How to organize two models in one shoot with LR?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 594
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default How to organize two models in one shoot with LR?

Today I photographed two models and there were photos of each of them individually and of them together. I have a folder called Models and in there I have folders of each model's name and then each of those is broken down by the date we shot. I've worked with these two before and each has her own separate folder.

However, I'm not sure what to do with these photos that include both of them. I'd hate to put them all under one of the girl's folders, but not sure if making a third folder with both of their names is the right way either. And if I try to reimport the files into the 2nd folder it says they're already in the library. It's too bad that virtual copies can't be moved to duplicate locations.

Any ideas?

Old 01-31-2009   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: How to organize two models in one shoot with LR?

Put them wherever and make a Collection. Collections don't care about physical locations.
Old 02-01-2009   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 271

I agree with you about not being able to move virtual copies. In this instance, I think Brian's suggestion is the easiest thing to do.

Another idea is to keyword the models and search with keywords.

tomrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No

As Brian said, that is the purpose of collections. They're wonderful tools.
Old 02-01-2009   #5
Llama

I thought of collections, but isn't that basically doing twice the organizing? The folders already exist and are easilly accessed, but then I'd have to go ahead and create a second organized structure in the way of a collection. Unless there's some easier way of doing this that I'm not sure about. The way I see it working is that after I import the photos and then drag them to the appropriate folder. Then I'd need to go to the collections tab and then create a new collection under Models with each of the models names. That's exactly what I did already in the Folders tab, so I'm basically doing the same thing twice. Is that correct or is there some easier way to do this? It's too bad you can't make a collection by right clicking the folder or dragging it down to the collections area.
waple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #6
Llama

Well, I figured out how to create smart collections that will automatically pull in each model using her keywords, so I guess that's good.

However, what I'm still not sure about is how I should organize photos with both models. Well, I guess if I have a collection called Jane it'll show the photos of just her or of her and Michelle. Okay, so collections should be okay.

Now it's just a matter of where I should store these on my hard drive. I can either make one folder called Jane and Michelle or I can just put all the photos of both Jane and Michelle in the Jane folder. Guess that's the big concern.
Old 02-01-2009   #7
Photocamel Master

Lightroom has a variety of ways to do things like this. You just need to figure out what works for you. Personally, Collections are my FINAL picks, after edits, and folders are merely storage areas. I also don't "drag and drop" after import, though, since I import directly to their home, converting to DNG along the way.

It also allows me to keep finals in one Collection, regardless of date. I shoot with some models more than once and, instead of having separate folders with separate picks, I can use a Collection to show all of the picks for that model, regardless of shoot date or genre.

Figure out what works for you. Ignoring certain organizational elements, like Collections, just hurts your options, though.
Old 02-01-2009   #8
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by waple View Post
Now it's just a matter of where I should store these on my hard drive. I can either make one folder called Jane and Michelle or I can just put all the photos of both Jane and Michelle in the Jane folder. Guess that's the big concern.
It's irrelevant with Collections. The images are already available from the Collection so who cares where they are stored? LR keeps track of it so you don't have to.
Old 02-01-2009   #9
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
It's irrelevant with Collections. The images are already available from the Collection so who cares where they are stored? LR keeps track of it so you don't have to.
Well when I want to make a backup or archive DVD. If I have a folder called "e:/clients/models/Jane/[date]", I can use my disc burning software to simply copy her folder to DVD. I'd also want to do the same for "e:/clients/models/Michelle/[date]". But on each DVD I want to include the photos where they were in the photos together. How would I do that?
Old 02-01-2009   #10
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by waple View Post
Well when I want to make a backup or archive DVD. If I have a folder called "e:/clients/models/Jane/[date]", I can use my disc burning software to simply copy her folder to DVD. I'd also want to do the same for "e:/clients/models/Michelle/[date]". But on each DVD I want to include the photos where they were in the photos together. How would I do that?
Burn the Collection from Lightroom.

brian.austin is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: