So I bought a Bamboo Pen and Touch Pad... - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010   #21
Llama

CamelKarma: 2460
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: So I bought a Bamboo Pen and Touch Pad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieSocial View Post
I think a lot of people make the mistake of buying the biggest pad they can afford... if you are used to using a 16 X 20 paper sketchpad with a pencil, this may be fine. I personally found that I was much more comfortable with a much smaller, 6 X 8 pad.

Also, don't think you have to use one or the other... i constantly go back and forth between pad and mouse.

As someone wrote earlier, I don't use it for everything, but I'd hate to be without it.
I had an A6 (small) version of the Wacom Graphire4 tablet and decifded to get a bigger tablet and now have the medium A5 size - I wish I actually still had the A6!! I didn't have to move my arm at all with the A6 tablet and now I have to move my hand around to navigate.

Not a huge issue but I too liked the smaller one better.
EOS 5D MkII with grip| EOS 7D with Grip | EF 24-105 f4L IS | EF 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 85 f1.8 | EF 100 f2.8 Macro | EF 300 f4L IS | EF 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 28-75 f2.8 | Canon 580EX | Sigma EF500 DG Super | Lightsphere II | Stofen Diffuser | Epson P-2000 |Manfroto 055 ProB Tripod w/488RC4 Head | Epson R2400 | Lexmark C544dn | Lowepro Nova 5 AW | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Elinchrom 400BX x2 + 500BRxi x 1 strobes | Sekonic L-358 | Various studio accessories
EOS_JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #22
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Sorry if this question was already covered, but what about hand-pressure on the pad? I'm a left-hander and not sure how pressure from the side of my hand, when I'm drawing, might effect the outcome. Do you use the stylus with your hand raised as that would strike me as being uncomfortable over extended periods of time.
cgephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #23
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No

The pads are pressure sensitive and adjustable. The firmer you press down, the thicker the line output. Only the stylus affects the output. The side of your hand doesn't do a thing to that. You use the stylus you use a pen or pencil.
Old 02-01-2010   #24
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

It doesn't detect your hand at all. I rest my hand on it all the time with no issues.
Old 02-01-2010   #25
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 24555
Editing OK?: Yes

I wonder if that is any different now that "Touch" gestures are being integrated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/tjtunnington
mrpalmer420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #26
Llama

CamelKarma: 2460

The pad is intelligent enough to detect tough from a hand at rest. When using the pen the pad detects the pen pressure (not the hand)
EOS 5D MkII with grip| EOS 7D with Grip | EF 24-105 f4L IS | EF 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 85 f1.8 | EF 100 f2.8 Macro | EF 300 f4L IS | EF 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 28-75 f2.8 | Canon 580EX | Sigma EF500 DG Super | Lightsphere II | Stofen Diffuser | Epson P-2000 |Manfroto 055 ProB Tripod w/488RC4 Head | Epson R2400 | Lexmark C544dn | Lowepro Nova 5 AW | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Elinchrom 400BX x2 + 500BRxi x 1 strobes | Sekonic L-358 | Various studio accessories
EOS_JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #27
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 24555

Awesome. i had been wondering that. I am about to get the Bamboo fun Medium Sized Tablet. (I've heard that the 4x6 is just too small) but was wondering about how the tablet differentiates between my hand and the pen.

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/tjtunnington
mrpalmer420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #28
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpalmer420 View Post
I wonder if that is any different now that "Touch" gestures are being integrated
I hadn't realized what you were referring to until I jumped on Wacom's site. Interesting concept, merging a "touch" sensor ala iTouch/iPhone/iPad style and a graphics tablet. I might try one.
Old 02-02-2010   #29
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4804

Have an older Waccom, medium sized. I bought the medium because it was big enough to rest my hand on, and I have the editing window downsized so that I don't have to move my hand around as much. These are great for being able to turn the page sideways to do some editing as well. I use mine only with PS and mostly only when working with masks and especially the export tool. Nice thing about working with masks is that your pen pressure effects the amount of work the tool is doing.

I think the touch pad looks interesting, may have to bop over and check it out.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #30
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4804

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpalmer420 View Post
Awesome. i had been wondering that. I am about to get the Bamboo fun Medium Sized Tablet. (I've heard that the 4x6 is just too small) but was wondering about how the tablet differentiates between my hand and the pen.
Checked them out, had the same question as you did. They have a switch to turn on and off the touch screen, so you can use the pen alone.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: