White on White
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011   #1
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default White on White

A bit of a tricky shot posted in the commercial forum but seems that place is more or less a ghostown

Flavor Flav to advertise his new line of Vodka "La Flav"

Nothing like the dynamic range of a white tux on a white cyc with a black model pouring liquid from a clear bottle.

2011 Real Deal Photo

Bobby Deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 24299
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: White on White

Very well done and shows excellent constrol of the lighting. Would iyou mind showing the lighting setup?

Dwight
dmthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 5351573

Your exposure looks perfect to me. There are no shadows on the floor which kind of makes him look floating on white.
chickpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 2329721

very nice.
warpdriver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 433

Your exposure is perfect. Bobby as you are very good at this I'm going to knit pick; a lot.
Firstly if you are going to wear a tux it should be done up, one button at least.
I wonder if the 'bling' created a dilema? In or out with the jacket buttoned?
The carabund is loose, it should look snug. The bow tie is also loose. The jacket is a little large & the trousers a bit too long & loose. They did not have his size?
I don't like that his left shoulder is so drooped, it also increases the creases in his left arm enchancing the 'jacket does not fit' look.
The bottle should be turned so the label is exactly central, I would like to see his fingers a little lower on the bottle and flush. It bothers me that the knuckles stick out!
I would like the light to come from soft boxes all around with the light blocked off right next to the arm so there is no arm shadow on the body at all! This will give the bottle far more punch.
A very small highly directional spot on the end of the bottle will bring the bottle to life.
I would also like more light on his hat and shoulders as the trousers dominate for brightness.
O`Yes did I mention the exposure was perfect.......
Bronze Age Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #6
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze Age Man View Post
Your exposure is perfect. Bobby as you are very good at this I'm going to knit pick; a lot.
Firstly if you are going to wear a tux it should be done up, one button at least.
I wonder if the 'bling' created a dilema? In or out with the jacket buttoned?
The carabund is loose, it should look snug. The bow tie is also loose. The jacket is a little large & the trousers a bit too long & loose. They did not have his size?
I don't like that his left shoulder is so drooped, it also increases the creases in his left arm enchancing the 'jacket does not fit' look.
The bottle should be turned so the label is exactly central, I would like to see his fingers a little lower on the bottle and flush. It bothers me that the knuckles stick out!
I would like the light to come from soft boxes all around with the light blocked off right next to the arm so there is no arm shadow on the body at all! This will give the bottle far more punch.
A very small highly directional spot on the end of the bottle will bring the bottle to life.
I would also like more light on his hat and shoulders as the trousers dominate for brightness.
O`Yes did I mention the exposure was perfect.......

All I can say is you are dealing with Flavor Flav here. If you don't know who he is then a quick trip top Google is in order. Ultimately you need to understand that he is NOT an orderly guy. The tux was actually dramatically more ill fitting then what you see here. The pants were easily 6 inches too long I photo shopped them us as fitted as they could be with what I had to work with. In the end we are talking about a celebrity who is known for non conformance so we are lucky to have gotten this much from him. His momma nor his stylist were present on the set and he dressed himself. I just work with what I am presented and do what I can to flatter it the best I can. He gave me exactly 3 frames to capture this shot, this was the best of the three. I would have loved nothing more then to have the time to properly style the shot but to him it was perfect so getting him to adjust was not going to happen. Personally I would have LOVED to have gotten the damn sunglasses off his face but after four refused requests I took what he would give.
Old 09-05-2011   #7
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickpiper View Post
Your exposure looks perfect to me. There are no shadows on the floor which kind of makes him look floating on white.
Which is exactly as it is meant to be., This is not a shot to hang on the wall, it is an element for graphic design. It will be used two ways.

1. It will be composited into an environment to create print advertising

2. It will be used to create life size cardboard display cutout.

In both uses the presence of shadows on the floor would be detrimental to the use.
Old 09-05-2011   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 38
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Deal View Post
Which is exactly as it is meant to be., This is not a shot to hang on the wall, it is an element for graphic design. It will be used two ways.

1. It will be composited into an environment to create print advertising

2. It will be used to create life size cardboard display cutout.

In both uses the presence of shadows on the floor would be detrimental to the use.
I'm thinking #1 myself...maybe for a beverage company
jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 433

Hilarious! That's probably one of his better days! Three frames! You no doubt had to remind yourself you get paid to do this.
Bronze Age Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #10
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamus34 View Post
I'm thinking #1 myself...maybe for a beverage company

Yes it was shot as advertising collateral for the liquor distributor that handles Flavor Flavs line of Vodka called La Flav which is currently available in Nevada and should soon be available nationally

Bobby Deal is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion »

Share this topic: