A Friend at the Beach
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1459606
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default A Friend at the Beach

This weekend's shoot, my friend at the beach.

I'm about half way done with processing, watch my stream for new pics daily.

Flickr: jgunder's Photostream

Here are a few of the ones already posted.

Thanks for looking

Cheers
Josh

Old 08-07-2012   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 142968
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: A Friend at the Beach

My favorite is the last one (#10), but I would attempt to do a little liquify on her upper arm as it looks pretty large. #9 - her right arm is missing and her left arm goes out of frame. #8 - I think it's cropped a little too tight on the bottom for my taste. #7 - really nice expression, but her right arm is cut off near the wrist, which bothers me a little bit. #4 seems oddly cropped. We don't get to see much of her legs and her left arm appears kind of amputated (her left sleeve looks empty). #2 is pretty sweet! I think the sand on her legs in #1 really hurts the shot. Also her body is turned 90 degrees to the camera, which might be a bit much, and we don't get to see any part of her left arm. Just my first impression. BTW, #5 looks really cool, but I wish that there was more of a "clear area" around her head.
Old 08-07-2012   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 227845
Editing OK?: Yes

I would say for the most part you did a good job, especially with exposures which must have been difficult with the bright light and a pale skinned blond subject.

One way of fixing what mjp321 said about the arm in the tenth image is to have the model turn her hand toward the camera. That repositions the arm to a much more flattering angle, especially if it is weight bearing. In all cases it is better if there isn't any weight on the arm since that causes the wrist to bend at a 90 angle and causes wrinkles, neither of which is flattering.

Not resting any wight on an arm when in a position like the one your friend is in the tenth image isn't easy so it is best to have them move into the position just long enough for you to snap the image then they can relax. Moving the left hand up to rest on her left thigh would have also improved the pose.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Old 08-07-2012   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378

Beautiful girl, the keyhole silhouette is my fav though it would have been even better if you could have balanced the exposure a little to not blowout the water and sky. Maybe a second shot composite. The keyhole reminds me of one I used to shoot in just north of Main Beach in Laguna Beach before I moved to Vegas.

Question, is she wearing colored contacts because the blue of her eyes seems a little intense to be natural but it is a consistent color and intensity from shot to shot. Hiter way I think I would pull it down just a touch
Old 08-08-2012   #5
Dromedary

Thanks for the comments guys. Clearly I need to work on posing.

I get in a weird kind of tunnel vision when the model looks at me through the lens. It's like as if we have a private connection through the viewfinder. I tend to zone out everything else and lose composition and am so connected to her that I capture her essence well, but completely am oblivious to cutting off extremeties.

Bobby, I upped the blue channel 20 points in lightroom on each shot to make the ocean pop, and I think that's contributing to her eyes popping also. She may have had colored contacts in I'm not sure.

And a few more, just for fun, (I've got a few more days of processing). Yes I got artsy here. I've increased the warmth to try and convey how damn hot and orange it was out there when the sun was low in the sky. And one is a composite to show the resolving power of the D800, and then another one I split toned and vignetted.

Cheers
Josh
Old 08-08-2012   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378

Last shot is an absolute winner
Old 08-08-2012   #7
Dromedary

She does have really blue eyes though, she has all her life. I probably shouldn't bump them or they get too blue.
Old 08-08-2012   #8
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Deal View Post
Last shot is an absolute winner

Ah thank you.

It's not often I add a vignette or get moody with the coloring, but she really likes it when I get artistic with processing.

Cheers
josh
Old 08-08-2012   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371327
Editing OK?: Yes

I suspect that the blue comes from her eyes, even if she is wearing contacts. All contacts have a little bit of color to them, even the non-colored ones are tinted slightly blue so you can see them easier when you drop one on the white sink And the light hitting blue eyes dead on will brighten them up tremendously.

Nice set of images! I agree about the cropping, be careful of cutting off appendages awkwardly. Love that last one.
Old 08-09-2012   #10
Dromedary

And a few more. Keep in mind by this time we had been shooting all day and she was pretty dead.

Again, you can see the entire set on my stream. Flickr: jgunder's Photostream

I need to get faster at processing, I can't be spending 4 days processing for every shoot.

Cheers
Josh

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion »

Share this topic: