17-55mm f/2.8 DX also work on FX and film. It just happened to work out that way?
Old 03-07-2011   #8
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
I have no idea.
Me either... Thanks!

We now return this thread to its original questions...
Old 03-08-2011   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 155965

thank you all for your help. i think i'll save some money to go with the n90s...
Cheers!

comments welcomed, critics even more.
thebeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #10
Camel Breath

Here's a good review of the N90s: Nikon N90s Review by Thom Hogan

cyclohexane is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: