PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Computers and Software (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/)
-   -   Old PC question (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/91606-old-pc-question.html)

aam1234 10-22-2009 01:12 PM

Old PC question

A post by Killjoy in the Photo Book thread brought up this idea.

I have many photos in an old PC that I still have, which I'd like to retrieve. Unfortunately, I don't have a (CRT) monitor nor the necessary cables for it. So I was wondering if there is a way to open up the PC, remove the (SCSI) HD, then somehow copy those photos.

Any ideas.

Cheers

Gna 10-22-2009 01:33 PM

Re: Old PC question

Quote:

Originally Posted by aam1234 (Post 858313)
A post by Killjoy in the Photo Book thread brought up this idea.

I have many photos in an old PC that I still have, which I'd like to retrieve. Unfortunately, I don't have a (CRT) monitor nor the necessary cables for it. So I was wondering if there is a way to open up the PC, remove the (SCSI) HD, then somehow copy those photos.

Any ideas.

Cheers

If you don't daily screw around (literally) with PCs I would suggest you don't do that. Much too risky.
I'd see if I could get (borrow) a CRT and get a connecting cable. Much faster, much less risky, and probably cheaper.

Killjoy 10-22-2009 01:47 PM

SCSI? That IS an old PC. :tongue:

Lemme look around and see if one of my old external cases will handle a SCSI drive.
If so, you pop the drive into the case, and plug it in as an external drive.

Killjoy 10-22-2009 01:52 PM

Okay Al, just how important are those photos to you?

I haven't tried out the cases from these folks but the prices are reasonable for trying to access that old of a drive.
It looks like you need to take a look at your old HD before you order. You may have to order an internal cable from them too.
Could be either 68 pin or 50 pin.

You take the drive out of the old computer, plug it into this case, and then you can use either USB or even Firewire to connect it to your newer PC.

Edit:
Take the old PC, and remove the cover from it.
There should be two to three cables coming out of the back of the Hard Drive. Drives that old still had a seperate cable for the light (to show HD activity).
Remove the four screws from the drive and carefully slide it out of the case. Again, with drives that old, you don't want to jostle them around too much as the heads will bounce off the platters and either screw up the drive heads, or screw up data on the platters at that section/sector.

Gently place the drive in your new case, mount it, and plug the drive into the cables in the case (the case has it's own power supply).
I imagine it's a few dollars more since it has to have a SCSI controller of sorts built into the case.
Close up the case before you plug it into the wall.
Once that's all done, plug it into your PC via the USB port, and it should find it as an external drive. :afro:

aam1234 10-22-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killjoy (Post 858336)
SCSI? That IS an old PC. :tongue:

You are being kind, KJ. I would use "ancient" rather than "old" PC :) Antiquated is even better :)

aam1234 10-22-2009 02:04 PM

Thanks for the link and "edit" Alan.

I have a friend in the IT business (a friend and a colleague) so I'll ask his help with your suggestion.

Many thanks, mate.

Killjoy 10-22-2009 02:04 PM

Edit: Ooops, my bad., They are in Walnut CA, not Walnut Creek. Duh! Hundreds of miles away. Sorry Al.

aam1234 10-22-2009 02:12 PM

It's all good :afro:

That photo I mentioned is a favorite of mine. Plus, I scanned very old photos of the family that I'd LOVE to get back.

Big cheers, mate.

KatMitchell 10-22-2009 02:38 PM

Hmmm.. I am far from a tech head... but if it was me, I would pull the hard drive and install it as a secondary hard drive in the computer you are using now in order to access the files. ;)

OR

There is always craigslist where they give CRT monitors away for free or for real cheap, you can always get one on there...;-)

I hope you can retrieve those photos..

Kat

aam1234 10-22-2009 02:43 PM

Hi Kat.

Option one won't work because it's a SCSI drive. Option two won't work either because I'm not in the US of A :)

Thanks for the suggestions, regardless :afro: