Computer modem
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009   #1
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 951730
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Computer modem

I have a single DSL with Verizon and both my computers have trouble navigating Photocamel and the internet. After clicking on different forum titles, karma icon etc the "Website page can not be found " pops up. Is this due to a faulty modem?

.....Canon A630
===========================================
TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU LIKE TO BE TREATED. Mt. 22: 39
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Computer modem

What brand and model of DSL modem are you using, world of difference between the cheapies and high quality modems. Also, noise on the line accounts for most of the connect problems with any modem, make sure all of your connections are clean and well made contacts. Quality modems have noise filters internally to suppress noise. Test your ISP's line for noise also, there are free downloads for testing programs on the net.
Old 05-05-2009   #3
SyCo

CamelKarma:

Unlikely to be you modem, but possibly, they usually work or not. what the model number (the exact one on the bottom)

A couple of IT classic steps first.
Have you tried turning it off (wait 30 mins) turn it on.
Are you sure its plugged in correctly and all the cables are undamaged.

It could be a few things. As you have multiple computers then I presume you have a router (both PCs can connect at the same time). Is the moden also the router? if it's 2 boxes connect the network cable signal directly into the PC and see how it does.

Most routers now are also wireless. So even if you computers are not using the wireless signal it might still be out there for someone to steal. It's possible your neighbors kid is downloading using your bandwidth. This can cripple but not kill an internet connection. If you're connecting slowly and sometimes this would be the first thing to fix. Log into your router to add wpa2 security and change your router's default passwords. You can usually get a list of connected clients. It's possible your neighbor has accidentally connected (really accidentally), you will see their computer name which might give you a clue.

If it's still crap it might be a network issue outside your control. Your street might be maxed out, the signal strength might be reduced because of distance. etc. Either way a call to Verizon is the next step and see what they have to say. I had sub contractors block my internet for technical reasons and not tell me. Only after an technician came out they found the block and fixed the problem.

If the problem has arisen recently and it used to work fine then it's most likely a verizon issue or someone is wardriving (stealing wireless).
Old 05-05-2009   #4
Photocamel Master

Bingo! Turning it off for 1 minute cured it. I turn the modem off each night. Never occured to me to turn it off again.
It's a Westell 6100. No router, no wireless.
Karma to both of you. Thanks
Old 05-05-2009   #5
SyCo

CamelKarma:

cool, easy fix
Old 05-05-2009   #6
SyCo

CamelKarma:

Just noticed your location.
You might want to set a waypoint on the way home next time
Old 05-05-2009   #7
Photocamel Master

Unfortunately the video failed to work however the one about explosives did. Thanks anyway
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidebyte View Post
What brand and model of DSL modem are you using, world of difference between the cheapies and high quality modems. Also, noise on the line accounts for most of the connect problems with any modem, make sure all of your connections are clean and well made contacts. Quality modems have noise filters internally to suppress noise. Test your ISP's line for noise also, there are free downloads for testing programs on the net.
I was talking with a tech support person about a problem I was having with my modem. I was instructed to turn off the modem and computer and wait three minutes before turning them back on.

This is not the first time I've been told to wait before turning the equipment back on, but no one explains why I have to wait.

Why?
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 792881

The capacitors in the modem (or a computer) will hold a charge after the power is shut off. They need to discharge before the memory can really be cleared. 3 minutes seems way too long but it will ensure a fresh reboot. I usually wait about 15 seconds.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: