Megan - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008   #21
Llama

CamelKarma: 1855123
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Megan

Ah but now you are mixing commercial photography with a fashion statement. Fashion photography is like drive c on your hard drive with several sub-folders.

You see, to say that fashion is about clothing is the simplest of lamen terms to best describe the topic of fashion photography. To come to some basic understanding.

It's true, there are even nude photographs that can be defined as fashion. Fashion can make a statement when putting it into context. Such as trains, planes and automobiles or a simple portrait.

J T
J T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #22
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 871721
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by J T Smith View Post
Ah but now you are mixing commercial photography with a fashion statement. Fashion photography is like drive c on your hard drive with several sub-folders.

You see, to say that fashion is about clothing is the simplest of lamen terms to best describe the topic of fashion photography. To come to some basic understanding.

It's true, there are even nude photographs that can be defined as fashion. Fashion can make a statement when putting it into context. Such as trains, planes and automobiles or a simple portrait.

J T
then, pray tell why is not Manuels photo applicaple to one of those subfolders in drive C?

www.johnnyperkka.com
Johnny Perkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #23
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1681

JT,

It's perfectly fine for you not to like the picture! However, why are you so "hung up" on labels, "fashion", "commercial", "edgy" etc etc (drive c). We are still dealing with an art form to which a person either has a positive, negative or neutral response.

I wonder how you would respond to John Cage's musical piece 4'33'', would it disturb you, would you need to argue about it, would you be "right" and others "wrong"

Cheers!
Manuel

http://www.studionauta.com
http://studionauta.zenfolio.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/manuelnauta
mnauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #24
Llama

CamelKarma: 3859

I don't understand the relevance of all this "fashion" dialogue.

So if the photo doesn't fit under fashion, then it fits under "models". The two do not automatically go together and not all modelling is done to showcase OR sell something OR even be pleasant to look at. In fact, I have done a fair bit of modelling myself, and not one single photograph taken of me could be displayed in a fashion magazine. I have featured as a subject in several art exhibitions, not because I am classically beautiful or even necessarily interesting to look at, but because the photographer needed a model to pose for him. In heavy make up, horror costume or even a gas mask. The point is, it is still modelling and thus doesn't belong in the portrait section.

Simple enough concept after all?

If it aint Fashion (god bless) then it's art. And I like it
Atom Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #25
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 12142

My point was that it isn't fashion, and that since it doesn't portray the model in a flattering way, it isn't really a "model" shot, either. "If it ain't Fashion, then it's art." Right. That's like saying, "If it isn't a car, then it's a monkey." This isn't an either/or proposition. Something can be both, or neither just as easily as one or the other.

Fritz

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Wedding and Portrait Photography
tekdiver500ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #26
TLV
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 2904816

well, it certainly is not the glossy picture you se here on fashion/models all the time, but it actually looks more like somthing from a high end fashion catalog than something by Freddy or TLV et all...

OW! that hurts!*L*.........
TLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #27
Llama

CamelKarma: 3859

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft View Post
My point was that it isn't fashion, and that since it doesn't portray the model in a flattering way, it isn't really a "model" shot, either.
Like I said, not every shoot requiring a professional to model, will be flattering.
Just like every movie requiring a professional actor wont necessarily be flattering. SO your logic either doesn't make sense, or your view on what constitutes a model is very limited.

And I needn't even add (although I will anyway) that I DO think that this image is flattering. The model is beautiful, and I think that the photograph shows this. So again, it is simply a matter of perspective. Just because YOU don't think models should model like this, doesn't mean she isn't a model.

Go and google "Horror" "Gothic" or look up an advertisement for car accidents or burns victims and then tell me that those people are not models. Just because they don't look pretty?
Atom Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #28
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 6930
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austen View Post
I like it a lot !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLV View Post
well, it certainly is not the glossy picture you se here on fashion/models all the time, but it actually looks more like somthing from a high end fashion catalog than something by Freddy or TLV et all.....
Let us all not forget....."Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder"*

It seems to me that the big discussion here is what pigeon-hole to slot this photograph into, without anyone considering that it might belong in the "nice photograph" slot !!

Sure, to look at this photograph you immediately know Freddy wasn't the photographer...But that in itself doesn't make it a "good" or a "bad" photograph......

Maybe the "right" question is...."If I was Megan, would I hang this photograph on my wall ?" and for me, I think the answer is "Yes."

Well, That's my $A 0.02

Austen.

*Yes....I know.......

A Canon 40D and a wife who loves me.

Have you visited my SmugMug page yet ?

More gear then talent....But now that I have some L Glass ...... I NEED more practice and experience !!!

(Have you tried pressing the Preview Post button when posting ?)
Capitalisation is important.
I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse.
I helped my Uncle jack off a horse.

Last edited by Austen; 12-30-2008 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Typo...Error, Fingers too fat !!
Austen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #29
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 871721

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLV View Post
well, it certainly is not the glossy picture you se here on fashion/models all the time, but it actually looks more like somthing from a high end fashion catalog than something by Freddy or TLV et all...

OW! that hurts!*L*.........

well, I know it might hurt, but it was not meant as an insult, (you know from previous comments that I like your stuff) but the point is that while Frank Doorhof is doing a wonderfull job with his workshops it's still far away from the real world fashion...

It's a different beast doing the glossy playboy stuff you guys aspire to do (and I DO respect that) than the gritty and edgy fashion style Manuel was going for here... I know you know what I mean

www.johnnyperkka.com
Johnny Perkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #30
TLV
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 2904816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Heinonen View Post
well, I know it might hurt, but it was not meant as an insult, (you know from previous comments that I like your stuff) but the point is that while Frank Doorhof is doing a wonderfull job with his workshops it's still far away from the real world fashion...

It's a different beast doing the glossy playboy stuff you guys aspire to do (and I DO respect that) than the gritty and edgy fashion style Manuel was going for here... I know you know what I mean
I was just kidding.....and understand your point totally. Thank goodness we do not all aspire to produce the same kind out finished product other wise the world would be a very boring place.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion »

Share this topic: