St Patrick's Day at the Scranton Cultural Center
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Event & Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 361
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default St Patrick's Day at the Scranton Cultural Center

I was asked to shoot an Irish step dancing school at the parade, and then at their post parade show at this beautiful facility in Scranton PA. My experience in low light photography is mostly with sports, so I had a bit of a struggle with myself to back off the exposure enough to allow the ambient light to work into the shots. I started out with an off camera flash, eliminating the ambient all together- Didn't like those at all- no character. I then removed the flash and relied on all ambient- I was in Manual, but it was interesting to note that judging by the camera's meter and histogram, I was well underexposing these shots- in hindsight, I assume that was the dark background that too up so much of the frame. Towards the end, I popped the flash back on, gelled it green, and let it fill some in. I was experimenting with the WB as well- flash, auto, and tungsten were all in the mix at some point, but since I was shooting RAW, I was not to concerned about where it was in camera. Some samples for C&C-

The dancers alternated with a Celtic/Fusion band named Kilrush- I was practicing while they were on stage, and was pleased with what I got there too-

The lighting was interesting- It was more of a party atmosphere, so the house lights were not completely dimmed. There were traditional, (I assume) tungsten flood/spots on the stage from the front, and then green lights (St Patrick's Day and all...) over the back of the stage. Depending on where they stood, the performers were in different colors of light- the band was further back into the green than the dancers were, but the effect on the dancers was some interesting green shadowing.

Anxious to hear any thoughts- good or bad!

Old 03-19-2011   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7602
Default Re: St Patrick's Day at the Scranton Cultural Center

You got some fun moments there. Irish dancing is so fascinating. I like your musicians too.
Old 03-23-2011   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 159563

Loads of green lighting too. Very appropriate. Great series.
KateMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 49

They are all great shots! My favorite is #1! I love the colors on their costumes and how they just pop at you! Awesome job, this is not an easy subject matter!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Event & Performance »

Share this topic: