Whats the best PC laptop for Photography
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 194
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Whats the best PC laptop for Photography

Its time to buy another laptop. Had this one for 4 years. I like the new Mac for its size and screen, but will not buy a Mac. Wife and kids have a PC and don't want to use or learn another system.
My question is, "Is there a PC that is simular to the Mac Pro?" with 13-14 inch screen that will run Photoshop, etc.
I use a desktop at home and the laptop on the road. Put my Photos on a a ext HD.
Thanks in advance.
Glenn

gpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #2
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 235
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Whats the best PC laptop for Photography

The MacBook Pro, gpatch.

It runs all Windows flavors, OSX, and all Linux flavors, and all associated software. Natively. As fast, or faster than any other laptop/OS combo out there.

So you get 2, 3, or even 4 laptops for one price! The best of all worlds!
Stercus Vultus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 542743
Editing OK?: Yes

I'm hardly an expert, but we bought an HP last November that we have been very happy with. We bought it at B&H and the price was pretty reasonable. It's very fast and I've found that Vista works pretty well on it.

War Eagle
k9ofkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 194
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Is there a MacPro PC clone?

I know that MacPro will run windows, but I've been told by several friends that have one that, some windows programs don't run as smothly on Mac as a PC.
In my case, I have several dozen windows programs on my PC now and don't want to take the chance of changing platforms.

I would love to find a PC that looked just like the MacPro, but windows only. I like the Macs one piece metal case and the weight.
Since the MacPro is so popular, I would think that someone, would copy it.

Glenn

Last edited by gpatch; 06-23-2009 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: add text, change thread name
gpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 228901
Editing OK?: No

When I drove home I saw a huge add for this one:

Light as your time can be

Not sure whether Acer and this model are any good but maybe that's what you are looking for?

[Edit: the other specs are fantastic but the processor is rather a creeping one from cnet review]

I'm in the market too after this !@#$%^ Lenovo crap I bought last year is getting hot like an oven.
Old 06-24-2009   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1298
Editing OK?: Yes

We used to use Lenovo at work. Stay away!

We switched to Toshiba and have been pretty happy so far. They ain't cheap though.

"The most worth-while thing is to try to put happiness into the lives of others." B.P
5D Mk II
Canon: 50 f1.8, 24-105L f4 IS, 100 f2.8 Macro
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM
580 EXII Vivitar 285HV, Elinchrom EL-Skyport
seab3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1287

A really powerful but quite expensive option would be Alienware.

Sony VAIO is also quite powerful depending on the specs.
Fireice_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 319

I got an email from ASUS computers today that was advertising something similar...

I have NO EXPERIENCE with this computer... so this is NOT a recommendation. I just thought of this thread when I read the email. HERE is a link to the ASUS Seashell.
highbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbarger View Post
I got an email from ASUS computers today that was advertising something similar...

I have NO EXPERIENCE with this computer... so this is NOT a recommendation. I just thought of this thread when I read the email. HERE is a link to the ASUS Seashell.
Something they don't tell you in the Apple store. The Macbook laptops are actually MADE BY ASUS. Of course your link points to the Asus Eee which is of course a netbook, but in their regular laptop line, you basically have a Macbook running Windows and with a real live right click button.
A co-worker of mine has one of these and it's quite an impressive machine.
tleonhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 121
Editing OK?: No

Sony, Toshiba, and HP all make laptops that will work flawlessly for photography... I would stay away from Dell (poor business practices)... also if size is a concern... a netbook may work well for you...

Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum - Staff Photographer
Canon Professional Services Member
Orgnoi1 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: