her best friend.......kills ! - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 1596830
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: her best friend.......kills !

Hi

I disagree with many of the above. I think these are great pictures done very well. Girls and guns is certainly not boring to me.
regnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #12
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371327

Being a gun owner myself, I don't think they are boring either. And I like seeing ornate makeup, as well. My only thing is, she's looking at the camera but pointing the pistol off camera - I think her eyes should have followed the gun to 'look right.'
Old 05-11-2011   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15526
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
Being a gun owner myself, I don't think they are boring either. And I like seeing ornate makeup, as well. My only thing is, she's looking at the camera but pointing the pistol off camera - I think her eyes should have followed the gun to 'look right.'
Well, she might have been distracted by something but kept her gun on the original target.
(Not owning a gun, I have no idea if this makes sense. It just came to mind.)

Regards,

Joe
Old 05-11-2011   #14
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexJoachim View Post
Well, she might have been distracted by something but kept her gun on the original target.
(Not owning a gun, I have no idea if this makes sense. It just came to mind.)

Regards,

Joe
LOL Good one.
Old 05-23-2011   #15
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: Ask first

Unless subject matter is offensive, I will generally accept all photography as art. Art is subjective. We must realize that not everyone will love every image presented in one's portfolio for one personal reason or another.

I shall comment on the compositional nature:
#1 I appreciate two versions of the image for comparison. Again, a subjective opinion, I do like the sepia version. Unless there are bright colors in the original scene, a sepia version for this works quite well, muted tone gives added interest to the mood of the scene. There isn't enough "space" on the left and the right of the image. The subject's hand and arms are at the edge...no room to "breath".

#2 IMO (and my photography instructor at NYIP, lol!) feels that the element closest to the lens/foreground should be in focus. Therefore, the gun should have the primary focus, with perhaps a bit of out of focus to the model's face. That is easier for the viewer to understand/read. For when we actually look at a person holding out their hands in front of our face, we see the hands before we see their face. Makes perfect sense when you think of it. Most times it is desirable to have sharp focus on the eyes/face, this particular image, the focus should be on the hand and gun. More of a "in your face" edgy type composition. The background color is great, a bit too heavy on the right side with vignette. And it appears that originally the hand/gun was deep in shadow and was processed to lighten up. I could be wrong here, but the background around the hand/gun should match the rest of the background, it is whitish.

#3 Yes, there is an orangey color cast. Perhaps intended, but would be best if the skin had more natural tones. I, for one, love the makeup. Just a personal opinion. And if you saw some of the stuff I've been taking lately you'd understand why. Most times I love a natural look. But if the model is dressed in costume, then by all means, the makeup should reflect the scene and compliment the costume. The irises are a bit heavily sharpened.

Other than these things, I love what you were going for here. Just needed a bit of tweaking here and there is all.
KCasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011   #16
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCasey View Post
Unless subject matter is offensive, I will generally accept all photography as art. Art is subjective. We must realize that not everyone will love every image presented in one's portfolio for one personal reason or another.

I shall comment on the compositional nature:
#1 I appreciate two versions of the image for comparison. Again, a subjective opinion, I do like the sepia version. Unless there are bright colors in the original scene, a sepia version for this works quite well, muted tone gives added interest to the mood of the scene. There isn't enough "space" on the left and the right of the image. The subject's hand and arms are at the edge...no room to "breath".

#2 IMO (and my photography instructor at NYIP, lol!) feels that the element closest to the lens/foreground should be in focus. Therefore, the gun should have the primary focus, with perhaps a bit of out of focus to the model's face. That is easier for the viewer to understand/read. For when we actually look at a person holding out their hands in front of our face, we see the hands before we see their face. Makes perfect sense when you think of it. Most times it is desirable to have sharp focus on the eyes/face, this particular image, the focus should be on the hand and gun. More of a "in your face" edgy type composition. The background color is great, a bit too heavy on the right side with vignette. And it appears that originally the hand/gun was deep in shadow and was processed to lighten up. I could be wrong here, but the background around the hand/gun should match the rest of the background, it is whitish.

#3 Yes, there is an orangey color cast. Perhaps intended, but would be best if the skin had more natural tones. I, for one, love the makeup. Just a personal opinion. And if you saw some of the stuff I've been taking lately you'd understand why. Most times I love a natural look. But if the model is dressed in costume, then by all means, the makeup should reflect the scene and compliment the costume. The irises are a bit heavily sharpened.

Other than these things, I love what you were going for here. Just needed a bit of tweaking here and there is all.
NIce critique you gave here. I must disagree with you on #2 about the gun being in focus. If that were the case, it would be an image of a gun. In this case, it's an image of a girl, and she's holding a gun. Just my opinion. Possibly worth 2 cents, not sure
Old 05-23-2011   #17
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

I like the color ones best.
Old 05-27-2011   #18
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

good pic, but not my taste
magicshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011   #19
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

Finger off the trigger and since it's raised eyes following the sights. You don't take your eye off the sight picture with a firearm at the ready.

The ornate eye makeup is best photographed where the detail isn't lost. On the longer shots the make up looses all of it's appeal becoming only black smudged swipes around the eyes.

Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #20
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 55
Editing OK?: No

I think the shots are quite good, but the makeup is a little over the top, especially when compared with the styling.
-Mark Fitzgerald Management

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion »

Share this topic: