Archiving images and the future.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 5883
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Archiving images and the future.

Back in the film days photographers archived their negitives for future use. Now everything stores our music, videos, documents, and images in one type of computer storage device. So how exactely are we going to be able to retreive our images that we archive on external drive, and storage discs when all electronics and computer equipment goes obsolete so quickly?

It seems like technology is advancing quicker as time goes on. I find it hard to believe that the computers and the programs in the somewhat near future are going to be able to read files that we now store our images on.

So really I guess the only solution to this, is to make sure you transfer image files when technology and storage systems advance.

It kind of worries me that I'll have discs and external drives with images on them that if I don't keep up, I won't have the ability to ever retrieve them 10 years from now.

Maybe I'm looking to much into this.

Yoda

My Shop: http://www.zibbet.com/TFlynnPhotography

My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tflynnphoto/
12step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Archiving images and the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12step View Post
It seems like technology is advancing quicker as time goes on. I find it hard to believe that the computers and the programs in the somewhat near future are going to be able to read files that we now store our images on.
Good topic. In the short term (as long as you're alive), you're going to have to keep up with the applications and storage solutions available, migrating your data as technology moves on.

Regarding photographs, while each type of media you might turn to in order to preserve your digital memories has advantages and disadvantages, there's no fool-proof way to ensure that the digital memories you create today will be around 50 years from now. So if your memories are indeed priceless, you should adopt a strategy that involves both storing your files today and creating instructions for migrating your files to the storage media of the future.

In terms of storing your files today, to be safe, make two copies of every file, and store each copy on a different type of media. You might, for instance, keep one copy on an SSD and another at an online service that's not likely to fail anytime soon. In addition, type up instructions to be passed along to those who ultimately will take possession of the data. The instructions should include such information as the type of files that are stored, the programs that were used to create them, and a directive to migrate the files to newer storage media as technology changes.

Ultimately, though, even the best-laid plans can go awry, so be sure to enlist the help of "old tech"--for example, paper--when appropriate. Print out your most cherished digital photographs, for example, and keep them along with a digital copy of the originals. After all is said and done, a box of old photographs just might outlast all the high tech we've been able to come up with over the past twenty-five years.
Old 01-29-2010   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 5883
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Archiving images and the future.

JDArt I was thinking the same thing reference printing out important images. I was thinking that every two weeks (so it doesnt get so expensive) having my trusted printer print out my favorite images of family, landscapes, etc on 8X10's and file them in a file cabinet.

A friend of mine who is a photographer told me about a friend of his who was a photographer that died and had a large barn filled with boxes that contained his negatives. The man's widow didn't know what to do with them so she had to rent a dumpster...a large dumpster...and this photographers entire life's work in photography was hauled off to the landfill.

That story alone has prompted me to decide how I am going to store images.

Yoda

My Shop: http://www.zibbet.com/TFlynnPhotography

My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tflynnphoto/
12step is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: