Jess - my first ever model shoot - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 4838
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Jess - my first ever model shoot

Here's my revised version of #4. I didn't change much -- some contrast, a little color balance, some skin cleanup, some saturation on the lips, and some brightening of the eyes. I'm curious what you think.

DanInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 910905
Editing OK?: Ask first

The skin cleanup is the most noticeable change, and it looks good....

I took the first one and adjusted curves a bit and smoothed out the skin on the face a bit....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03606web.jpg (103.0 KB, 398 views)

website portals:
www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits

kenwae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #13
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 4363
Editing OK?: No

The first one I like a lot, but the only problem is the hair near her eyes
Old 06-24-2010   #14
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 7562

Ken Dan

thanks to both. I love the adjustments you've made. it helps me know what i need to work towards.
NeilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #15
Vicuna

Location: Hiding under a bridge in Northern Europe waiting for passerbys
CamelKarma: 18627
Editing OK?: Ask First
Smile Re: Jess - my first ever model shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInSoCal View Post
Here's my revised version of #4. I didn't change much -- some contrast, a little color balance, some skin cleanup, some saturation on the lips, and some brightening of the eyes. I'm curious what you think.

I like these quite a bit except that the first and last feel soft (eyes should be the sharpest part). Are you using the central focal point because her lips seemed sharper than her eyes. If you're "focus locking" then recomposing, be careful to not move the camera from the plane on which you focused.

The second one feels a bit awkward to me with her so close to the wall, though I like your use of DoF with the wall blurred out. I wouldn't use straight on flash like you did because it flattens the subject and washes out natural skin tones.

I can agree with removing the pimple, but I hate the skin in this 'retouch' and the other one by Ken. They feel way too artificial now and negates the nice natural light you had. All of theme feel much more natural without this type of skin retouching... I'd leave them as they are as they don't feel like you had to use PS to save some element of them.

Still, a very nice first effort, keep it up and get your flash (when used) off camera a la strobist.
BigFuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #16
Llama

CamelKarma: 4838
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
thanks to both. I love the adjustments you've made. it helps me know what i need to work towards.
Work towards making the photos look like you want them to. It's really that simple, and really that difficult. Remember that not everyone likes Monet, but many people can immediately recognize a Monet painting. Developing your own style will take time and effort. Look at a lot of photos, decide what you like and don't like, and take the time to learn how to (1) take photos so that they are close to your desired end product, and (2) postprocess the rest of the way there.

I've dabbled with retouching enough to know what I like, and I've shown it to you here. Others obviously don't like the skin retouching; some people like a lot more than I did.

The "lower contrast with blue color cast" is actually quite popular; however I don't really go for it. I prefer natural colors as much as possible. Likewise I like the look of really sharpened eyes. It''s the first thing I see.

Regards,
Dan
DanInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #17
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 7562

Dan,

i understand what you mean - I relaly prefer pure reortage - telling it like it is, but if I want to move into portraiture and such i think i will have to bend a little and maybe make some small adjustments - primairly to please the client.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Fashion »

Share this topic: