Windows 7 discount offer
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 4363
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Windows 7 discount offer

Did anyone manage to get their pre-orders in? Wow, so lucky I had, because where I had ordered, it is now sold out

Canonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 228901
Default Re: Windows 7 discount offer

I heard from several sources that they will sell a family edition for 3 PC and I am waiting for that. Not sure about the pricing though.
Old 07-16-2009   #3
Bactrian

This is the first I have heard about it, had a quick google on the matter, and says it will probably retail at around $149, i.e. cheaper if you didn't get your pre-order of Home Premium, which will probably retail at $199, of course, I don't know where you are from, so can't comment

Retailers prepped for Windows 7 family pack ? Channel Register
Old 07-16-2009   #4
Photocamel Master

It really seems like there will be be a 3 or more PC bundle but no confirmation yet.

I started using MS Bitlocker for drive encryption on all my data partitions with Win 7. However, only Win 7 and entrerprise will have it as feature which are quite expensive. So first I thought I needed to get 3 ultimate licenses for our 2 notebooks plus desktop to have Bitlocker included.

Then I tested Truecrypt which is offers free encryption (open source) and it works great . A bit troublesome to always mount the data drive when you start the PC but hell if you want protection you need to do something. Now before anybody tells me that it can be hacked with brutforce attacks or keylogger - yeah, but its much muc harder for the average Joe and my passwords are quite strong and not to be hacked with dictionary attacks at least.

Sorry for the bit out-of-topic.
Old 07-16-2009   #5
Bactrian

I have Vista Ultimate, and have never used Bitlocker, bit scared that anything I encrypt will not be recoverable Perhaps you could persuade me that it is a good thing?)
Old 07-16-2009   #6
Bactrian

Bitlocker on Win 7 Ultimate? Not even been released yet?
Old 07-16-2009   #7
Photocamel Master

2 things made me use Bitlocker (and now Truecrypt):

a) I live in Bali - and well the chances that expat houses are robbed are quite high. I do online backup of my business data every nite to a server in the US (also encrypted). If someone steals my desktop and USB backups well at least I can recover my business data which is essential. My business is not really that confidential but you dont want somebody playing around with it.

b) I travel a lot and my wife brings her own notebook around. So if we loose them at least the data part partitions are to a high degree protected. Same way I protect my USB drives which I use for backup when I am traveling around.

In the past few weeks I read a lot about PC security and from what I read from various sites is that yes encrypted data can be hacked into but it is quite difficult especially if your password is strong (long with special characters, Upper/lower case, non-dictionary).

Even if someone get physical access to my PC and boots it up there is no data available. The encrupted volume needs to be mounted first with password.

Advantage of Truecrypt is that it works under Macs and Linux as well.

One lesson I learned is not to encrypt my whole USB drive but 80% only. That still gives me some space to exchange data with someone else (just in case). Wanted today do that but could not since my whole USB disk was encrypted and they would not get access to it without bitlocker.

With Truecrypt (which replaced Bitlocker for me) you can even hide your ecrypted drives completely so that you would need to know its there before even thinking about hacking it.
Old 07-16-2009   #8
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400duser View Post
I have Vista Ultimate, and have never used Bitlocker, bit scared that anything I encrypt will not be recoverable Perhaps you could persuade me that it is a good thing?)
You loose your password you are done. Unless you have access to bruteforce software . Even then, it depends how strong your password is.
Old 07-16-2009   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

I heard Windows 7 will be released ahead of schedule, September 1 or thereabouts.
Old 07-16-2009   #10
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
I heard Windows 7 will be released ahead of schedule, September 1 or thereabouts.
Im not in a real hurry. I am using Windows RC and I think that expires next year?
I don't think the RTM will be much different but that's not necessary either. Very happy with it. If they would remove the RC logo from the screen I would pay MS the price for the license and continue using it. No issues so far.

felix.reichardt is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: