Total Frustration with Adobe... (CS4)
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 11755
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Total Frustration with Adobe... (CS4)

Just a rant about current practices at Adobe......

Adobe's new flagship Photoshop CS4 Extended is hyped as the "Cat's Meow" of photo editing and graphics software. It has some of the most advanced features available including 3D, hardware rendering, advanced stacking, HDR, etc., etc., etc. It actually may be the most fantastic editing software anywhere! But, you can't prove it by me.... Not yet, and maybe not ever....

I can't install it! I have attempted to put it on two of my systems. One a Dell, the other a Gateway. Each has Win XP Home edition. After over six hours of install, uninstall, upgrade video drivers, download 814 megabyte files "twice," install Windows Service Pack 3, etc., etc., I finally called Adobe Support only to be totally disappointed with the non-support.

First, I am subjected to a lengthy wait listening to loud, bad, music loops. Next I'm connected to a "support" person, apparently in India or Pakistan with an accent making it very difficult to understand his "English." He wasn't at all interested in learning about "where" the installation had failed, but just wanted to shovel me off to download a "Windows Cleaner" and "CS4 Cleanup Script." He informed me that I may have to uninstall "ALL ADOBE PRODUCTS" before installing the CS4 Extended Trial.

Now the above statement is just plain stupid, especially from an Adobe representative! Try Adobe Flash, Photoshop versions 5, 7 and CS each complete with dozens of plug-ins, hundreds of actions, specialized settings, etc. How about Adobe Frame Maker with hundreds of projects, Adobe Quick Time, Adobe Encore, Adobe Premier, etc., etc., all with myriad data, plugins, etc. We're talking weeks of reinstall or a complete reinstall of the disk which would, of course, wipe out CS4 EXtended (if it were ever installed - LOL).

So after once again uninstalling the remnants of CS4, installing and running the Win cleanup and CS4 cleanup and reinstall of CS4 Extended - guess what? Yep, failed at exactly the same point - the installation of "Adobe Media Player."

I've wasted two days on simply trying to evaluate CS4 Extended. I've installed a service pack I didn't want or need. I've completely lost Flash thanks to the CS4 Cleanup script and still have no CS4 trial installation. I'm writing this while again listening to bad, loud music loops (for the past 45 minutes).

Listen up Adobe - I've spend many, many thousands of dollars with your company and deserve better treatment. Will I purchase CS4 Extended? It's not likely and becoming less likely with every bar of bad, loud, music loop. Do you actually want to sell your products? Then get some knowledgeable technical support people who can help sort out issues like this and make them available. Don't have some 1st level "support" dweeb who speaks the native language of the country where the support is to be given with an accent so strong that it's impossible for a native speaker to understand. Don't have someone who insults the intelligence of the potential customer with silly statements. In addition to the statement about possibly removing "all Adobe" software before the install, he make the mistake of telling me that this was only "Trial Software" an therefore not necessarily a "stable" and trouble free version. I had to remind him that Adobe states that you simply pay for then receive the unlock code and this "unstable" trial version becomes the "real" and "very expensive" CS4 release version! Give me a break already!!

End rant..... Beware. If you order CS4 maybe you should download the trial version first and be certain it will install and run on your system. I hope you have better luck than I've had.

Lin
http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 422
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Total Frustration with Adobe... (CS4)

buy a mac...all your frustrations will end
Beavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavo View Post
buy a mac...all your frustrations will end
Anyone who makes a statement like that simply hasn't spent enough time with Macs.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 422
Editing OK?: Ask first

Yes, ok, I'm sorry for that comment, macs do have their moments like all technology. As far as compatibilities go I have yet to have an issue. Did anyone ever mention how much you look like the Windows dude on the mac commercials Zemlin?? heh heh
I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with your CS4 Lin.
Beavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #5
Guanaco

After another 2.5 hours of listening to the bad music loops, I gave up on Adobe support and posted my "rant" on the Adobe Photoshop forum. A very nice and well-informed forum contributor suggested that I reinstall manually and omit the Adobe Media Player. I did so and the program finally installed.

How the absence of the Adobe Media Player might adversely affect using CS4 Extended I have yet to learn, but assume that they didn't include it without a good reason since there are myriad good media players available. Also the question of why the Adobe Media Player portion of the installation crashed both my Windows XP based systems remains.

As an aside, I have used MacIntosh (I used to sell them for Apple) since they were first released back in the "stone age" of computing. Unfortunately, there are numerous software packages which I rely on in my business which are not available yet for the Mac, nor or there viable substitutes, so I also use Windows based systems and to keep a reasonable workflow, I do most of my photo management, presentation slideshow productions, etc., with Windows.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin
Old 08-11-2009   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 228901
Editing OK?: No

you might get some hints here:

Adobe Forums: Search

forget hotlines ...

Did you install as admin?
Old 08-12-2009   #7
Guanaco

Followup on my experience with CS4 Extended and Adobe, etc.

The good news isn't that Adobe's tech support came through - they didn't. Also it isn't that Adobe Photoshop CS4 has excellent help, it's terrible. The good news is that there are some great people including representatives from Adobe who watch the Adobe forum and that they came through for me.

As it turns out, Adobe added a Media Player to PS4 which isn't integral to the product or even really necessary if you have another suitable one. The install was crashing at the point of trying to install the media player. A suggestion from one of the forum members was to install manually and just remove the checkmark from the Media Player and omit it. I did this and was able to install the trial version on both my systems.

CS4 Extended works great. If only the help was even close to being useful it would be fantastic. Though of course CS4 Extended is far from a full blown 3D software, it does allow the user to do some really neat things like take a photo and wrap it around a sphere, soda bottle can, cylinder, donut, ring, wine bottle, etc. You can then animate the object on the XY and Z axis and output in several formats including individual PNG frames complete with transparency, AVI, etc. You have some sophisticated lighting and painting controls and all-in-all it's a really nice upgrade over previous versions for those who need the additional features.

Another forum visitor who is an Adobe employee helped me with a couple problems I was otherwise unable to resolve so finally I had a good experience from a very rocky beginning.

Adobe has a free 30 day trial of CS4 Extended for those who want to give it a test drive.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: