Caterpillar to Butterfly
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 13200
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Caterpillar to Butterfly

Nicki was along to see what happens at a shoot. Well, what happens occasionally is the models you had confirmed not more than 12 hrs before don't show up. Nicki was kinda prepared, in that she had done hair and makeup, and wore a swim suit under her clothes. She got a little more than she bargained, for, or maybe I did... This was her first time ever in a model-like capacity, but I think she did wonderfully!

All of these were 1 light, either a 53" octa camera left, or a 17" maxilite camera left. Light source- 1 Bx500Ri. No foldable reflector, as I only had 1 assistant and he was manning the light so it didn't fall over into the water. And yes, I know the WB is not consistent. I processed each image for it's own merits, not to be done as a set.

Gear: Canon 5D &40d(gripped), Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Canon 24-70 L,85 f1.8, Speedlights, and Elinchrom 500BxRi, D2 & D4 kit, 22" Speedotron BD, Kacey grid, 53" Elinc Octo, Explorer XT battery

Editing okay. if you can, tell me what you did on the edit though.
Hawk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 47591965
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Caterpillar to Butterfly

Great lighting - no 3 & 6 pip it for me

All really nice though

Rob
woollyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #3
Dromedary

Thx Rob, and thx for the Karma

Gear: Canon 5D &40d(gripped), Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Canon 24-70 L,85 f1.8, Speedlights, and Elinchrom 500BxRi, D2 & D4 kit, 22" Speedotron BD, Kacey grid, 53" Elinc Octo, Explorer XT battery

Old 07-13-2011   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 227845
Editing OK?: Yes

Here are my highly personal views.

You did a nice job of lighting with the light and no reflector.

I like 1, 3, & 5.

The pose in 2 is somehow looks awkward. It would look much better with Nicki leaning back instead of forward. Nicki also needs to have her shoulders back instead of being slumped forward. That would fix several flaws and also cause her breasts to rise and stick out more.

Four just doesn't say anything.

Six makes Nicki look very thick in the waist. A space between her right arm and her body would help. She is slumped over, which makes her swimsuit wrinkle, belly pouch out, and her breasts droop. Not a flattering pose at all.

Seven isn't too bad, but the straight on shot still makes her waist look too thick.

The twist in 8 helps the waist but emphasizes the fact that she is wide in the hips and has large thighs.

As I said, highly personal views, but to me she would be a very nice model for portraits, and with the right poses for waist up portraits or glamor. Her figure just isn't good enough for full length work.

I applaud Nicki for trying and given the model's limitations I think you did a good job.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #5
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Blue View Post
Here are my highly personal views.

You did a nice job of lighting with the light and no reflector.

I like 1, 3, & 5.

The pose in 2 is somehow looks awkward. It would look much better with Nicki leaning back instead of forward. Nicki also needs to have her shoulders back instead of being slumped forward. That would fix several flaws and also cause her breasts to rise and stick out more.

Four just doesn't say anything.

Six makes Nicki look very thick in the waist. A space between her right arm and her body would help. She is slumped over, which makes her swimsuit wrinkle, belly pouch out, and her breasts droop. Not a flattering pose at all.

Seven isn't too bad, but the straight on shot still makes her waist look too thick.

The twist in 8 helps the waist but emphasizes the fact that she is wide in the hips and has large thighs.

As I said, highly personal views, but to me she would be a very nice model for portraits, and with the right poses for waist up portraits or glamor. Her figure just isn't good enough for full length work.

I applaud Nicki for trying and given the model's limitations I think you did a good job.
I was with ya all the way until you said because of her hips and thighs that she's not good enough for full length work. To me, that's also a highly personal opinion. Mind you she is not looking for runway work in a size zero dress either.

Old 07-15-2011   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 108

very nice series

fo2bug is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion »

Share this topic: