PC laptop?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009   #1
Photocamel Muse

CamelKarma: 61445
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Question PC laptop?

Ok - I am still undecided as to what new computer to get. I am considering a couple of Mac options, but I don't want to talk about that here. NO MAC SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

My question in this thread is what powerful yet portable PC laptop options are out there for me? At the moment I have a dead HP desktop and an Acer Aspire 1680. I need more power than this aspire can offer and I need better graphics. On my desktop I have a lovely Samsung monitor I'd like to be able to plug into the next laptop.

Problem is that I am not computer savvy. I have no clue what I need.

Help?

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #2
Gna
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 352
Default Re: PC laptop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Ok - I am still undecided as to what new computer to get. I am considering a couple of Mac options, but I don't want to talk about that here. NO MAC SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

My question in this thread is what powerful yet portable PC laptop options are out there for me? At the moment I have a dead HP desktop and an Acer Aspire 1680. I need more power than this aspire can offer and I need better graphics. On my desktop I have a lovely Samsung monitor I'd like to be able to plug into the next laptop.

Problem is that I am not computer savvy. I have no clue what I need.

Help?
OK, let's see if we can condense that: you're looking for a laptop with adequate horsepower and RAM for photo and video editing, right? So that would minimally be a dual core machine, 2,5Ghz and up, with a quality graphics card and at least 4GB of RAM. What size screen do you want? For photo and video editing the bigger the better of course. 17 inch?
Gna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #3
Photocamel Muse

The processor part of what you wrote is greek to me, but I will write it down. I do know that I want more than 4GB ram.

17" laptop right now, and it's not fun to travel with. I don't do serious photo editing on trips, so am thinking a 15" would make life easier. At home I would want to plug it into the Samsung monitor for photo editing.

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Old 10-19-2009   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465

Just an FYI ... you'll need a 64bit operating system to handle more than 4GB of ram.
Old 10-19-2009   #5
Photocamel Muse

Is that a problem? Seriously - I have no idea (not being smart, quite the opposite actually lol).

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Old 10-19-2009   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465

No, not a problem. Just didn't want you spend $$$ on 6GB of ram and then get 32 bit Windows and not be able to use the extra memory.
Old 10-19-2009   #7
Gna
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
The processor part of what you wrote is greek to me, but I will write it down. I do know that I want more than 4GB ram.

17" laptop right now, and it's not fun to travel with. I don't do serious photo editing on trips, so am thinking a 15" would make life easier. At home I would want to plug it into the Samsung monitor for photo editing.
OK, so that's a 15" screen, for portability. That's not very big of course. Compared to your Samsung screen (I'm assuming that's a 24"?) it'll seem downright puny. I would try to compensate somewhat with quality. I suggest a LED-backlit glossy screen for rich colors, high contrast, and high resolution (1440x900 and up).

So now we only have to find a laptop with a 15" glossy backlit LED screen, a 2,5Ghz (or higher) dual core CPU and quality graphics card (e.g. NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory), and 8GB of RAM.
Those are the specs you want afaik. Now I hope some of our fellow Camels with expert Windows laptop knowledge will chime in to point you to one or two machines with those specs.
Gna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #8
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 92951
Editing OK?: Yes

As a suggestion:

HP Compaq 6730b KS179UT Laptop Computer - Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB, DVDRW, 15.4" WXGA, Windows XP Pro/Vista Business at TigerDirect.com

Anyhow, starting with this site, you can readily compare brands/options/pricing as a starting point.

Have you made a list prioritizing the desired features/functionality? Must have vs. want? It might help to narrow down your field of fire.

Dew

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer!
LibertyHeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 228901
Editing OK?: No

http://www.pc.ibm.com/ch/de/thinkpad/
Old 10-19-2009   #10
Photocamel Muse

Definitely don't want a glossy screen. I know not much about computers, but I do know that much. I'll check out both of those links, thanks guys.

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic:

Tags
computer, laptop, portable, powerful