A girl and a bike. - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371327
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: A girl and a bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garball View Post

I'm curious, why did you shoot a black bike with a girl in a black dress against a black background? I wonder if you might need some Separation?
I agree here. I don't think you need to bump the exposure, but instead, to provide some light to separate her clothes from the background. I actually really love this low-key look.
Old 06-19-2013   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 279551
Editing OK?: No

Hi Lil - what have you been up to?
Garball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garball View Post
Hi Lil - what have you been up to?
Just chillin' out - I'm off for the summer and catching up on some rest and housework. lol
Old 06-19-2013   #14
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378
Editing OK?: No

Posing is nothing without expression and the path to expression is effective communication.

What is in a model's head is what will be on her face. There are 50+ muscles in the face and they are all controlled by thought and emotion. If you show a model a photo of her with a BAD expression she starts thinking about how bad she looks or is doing. Personally I never show a model the back of the camera, it serves no point. Instead talk, encourage her, tell her every few shots how well she is doing, how good she looks and help her find that confident beautiful place in her head that tells your story on her face. Get her to leave the shoot in her head and think about something beautiful, fun, sexy, sad etc. if you can give the model emotive keywords to react to quickly you will see a difference in her expressions. If all else fails have her mouth vowels while exhaling that will at least form the lips but to get the eyes to follow you have to get the mind in the game.

Ultimately that models expression is your responsibility. Unless a model is stoned, intoxicated or otherwise effectively debilitated her expressions are directly related to your interaction with her,

These images are nice but would be far better with more emotive expressions. I would suggest some rim light and try moving the fog machine back further to better control it
Old 06-21-2013   #15
Llama

CamelKarma: 832527

Some of the images worked well. #3 looks good.
I like the model's skin tones and thought you did very well in that regard.

The black on black on more black thing is a real problem.
With your skin tones a bikini here and there would have totally changed the feel of the shoot.

The thing I like the least is that the model looks like you cut her head off and replaced it with the exact same look as the last. Anything would have been better than more of the same. A weak smile would have been a welcome change. That is your oversight and I encourage you to own it....Not to discourage you, but to encourage you to take the dynamic lead of any shoot.
Sink or swim it is on you.

I would have liked to see a lot more specular highlights on the bike chrome. The basic lighting was decent, they just needed more pop....well aimed gridded spots...flag them where you need.

Hope that helps!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013   #16
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 462925
Editing OK?: Ask First

Thanks all for the great advice. I'll hopefully will be doing a similar shoot again with another bike and will use all the suggestions.

Black on black wasn't what I had planned and we weren't planning to use the black bike, but couldn't resist.
The original images weren't as dark but I obviously went a little far with trying to isolate her and the bike.

Here's one with less editing.

Thanks again
Bud
bnbourizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013   #17
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Saw the comments about the expression. I'd suggest picking up some articles on modeling and you can learn how to coach them into the expression you're after.
KennethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 137

Good looking bike, good looking girl, the rest is pretty much up to the photographer
Old 07-01-2013   #19
Llama

CamelKarma: 486555

I feel like you needed a second light from the left to just give some detail to the shadows on the right side of her face and the front of her body. Just enough to lighten those shadows. I think it would help isolate her more from the background and the bike.

Critique encouraged.
photodoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion »

Share this topic: