Renaming photos in Lightroom?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 594
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Renaming photos in Lightroom?

I know how to name files, but this one has me stumped.

Lightroom somehow imported duplicates. The originals were called <modelname>_<date>_<sequence#> and these new ones are <modelname>_<date>_<sequence#>-2 and I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the "-2" part. Any ideas?

Also, under what circumstances would I have gotten those duplicate files? I always have the 'ignore duplicates' checked.

Old 02-03-2009   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Renaming photos in Lightroom?

Your import probably used a Custom Name and you forgot to either change the name or push out the start number.

Find the last number of the series.

Set up a filter to only show files that end in "-2". CTRL-A to select them all.

Rename all of photos, using the same custom name but start at the last number of the series + 1.
Old 02-03-2009   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 594
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
Your import probably used a Custom Name and you forgot to either change the name or push out the start number.

Find the last number of the series.

Set up a filter to only show files that end in "-2". CTRL-A to select them all.

Rename all of photos, using the same custom name but start at the last number of the series + 1.
I want to see if I'm following you. Let's say there were photos x-001 through x-010. You want me to rename them x-011 to x-020? If that's right, I don't understand why.

However, the larger problem would that would be that the models already have proof CDs where the numbers correspond to what I have, and to make it worse, before I made the CDs I would have narrowed the photos down even more so that I may only have x-002, x-005 and x-010 so when I renamed them in sequence again it'd be totally fubar as there'd only be three numbers.
waple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by waple View Post
I want to see if I'm following you. Let's say there were photos x-001 through x-010. You want me to rename them x-011 to x-020? If that's right, I don't understand why.
So what WOULD you name them? They are the same model, same date, and same sequence number as another during the initial import. That's why LR adds the -2 to the end. You just said they weren't duplicates and it's not like you can pick a number in between or anything.

Quote:
However, the larger problem would that would be that the models already have proof CDs where the numbers correspond to what I have, and to make it worse, before I made the CDs I would have narrowed the photos down even more so that I may only have x-002, x-005 and x-010 so when I renamed them in sequence again it'd be totally fubar as there'd only be three numbers.
You seem to be having enough problems with your workflow that going back and redesigning it may not be a bad idea here. You're obviously finding places where it doesn't work.

brian.austin is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: