New Mac - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009   #11
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 235
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianssobrien View Post
Don't you find the glossy screen difficult to deal with when you start working within the blacks and isn't it a little too contrasty?...
I greatly prefer it over matt screens (my previous MBP and 17" G4 iMac had/have that).
Stercus Vultus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #12
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Don't you find the glossy screen difficult to deal with when you start working within the blacks and isn't it a little too contrasty?... I am just wondering as I have only worked with the matt screens.
What environment are you working in? When I post process I work in a darkened room with no lights to my back to cause any glare issues.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #13
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
What environment are you working in? When I post process I work in a darkened room with no lights to my back to cause any glare issues.
I work in low light... but the glossy screens are designed to create a more vivid set of colours and a higher contrast. The glare really isn't an issue here. But as I mentioned, I have only worked on Matt screens. I have a MBP at home and MacPro at work. I was just looking for other peoples opinions who may have worked in both!
christianssobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #14
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 235

Quote:
I work in low light... but the glossy screens are designed to create a more vivid set of colours and a higher contrast. The glare really isn't an issue here. But as I mentioned, I have only worked on Matt screens. I have a MBP at home and MacPro at work. I was just looking for other peoples opinions who may have worked in both!
I have/had iMacs with matt and glossy screens. I easily prefer the glossy screens.
I have/had MacBook Pros with matt and glossy screens. I easily prefer the glossy screens.
Compared to matt screens, however precise/exact their color and contrast rendition may be, glossy screens are a treat for my eyes. A joy to work with.
Stercus Vultus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #15
gpw
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 885
Editing OK?: No

You did the right thing, also made the change a week ago and got myself the Mac Book Pro 15.
Its awesome, no issues and I cant get enough of it. Great machine- just love it. Just a few days and you get to know everything.
gpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #16
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 840

Any one know if it is true about Photoshop not charging full price on the switch and just charging the upgrade price?
Ron_Casas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #17
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Casas View Post
Any one know if it is true about Photoshop not charging full price on the switch and just charging the upgrade price?
If you have a LEGAL version (yes they check) of PhotoShop for Windoze you will need to write Adobe Tech Support, explain the change of Operation Systems and provide the key code for you version of PhotoShop. You will then be able to purchase PhotoShop upgrade version that will work for your new Mac.

Personally, I havn't bothered to do so yet, since CS4 is a 32 bit version. I'm waiting for CS5 and the 64 bit version that they should have done with CS4.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 194
Editing OK?: Ask first

Ron
What was the total price for the 24" combo unit? I might get a desktop for the house.
I just bought a 13" Macbook last month and even though I had a week learning curve, love it.

The bad thing is, I havn't been able to use my camera as much as I wanted to in about 3 weeks.
I spent a week learning the Mac, then decided to buy Lightroom 2 and Phostshop CS4.

Even though I can import photos, etc in LR2, I wanted to really understand it before I started putting thousands of photos in it. So far its great.

Wish I had did this years ago.

GPatch

PS I lived in Hilton Head for a year. It was great !!
Old 08-10-2009   #19
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 840

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpatch View Post
Ron
What was the total price for the 24" combo unit? I might get a desktop for the house.
I just bought a 13" Macbook last month and even though I had a week learning curve, love it.

The bad thing is, I havn't been able to use my camera as much as I wanted to in about 3 weeks.
I spent a week learning the Mac, then decided to buy Lightroom 2 and Phostshop CS4.

Even though I can import photos, etc in LR2, I wanted to really understand it before I started putting thousands of photos in it. So far its great.

Wish I had did this years ago.

GPatch

PS I lived in Hilton Head for a year. It was great !!

I picked it up at Best Buy and it was right around $1800 with the 3 year extended warranty...
Ron_Casas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #20
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 180938

I have also an 24´Mac since 2 Weeks after 10 years Windows
and I am very happy.

Greetings
hexi

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: