Hotel Shoot
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 28906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Hotel Shoot

From The St. Julien Shoot yesterday….. Fun story, my SD/CF cards crashed!! Mikes Camera spent all day trying to recover them! 1 card left to pick up, tomorrow. So, well see? Ratio outta this one ,10 outta 197….OUCH! Hardly anything to choose from. Thinking of what to buy next to make sure this sorta thing NEVER happens again!??

Model. Ava Brynn

Old 04-02-2012   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Hotel Shoot

Nice images. Sorry for sure to hear of the glitch - but there's no way you can prevent failures, except to never do anything. I'm not saying it's not worth developing a more reliable system, but sh*t does happen, and the more we rely on fancy gizmo-gadgetry ...

I see you shoot a D300s. I often use an Eye-Fi card in mine saving JPGs to the Eye-Fi and RAW files to the CF card. The JPGs are downloaded to my iPad as I'm shooting so I at least have JPG files if something ugly were to happen in the camera. The PRO cards will copy RAW files, I believe.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378

Sandisk makes a great recovery tool for CF cards will rarely recover Raw Files but will recover nearly 100% of jpg files Memory Card Recovery Software to Recover Lost Photos - CardRecovery

The best protection I can suggest to you is always shoot Raw plus Jpg fine then if you do ever have to recover a card you will always have a high res copy of the images to recover.

I never edit from jpg but recovering high res jpg has saved my bacon on a couple occasions. So while I typically only use the jogs as previews I always shoot raw plus jpg fine.
Old 04-03-2012   #4
Llama

Gentelmen, Thank you for the advise. You both make great points!! I think the Eye-fi card is the culprit, I have never been able to get them to work right,went through 2 of em! Just went out and bought the Super Extream Scandisk Cards,CF and SD! I swear the more money I make doing this, the more I spend. Powerbook and G-drive teathered to the camera is the way I think I'am going….. 2 workable shots outta 197 ain't cutting it!

Thanks Again!
Monchichi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 227845

I recovered RAW files on a CF card after accidentally deleting them using Glary Utilitie's File Undelete. I just put it in the card reader and ran the utility. It finds viable files and writes them to a new location, in my case on my hard drive. Got to love some free software than can save your bacon.

Glary Utilities | Glarysoft

I also sure the Glary Utility to remove programs since it seems to do a better job than the Microsoft one and I use it to keep my Registry clean, lean, and mean.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012   #6
Llama

Some how that stupid Wi-Fi SD card gave up the goods…I got my pics!!! Finally some stuff to choose from! Everyone, thanks for your advise!

Pam

Old 04-05-2012   #7
Llama

Like I said the 1st 2 shots were crap, the only salvageable stuff from that one card. I love the one of Pam above and now…. on with the good stuff, some of my favorites!

Ava

Pam

Old 04-06-2012   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 226504
Editing OK?: Ask first

Lovely images.

Must say the wi-fi camera system I have isnt the most wow either
Photoallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #9
Llama

Thank you! Yea, the Wi-Fi pro card = CRAP! Smashed that sucker with a hammer,$100 dollar lesson…Oh, And I felt better!
Old 04-08-2012   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 433

Your shots were worth recovering! Really like the blue dress shot.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion »

Share this topic: