PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Fashion (https://photocamel.com/forum/fashion/)
-   -   more for critique (https://photocamel.com/forum/fashion/154588-more-critique.html)

deathdealer 02-20-2012 10:13 PM

more for critique

tell me what you think

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7070/6...8147337ea2.jpg
amandalater-224ss by deathdealer21
Camera Nikon D3100
Exposure 0.001 sec (1/2000)
Aperture f/1.8
Focal Length 35 mm
ISO Speed 100
Flash No Flash

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7182/6...36c633c48f.jpg
alimm-292 by deathdealer21, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D3100
Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture f/1.8
Focal Length 35 mm
ISO Speed 100

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7210/6...6414e041b3.jpg
alimm-213 by deathdealer21, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D3100
Aperture f/1.8
Focal Length 35 mm
ISO Speed 100

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7064/6...b9e963d69d.jpg
amandalater-229 by deathdealer21, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D3100
Aperture f/1.8
Focal Length 35 mm
ISO Speed 100

korman 02-21-2012 12:28 AM

Re: more for critique

In #1 the arm and chest are too bright. The pose is unfavourable, it makes her look like a beached walrus. You also should clean up the armpit, which looks as if she has razor burns or didn't properly shave.

Korman

deathdealer 02-21-2012 12:53 AM

once again awesome feedback thanks............

Bobby Deal 02-21-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korman (Post 1523822)
In #1 the arm and chest are too bright. The pose is unfavourable, it makes her look like a beached walrus. You also should clean up the armpit, which looks as if she has razor burns or didn't properly shave.

Korman

Statements like "It makes her look like a beached walrus" and "looks as if she has razor burns or didn't properly shave" are uncalled for. Remember these forums are about photography. While posing is a big part of photography and noting that the pose is unflattering and does not flatter the model is OK say so through derogatory slurs is not. A professional way to express the pose does not flatter would be something like "in this case the pose , camera angle and bloused dress combine to diminish the models natural cure and make her appear heavier then she actually is"

But if you are going to tell some one the pose is WRONG it would be right to offer suggestion as to how to correct the pose as well. A negative with no positive correction offered is simply negative and of little help to the one being critiqued. Regardless disparaging remarks directed at the model are in my mind and I believe in the spirit of the Camel truly unacceptable.

Suppose the model were to read this thread and see your remarks about not properly shaving (even if true not your call and not something the photographer is responsible for) or her weight. I assure you if she sees your remark she will be highly insulted.

meinster 02-21-2012 10:04 AM

My $.02

I am looking at it from a non-professional POV.

The first photo. I like what you are trying to accomplish. I can see a 'longing' thoughtful expression in her. I feel like she is missing something or someone. I enjoy the contrast of the blue against the green of the grass. The one thing that is not quite doing it for me is the angle, You are a bit too high, perhaps move down so we can appreciate more her facial expression and the pose. Her hands and arms,with the angle of her head, it looks like either she is putting her head back on or trying to tear it off. Maybe have her try something different with her arms. The shadows are a bit harsh (under her chin), maybe use a reflector to soften the shadows a bit. (A gold reflector would introduce some warmth to her skin, she seems to have nice ivory skin)

For some reason I can not see #2.

#3. She is totally lost in the background. I do not know if this is a photo of the side of a barn or a photo of her. I would move in closer and fill the frame with her. Example, move in until she and the 'red thing' not sure what it is called fill the frame.

#4. reminds me of those painters, that were using perspective to create a sense of 3 dimension; Botticcelli, Massaccio. Perhaps it is the small size of the photo, but from what I can tell she seems to have a beautiful expression on her face, but it is too far away to really appreciate it. I would focus more on that.

The common theme, to me, is that she has an beautiful face, and is able to show incredible expressions. perhaps may be a good idea to focus more on that, and use the rest to magnify it.

I hope I have been of help.

Ken P 02-21-2012 10:58 AM

Work on your posing a bit more.....try looking at magazines and recreating those poses you like. Posing will quickly become second nature.

jjdog2 02-21-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Deal (Post 1523850)
Statements like "It makes her look like a beached walrus" and "looks as if she has razor burns or didn't properly shave" are uncalled for. Remember these forums are about photography. While posing is a big part of photography and noting that the pose is unflattering and does not flatter the model is OK say so through derogatory slurs is not. A professional way to express the pose does not flatter would be something like "in this case the pose , camera angle and bloused dress combine to diminish the models natural cure and make her appear heavier then she actually is"

But if you are going to tell some one the pose is WRONG it would be right to offer suggestion as to how to correct the pose as well. A negative with no positive correction offered is simply negative and of little help to the one being critiqued. Regardless disparaging remarks directed at the model are in my mind and I believe in the spirit of the Camel truly unacceptable.

Suppose the model were to read this thread and see your remarks about not properly shaving (even if true not your call and not something the photographer is responsible for) or her weight. I assure you if she sees your remark she will be highly insulted.

Agree 100%, just plain rude.

jj

BovrilArg 02-21-2012 11:28 AM

Agree the comments were a bit off but back to the C&C...
1- The light is too harsh. You can see a clear shadow below her chin which is distracting. Cute girl and I find the pose ok. I like the tight crop but feel you left a bit too much grass on the bottom and too little room for her head. I love her expression. I am surprised this was at f1.8 as the background is pretty clear. Not an issue on this shot as the background is pleasing.

2- I really like this one. Only comments would be the crop again. I see too much wall and it is cut too close to her knee. Nice choice of wardrobe and classic pose.

3- still has harsh light but it is ok on this shot thanks to the increased field of view. It appears slanted. My eye sees the top edge and follows the line of the wooden boards making it look slanted. I love the colors and the pose. Very nice.

4- Here I would appreciate the narrower DOF. Once again I am surprised it was captured at f1.8. Cannot open up much more then that but you could blurr it in Post. I love the angle of view but would have liked her facing the camera a bit more. Nice colors. Crop is spot on.

Thanks for sharing.

luki 02-21-2012 01:12 PM

Is it me or do i see the colored ones as looking too photoshopped? I like the idea of the colors, but these seem too harsh. Keep working on taking these shots, and try toning down a little. I hope this helps.

dgdphoto 02-21-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BovrilArg (Post 1524064)
4- Here I would appreciate the narrower DOF. Once again I am surprised it was captured at f1.8. Cannot open up much more then that but you could blurr it in Post. I love the angle of view but would have liked her facing the camera a bit more. Nice colors. Crop is spot on.

Thanks for sharing.

The bokeh you would like to see in much easier to get with a longer local length, these were shot at 35mm so there isn't going to be much blurring.

I also agree with Bobby about the rude comments, I take this forum to be a place to share and learn and there is nothing to be gained from rude remarks about a model other than hurt feelings.