I am new here.....first post - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 412
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: I am new here.....first post

Very nice work.
Old 01-26-2010   #12
TLV
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 2904816
Editing OK?: Ask First

*L* I see one shot has disappeared....and this should be a lesson to any new aspiring photographer. Mystique did not get a model release signed by the model on a TFP shoot. They discovered the pic was posted on this site and insisted it was removed. Embarrassing for the photographer and pretty silly all in all.....but a lesson learned. Don't do TFP shoots without a model release!

Derek
TLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #13
Llama

CamelKarma: 1483
Editing OK?: Yes

Don't do any shoots without a model release! When Team Dazzle comes to my studio and I shoot for them I still get a model release (and pictures of identification.) Most of the Pro models (and these are real Pros) say, "Nobody else does this?" I say, "I do. It makes sure you are you and I know how to get hold of you if someone wants to hire you." On Kelby Training they have a tutorial on business paperwork in which the lawyer on the team says, "Model releases should be preserved forever. As you die you tell your heirs, 'Make sure you preserve my model releases!'" I recently made my own (so they have my logo and information prefilled in) and then immediately needed one for a minor so I used a prebuilt. But for folks who aren't friends I don't post without a model release in hand.

So, Mystique, gotta' name? Are you in Pretoria? Watch out for Derek, he may try to get your panties off! LOL.
dwightmccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #14
TLV
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightmccann View Post
Don't do any shoots without a model release! When Team Dazzle comes to my studio and I shoot for them I still get a model release (and pictures of identification.) Most of the Pro models (and these are real Pros) say, "Nobody else does this?" I say, "I do. It makes sure you are you and I know how to get hold of you if someone wants to hire you." On Kelby Training they have a tutorial on business paperwork in which the lawyer on the team says, "Model releases should be preserved forever. As you die you tell your heirs, 'Make sure you preserve my model releases!'" I recently made my own (so they have my logo and information prefilled in) and then immediately needed one for a minor so I used a prebuilt. But for folks who aren't friends I don't post without a model release in hand.

So, Mystique, gotta' name? Are you in Pretoria? Watch out for Derek, he may try to get your panties off! LOL.
Thanks for this Dwight....do you do a model release for every shoot or just per model?.....and Mystique does have a name*L*.....and lives in Pretoria.....and I'll introduce you to her when you visit! She is a very impressive model as well as being a photographer with great potential.....you have "seen" her before.
Old 01-27-2010   #15
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 3722
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLV View Post
...She is a very impressive model as well as being a photographer with great potential.....you have "seen" her before.
Click. Welcome beautiful young lady - now, where are those self portraits!?
nicoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #16
TLV
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoc View Post
Click. Welcome beautiful young lady - now, where are those self portraits!?

Excellent guess Nico but no cigar!*L*...... I am still persuading her to post!
Old 01-27-2010   #17
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLV View Post
Thanks for this Dwight....do you do a model release for every shoot or just per model?.....and Mystique does have a name*L*.....and lives in Pretoria.....and I'll introduce you to her when you visit! She is a very impressive model as well as being a photographer with great potential.....you have "seen" her before.

To all new aspiring photographers, please LEARN from my mistake and get those MODEL RELEASE forms ready.... This was a hard lesson to learn, not even to mention how embarrassing I felt, and off course my teacher had no simpathy.... But, what Mr Smith also taught me is that nothing comes easy and mistakes do happen... "Did I learn anything from that mistake?"... ABSOLUTELY!!!!! I will never do any shoot again without a model release

Derek, thank you for the compliments, I have still much to learn...about photography that is...but what's not to understand, eventually , if one has a very patient teacher....

Dwight, thank you for the comment on the model release, I can assure you I learned that lesson the hard way, because I was really proud of that 2nd picture, which I am negotiating with the model (much more the boyfriend though) to load it back onto the sight again, hopefully soon. Oh, and I can assure you I wasn't the one blushing when I read your last sentence..... . Have a splended evening gentlemen

Mystique
Mystique SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #18
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 127

I have now got permission to repost the second photo.....

Mystique SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #19
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 24555
Editing OK?: Yes

Okay, I really love the second one, Glad you were finally able to re post.

here is what i do not understand though (I have done no model shooting and am really new to the hobby.) Okay, you didn't have the model release but you were not displaying the photos for profit, simply for critique and to help yourself improve your craft. I can understand someone making a profit on the image of someone else and them taking offense, but why here.

I am very naive so please someone teach me.

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/tjtunnington
mrpalmer420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #20
TLV
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpalmer420 View Post
Okay, I really love the second one, Glad you were finally able to re post.

here is what i do not understand though (I have done no model shooting and am really new to the hobby.) Okay, you didn't have the model release but you were not displaying the photos for profit, simply for critique and to help yourself improve your craft. I can understand someone making a profit on the image of someone else and them taking offense, but why here.

I am very naive so please someone teach me.

Forgetting the legalities it is critical that you get an agreement with your subject as to the purpose of the photographs and who has what rights as you never know what happens in future.

e.g. A friend of mine who produces a photographic magazine took some casual studio shots of a good model who was a life long friend of his. She then went overseas and he lost contact. He decided in a moment of insanity to use one of the photographs as a front cover and went to print. She came back to SA as the magazine hit the shelves and demanded a substantial amount of money otherwise she was going to court. The distributors got wind of this and demanded a model release which did not exist. Irregardless as to the fact that he probably did have copyright they didn't not want to be dragged into a court battle and told him to remove the magazine from all their shops. It nearly bankrupted him.

So ..... get the agreement....whatever it is in writing and make sure it is clearly understood by both parties. Then there is no confusion and no problems. It is am matter of common sense.

My thoughts....for what they are worth.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion »

Share this topic: