1GB high speed CF card question
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2005   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 1GB high speed CF card question

Hello, a week ago i bought Canon G6. It is superb camera, but for nice photos i need a lot of space, so i think to buy 1gb CF. But i need high speed card. So there it is: 1GB 40x high speed is cheaper than 1gb 66x high speed. Is there any noticable difference between those two while using camera? Using card reader there is, but how about camera itself?

Thanks

Regards, Darius

Old 08-08-2005   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 40
Default Re: 1GB high speed CF card question

Get the cheaper card. You're talking milliseconds here. Not something humans really can measure in the real world. Save the dough, get the cheaper card, my opinion.
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #3
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

Or even better - get a fast 2GB card! I just ordered one of these earlier today (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...ston_cards.asp) - cost me 61. I'd bought a 'high-speed' 512MB card for 50 just the other week when I didn't know any better :.

As for speed differences - I really don't think you'll notice any improvements going from 40x to 66x.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11

Be carefull using to large of a capacity card. The tendency is to shoot until it's full and you run the risk if the card fails of loosing all your pics. I find it best to either have several 512K or 1 gig handy.
Old 08-08-2005   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 27
Default 4GB Kingston - $212

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...=done&nextloc=

Plus they have rebates. Thank me later.
BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 34
Default Re: 4GB Kingston - $212

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...=done&nextloc=

Plus they have rebates.* Thank me later.
For me the best bang for buck always came when the cards get down to around $100. Right now that's for 2 GB cards.
AlbertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 23

Do some research and find out how fast your camera is capable of sending data to the CF. Then buy the CF that meets those requirements. Any faster is just a waste UNLESS you keep it around for your new faster camera.

Actually it's not a waste..the faster card will help in downloads to your computer using a card reader.
Old 08-08-2005   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstorm
Do some research and find out how fast your camera is capable of sending data to the CF.* Then buy the CF that meets those requirements.*
This should offer some insight

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007
Old 08-08-2005   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 97
Editing OK?: Ask first

I would recommend the faster card as well. You may not notice much speed difference in the real world, but it could cost you a shot. Also, they seem to be built a little hardier. The only CF I've ever had crash was a slower speed consumer version. I now shoot the Sandisk Extreme III 2Gb and I just purchased the Lexar Pro 80x 2Gb and like it equally as well. This is one of those things where you don't want to scrimp. If the card fails, you're likely to lose all your images, unless they can be retrieved with recovery software. Why take the chance since the high end cars are getting so reasonably price.

| David Bailey Photography | Digital Racing Images | Grafix USA |

I have a camera...
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 22

Hmm....lot's of valid points, from different camps. Is cost a factor to you (within reason)? is this for the family snapshots or pro work? I've had EXTREMELY good luck with my Lexar Pros. Probably would have had equally good luck with SanDisc's, had I bought any. I'm putting together an order at B&H right now and can get a single 2gb for $150ish, or 3 1Gb's for $150ish. I'm personally going to go with the 3 gb's worth on smaller cards, but that's just me. Yes, a full card can make me miss a shot, but with the work I do, that doesn't really matter much. For others, that would be catastrophic. Another reason I like smaller cards is for weddings. If one gets corrupt, I don't lose as many images. It's never happened, but I am a paranoid type. I've also heard the argument that less cards means less chance of corruption. Who knows. This just works for me. Speaking of corrupt files, don't ever let your camera batteries run dry. If this happens when writing to the card, there's a good chance of corrupting the whole card. Just my 3.5 cents worth.

10d
17-40 F4 L
24-70 2.8 L
70-200 2.8 L IS
PhotoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: