Organizing pictures
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2005   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 34
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Organizing pictures

I'm awash in images and videos from my video camera. MP3 files, too.

Is there a program that can help me catalog all of this stuff so that I can actually find what I have?

Thanks.

Old 08-16-2005   #2
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Organizing pictures

Not sure which platform you're using, but I've recently been trialling a few on the Mac.

Photo Mechanic and Portfolio seem to me to offer the most extensive feature set. PM is my current fave and I may well justify buying the full package. Portfolio is quite a bit deeper but is more of a cataloguer (where's the spell checker gone?) - if your underlying folder structure is a mess then Portfolio will nicely hide that and present a virtual view of your photos. PM is more organised in that it 'ingests' your memory cards etc into a specified folder and applies a view on top of that. Probably not explaining this very well, but they're both very easy to use... I also think iPhoto is a pretty powerful organiser and is 'free' with the latest OS - just wish it could handle RAW better...

Also, been messing around with Picasa2 the free organiser from Google - very pretty and fast. Wish there was a port for OS X.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 40

I tried photomechanic on the recommendation of someone here, and I was unimpressed.

It did not seem conducive to using the keyboard for navigation, something that's a must for me.
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #4
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Morrison
I tried photomechanic on the recommendation of someone here, and I was unimpressed.

It did not seem conducive to using the keyboard for navigation, something that's a must for me.
funny you say that - the reason I preferred Photo Mechanic is that it skips through images using the cursor keys, and closed down zoom windows with the escape key. Portfolio expects you to click the relevant buttons with the mouse. I always prefer to use the keyboard to navigate and hate having to move to the mouse to perform a basic action.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #5
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 22449

You may also want to post this in File Organization under Workflow.

"I'd be cynical if I thought it would help"
www.delucophoto.com
deluco is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: