Need help from the Big Dogs
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4804
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Need help from the Big Dogs

I just purchased a new barebones computer system into which I plan to move my current hard drives. New system is a full tower, Intel i7, 12ghz ram. Can I simply move the current drives, OS and all, into the new case? I will be upgrading to Vista 64 Ultimate after the integration in order to take advantage of the ram.

Old 08-10-2009   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 3357
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Need help from the Big Dogs

You can simply move the drives over from the old PC and use those as standard drives. If they are SATA drives ought only need to plug them in and turn the PC on. You cannot plug that drive in the PC and use it as the primary OS drive unless you format it first.

Flickr
kewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Can I simply move the current drives, OS and all, into the new case?
You can try, but it probably will not work. That is, the current configuration of your OS will likely not work with the new chipset, etc., on the new motherboard. Worth a shot, though. It did work for me on one system I have.
Old 08-10-2009   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
You can try, but it probably will not work. That is, the current configuration of your OS will likely not work with the new chipset, etc., on the new motherboard. Worth a shot, though. It did work for me on one system I have.
I've done it as well but it's a painful process if not done correctly.

Download the drivers for your new motherboard chipset as well as any new components BEFORE you make the switch. Just don't install them. Put them in a known place on the C: drive. Then move everything over.

When the computer boots up, it will most likely go into Safe Mode. Start installing the drivers at that point, starting with anything associated with the motherboard (chipset first, then everything else).

When the drivers are finished and you can get into Windows and online, run Windows Update to get the latest of everything else.

Test absolutely everything FIRST. THEN proceed with the 64-bit upgrade.
Old 08-10-2009   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 228901
Editing OK?: No

Not a good idea IMHO even if it somehow works. If you ave organized everything on separate partitions (OS, DATA) then put the drives in the new machine. Install the OS and when asked
either erase the OS partition or format it and then tell the install to put the OS in there. That
way you will have a faster and cleaner OS. After the install your data drives/partitions should be there and you can use them immediately.

One tip: Wait for Windows 7 or start using Win 7 RC 64 bit (free download). You will have so much more fun with that OS than with Vista, believe me. I think it comes out in October.

Some things may not work with 64 bit. U can basically only use 32 bit browser since Adobe flash for 64 bit only exists for linux. My Canon scanner does not have drivers for 64 bit - so sooner or later I will replace it (thanks CANON !!!! - they are lazy with drivers).

Is that 12 GIG of RAM? I have 8 GB and the only time Win 7 uses it is when I have VMWare with business software, LR and working on CS4 PS on massive things (multiple layers, intensive filters). Video encoding uses more processor power from my findings.
Old 08-11-2009   #6
Dromedary

Thanks, this is pretty much the hassel that I remember it being. I think I am going to go with a PC mover and cable setup to move over to the new config, so I don't have to sit and reinstall all of my software. Biggest headache is always with my video editing software, which requires me to contact the company for a new reg number everytime I make changes like this.

Yep, 12gb, it's what comes with the new mobo. Asus P6t, intel i7 920, 4 500gb sata drives, full tower because I'm tired of working inside of cramped cases. I already have an unused Vista 64 ultimate sitting on my shelf that I was going to put on my current machine.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #7
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 235

What do you use all that horsepower for, Harry?
Stercus Vultus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #8
Dromedary

I want all I can get for doing my video edits, 3d, special effects etc. . . that and I like a little extra power.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #9
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 235

Sounds like a big block Dodge to me.
Stercus Vultus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #10
Dromedary

Actually, you all know that time is money and this should shave more minutes of of rendering time. My original setups would take nearly an entire day to render from avi to mpeg 2, all the time hoping that you hadn't made any editing mistakes. My two newer setups took that down to near real time, 2 hour video render to mpeg 2 in 2 hours. My core 2 duo didn't seem to improve on that much. The i7 is supposed to cut to well below real time. Of course, now the rumor mill has it that there is a new Intel chip coming out soon that puts the i7 to shame. Where the i7 is still a core 2 quad clone, the new one is supposed to be entirely different way faster than the i7.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: