Megan - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 1855123
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Megan

MNAUTA

You had an opinion and didn't need to delete it. However, you pulled an image from a Model's gallery and not from my worked displayed in my personal portfolio on Supershoots.com website.

SuperShoots.com - Beauty Gallery

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

J T
Supershoots.com - Photography and Modeling Workshops
J T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #12
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 12142
Editing OK?: Ask first

I think this is a reasonably artistic treatment of an amateurish snapshot. So, I can't decide if I like it or not. There is certainly merit to it, but it is not what I would call a fashion shot, nor is it beneficial to the model's career. Sorry.

Fritz

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Wedding and Portrait Photography
tekdiver500ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #13
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 871721

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft View Post
but it is not what I would call a fashion shot, nor is it beneficial to the model's career. Sorry.
well, I don't claim to be an expert on what is fashion or not.. but, I think you are very wrong here..

Here is an example of more edgy stuff, that Manuels piece here is reminiscent off, from Pepe Jeans catalog:

http://img187.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_350lo.jpg

www.johnnyperkka.com
Johnny Perkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #14
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Heinonen View Post
well, I don't claim to be an expert on what is fashion or not.. but, I think you are very wrong here..

Here is an example of more edgy stuff, that Manuels piece here is reminiscent off, from Pepe Jeans catalog:

http://img187.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_350lo.jpg

Manuels shot does not compare in the least to your example of Pepe Jeans catalog. Just because it's edgy or processed or shot differently than a normal portrait doesn't automatically compare it. Manuels shot is of a pretty girl looking down with an expression in a landscape crop that is shot and processed with high contrast and noise. That's it. It is what it is. Doesn't mean it's bad. It is what it is.

J T
Old 12-29-2008   #15
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by J T Smith View Post
Manuels shot does not compare in the least to your example of Pepe Jeans catalog.
that was not the point, the point was that fashion can be edgy (and often is). I think in the contect of haute couture, and haute concept, Manuels photo is an excellent one...

www.johnnyperkka.com
Old 12-29-2008   #16
Llama

Quote:
that was not the point, the point was that fashion can be edgy (and often is). I think in the contect of haute couture, and haute concept, Manuels photo is an excellent one...
...and that's fine but it doesn't make it fashion because it's haute couture or haute concept or whatever. Again, edgy from a technical or artistic side does not make it fashion. I am not the fashion police and certainly not trying to be one but let's not confuse the on going battle of what is fashion and what is not based on technical or artistic presentation.

J T
Old 12-29-2008   #17
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by J T Smith View Post
...and that's fine but it doesn't make it fashion because it's haute couture or haute concept or whatever. Again, edgy from a technical or artistic side does not make it fashion. I am not the fashion police and certainly not trying to be one but let's not confuse the on going battle of what is fashion and what is not based on technical or artistic presentation.

J T
ok, I'll bite. What makes picture fashion then?

www.johnnyperkka.com
Old 12-29-2008   #18
Llama

Quote:
ok, I'll bite. What makes picture fashion then?
I don't know, but I know when I see it. Your link to Pepe answers your question in one regard.

There are sub-catagories to fashion. There is no clear answer. No words can describe it but many will try. It's not a technical or artistic reasoning alone. An image used in an ad can simply take an image and automatically turn it into fashion. Many images put into context will define it specifically. Images standing alone is just that, an image of a pretty girl or subject. It could have a response of feeling to the viewer that can relate to fashion or it could speak for itself such as the example you provided with Pepe.

J T
Old 12-29-2008   #19
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 12142

Fashion, by definition, is photography designed to showcase the clothing. There is no possible way that a shot wherein the clothing is a blocked-up mass of black without any detail is fashion. The entire purpose of fashion photography is to make someone want the clothing. Nobody will want the clothing that they can't see, which is why this isn't fashion. It is artistic, it might even be edgy (not to my mind, but that is another can of worms, and I don't claim to be an expert on "edginess"), but it is not fashion.

Fritz

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Wedding and Portrait Photography
tekdiver500ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #20
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft View Post
Fashion, by definition, is photography designed to showcase the clothing. There is no possible way that a shot wherein the clothing is a blocked-up mass of black without any detail is fashion. The entire purpose of fashion photography is to make someone want the clothing. Nobody will want the clothing that they can't see, which is why this isn't fashion. It is artistic, it might even be edgy (not to my mind, but that is another can of worms, and I don't claim to be an expert on "edginess"), but it is not fashion.

Ah, the very answer I wanted to hear... In the afore mentioned Pepe Jeans catalog there are 6 pages of abstract pictures of old cadillacs etc.. And the last page is a picture rail road tracks (I happen to have the catalog in my hand). And it's advertising JEANS...
So, by no means I'm no expert, but I happen to have a bookshelf full of different catalogs, with the funkiest one having foodplates in pictures while they are advertising couture clothes... So I think you just proved my point, thank you very much.

- A W Carey -

www.johnnyperkka.com

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion »

Share this topic: