her best friend.......kills !
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 64579
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default her best friend.......kills !

A few from a recent shoot, C&C appreciated. Help me decide sepia or Color in the one below.

File Type: jpg 2011_03_05_9999_28gun.jpg (85.6 KB, 1479 views)
File Type: jpg alikacolor.jpg (147.5 KB, 1480 views)
FaizaStudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 951730
Default Re: her best friend.......kills !

The color version shows more detail in the dark areas, such as the black clothing
TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU LIKE TO BE TREATED. Mt. 22: 39
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #3
Vicuna

Thanks, 300+ views and one comment ? no one helping here !
Old 04-05-2011   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 144834
Editing OK?: Ask first

Well, I'll also say that the color version looks better to me, and that your photography certainly looks to be of high quality, technically (although there looks to be a color cast in the last image). However, the reason I didn't initially comment on the photos was because I dislike several of the elements in them. First off, I absolutely despise photos of women with guns. I find them not only unappealing, but also a huge cliche, especially when it's a shot of a model pointing a gun directly at the camera. How many more of these women with guns photos do we have to endure? Is it really supposed to impress the viewer in some way, especially when we've all seen it a thousand times before? You have a nice looking model. Why not do something that brings out a pleasant part of her personality - something that makes the viewer smile, instead of relying on overused gimmicks? Probably not the kind of comments you were looking for, though. Oh, and I also dislike heavy, ornate eye make-up on a model. Just another of my pet peeves, I guess. I honestly believe that the only person who's ever thrilled by that type of thing would be the make-up artist who created it. Like I mentioned before, I think your photography is actually pretty good. It's just the subject matter that turns me off.
mjp321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #5
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp321 View Post
Well, I'll also say that the color version looks better to me, and that your photography certainly looks to be of high quality, technically (although there looks to be a color cast in the last image). However, the reason I didn't initially comment on the photos was because I dislike several of the elements in them. First off, I absolutely despise photos of women with guns. I find them not only unappealing, but also a huge cliche, especially when it's a shot of a model pointing a gun directly at the camera. How many more of these women with guns photos do we have to endure? Is it really supposed to impress the viewer in some way, especially when we've all seen it a thousand times before? You have a nice looking model. Why not do something that brings out a pleasant part of her personality - something that makes the viewer smile, instead of relying on overused gimmicks? Probably not the kind of comments you were looking for, though. Oh, and I also dislike heavy, ornate eye make-up on a model. Just another of my pet peeves, I guess. I honestly believe that the only person who's ever thrilled by that type of thing would be the make-up artist who created it. Like I mentioned before, I think your photography is actually pretty good. It's just the subject matter that turns me off.
i really dont mind this kind of comments, coz actually i am a no body in the world of photoG, learning from my mistakes so when ppl like you actually point out things like this, it makes me wonder and up my learning curve, thats why i am here in the first place. Thanks for the feed back.
Old 05-05-2011   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 3859

Colour version is better. The colours are mute enough that it doesn't really need that extra step to sepia/bw. Nice work. A slightly wider crop would work better for me, and having her other arm in the shot in your second photo would be good - otherwise it's a cool capture.
Nice stuff.
Atom Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 227845

I agree with mjp321 about guns and girls, but I will defend your right to take that kind of image and to post it, just don't expect me to comment on it. I will ignore them. I will say that your

Contrary to mjp321 I like the last image, but I do agree that the color is off and I think a little greater depth of field would have been more to my liking.

Canon 7D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro
Nissin Di866, Electra CLASSIC Plus studio strobes & modifiers
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, Yongnuo RF-602 Transmitters & Receivers
Dell 20" 2001F (1200x1800) IPS monitor, Samsung SyncMaster 23" F2380 (1920x1280) PVA monitor, Datacolor Spyder3Elite for monitor calibration
Sailor Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 156
Editing OK?: Ask First

I like #1 and #3, although I would make some suggestions on the images per my taste...

On #1 I think your cropped just a bit tight from side to side.

On #3 I think your focal plane is to tight, the Beretta 92 needs to be more in focus along with the model, maybe some type of hair light to give you a bit more detail in the hair and a little more shadowing or seperation on the chest.

Also on both images you need to be careful when working with images of firearms, as the pro-firearms viewers will dislike the model putting her finger on the trigger in most cases, it speaks of safety issues in handling the firearm...

Also, your somebody, not a nobody, and you behold the eye of the artist at work... it's your canvas, paint as you like...

Hope my .02 cents worth is useful...
Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #9
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Kat View Post
Colour version is better. The colours are mute enough that it doesn't really need that extra step to sepia/bw. Nice work. A slightly wider crop would work better for me, and having her other arm in the shot in your second photo would be good - otherwise it's a cool capture.
Nice stuff.
Thanks Atom Kat, i was using 85mm 1.2L i had runout of space behind me, lame but yeah thats what happened. i have only cropped from top n bottom. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Blue View Post
I agree with mjp321 about guns and girls, but I will defend your right to take that kind of image and to post it, just don't expect me to comment on it. I will ignore them. I will say that your
Contrary to mjp321 I like the last image, but I do agree that the color is off and I think a little greater depth of field would have been more to my liking.
Thanks sailor blue, the last shot was at 1.2 therefore the dof, but i guess it would have been a beauty shot that way, i was experimenting / discovering 1.2 with models.

Appreciate your comments......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiths View Post
I like #1 and #3, although I would make some suggestions on the images per my taste...

On #1 I think your cropped just a bit tight from side to side.

On #3 I think your focal plane is to tight, the Beretta 92 needs to be more in focus along with the model, maybe some type of hair light to give you a bit more detail in the hair and a little more shadowing or seperation on the chest.

Also on both images you need to be careful when working with images of firearms, as the pro-firearms viewers will dislike the model putting her finger on the trigger in most cases, it speaks of safety issues in handling the firearm...

Also, your somebody, not a nobody, and you behold the eye of the artist at work... it's your canvas, paint as you like...

Hope my .02 cents worth is useful...
Thanks Smiths for your comments, mate #1 i didnt crop side to side, wall behind me cant move any further

#3 noted will try that, again i was working wide open, since the berretta was a cig. lighter, the nozzle or barrell opening is funny, didnt want ppl to say fake fake , somebody pointed out the safety issue in the later half of the day......but thats absolutely right. i am novice in handling firearms wouldnt know..in this part of the world we hardly get to see any guns...except in the cop's holster.....
Old 05-09-2011   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15526

The colour version is better.
I absolutely dig the portrait, though! More of those!

Regards,

Joe

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion »

Share this topic: