Old Question, I need a Current Answer- Mac vs PC
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 13
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Old Question, I need a Current Answer- Mac vs PC

I have just purchased Photoshop CS4, however I am realizing that I am having issues with the software. I am spending way to much time talking to Adobe, and trying to understand what they want me to do, so far I have not been able to resolve my issues with CS4. I only have 2g of ram, so I am not sure if that is my problem. If it is, I decided to make the change to a new computer, mine is 4+ years old. So, Mac or PC. I have a large investment in software with my PC, so it would be a big cost issue to change over to a MAC

Thanks for the help and advice.

Old 01-11-2009   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 87653
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Old Question, I need a Current Answer- Mac vs PC

Sounds like you answered your own question.

Comments and suggestions always appreciated.
Gear: Nikon D800, D7000, D90, Canon G12, Canon G9 IR.

http://russell132.wix.com/rsandersphotography#!Home/mainPage
azrussell132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465

Simple, given your investment in software, get a new PC.
Old 01-11-2009   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Before a Mac-addict shows up, I'll tell you why you should consider switching:

1. If you're "trying to understand what they want me to do", it sounds like you're not a PC tech. Macs are fairly bulletproof.
2. Macs tend to be faster and more efficient on processing.
3. Macs can either dual boot, run emulators, or run shells to allow Windows to run on the same machine. (note: licensing issues may be a caveat on that if you don't have an OEM or retail license for your Windows OS. If you don't know what that means...you probably don't.)
4. Macs are less prone to viruses, trojans and worms.

Why I wouldn't switch:

A. I already know PC's and don't want to waste my time relearning a new OS to do the same things I already do fine.
B. Macs are 20-40% more money (or more) for the same box.
C. I'd have to relicense all of my software because, if I use an emulator, I'm back in the same boat, imo. Kinda like buying a new Cadillac and then ripping out the interior and replacing it with your 1988 Buick Regal interior. What's the point?
D. Vista only sucks for those trying to go outside of its boundaries. I've run various apps, including Adobe LR and PSCS3, on it as well as run a small office network on it and have yet to see any issues....when it's managed and tuned correctly.
E. If you're that concerned with budget...you already answered your own question, as both Russell and Steve have noted.
Old 01-12-2009   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 639568

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
2. Macs tend to be faster and more efficient on processing.
I keep reading that, and hearing that from Mac users but it was not my experience. Has there been some sort of documentation or could it be like an urban legend that keeps spreading?
Linda G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano Color View Post
I keep reading that, and hearing that from Mac users but it was not my experience. Has there been some sort of documentation or could it be like an urban legend that keeps spreading?
I can't comment on your personal experience so you'll have to do your own research on why you had performance issues. It's not an urban legend and there is plenty of documentation online on how the Mac architecture compares to the PC designs.
Old 01-12-2009   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2798

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
Why I wouldn't switch:

A. I already know PC's and don't want to waste my time relearning a new OS to do the same things I already do fine.

C. I'd have to relicense all of my software because, if I use an emulator, I'm back in the same boat, imo. Kinda like buying a new Cadillac and then ripping out the interior and replacing it with your 1988 Buick Regal interior. What's the point?
From someone who saw the light/made the switch last year, i.e. me:

A. Nothing to relearn, Mac feels much more logical and natural. It really feels like "finally coming home".
C. Interesting view. There has been some PC magazines that found that the best laptop to run Microsoft Office on is a MacBook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano Color View Post
I've seen some test reports in PC magazines but can't remember where, sorry.
However, when I first got my Macbook I wanted to test this for myself. As I had Photoshop Elements for both Win and Mac and my stepson has a PC with very similar spec to my Mac (Allegedly his PC is slightly better/faster) it were simple...
20 pictures on a memory-stick, automated tasks in Elements (same on both systems obviously). Not a big test, didn't expect to see much difference and were searching for 2 bigger memory-sticks that I knew were in a draw somewhere. Well, the Mac finished the job and I went and put the kettle on, when I came back with the mug of coffee in my hand the PC were still hard at work.
From memory the Mac did it in 12 minutes and the PC in 19...

BUT, the Mac is expensive if you only look at the spec versus the price tag.
Old 01-12-2009   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 639568

Thanks for the feedback. My experiences were with business networked mac systems. Newspaper/photo lab. They were always crashing and I learned to reboot before I sat down to get serious work done.

The lab changed to PC because of dedicated software and we never looked back. Sure, the network needs rebooted now and then but the PCs can stay on all day without rebooting. Win 2000 is probably the most stable platform for PCs out there and I still use it.
Linda G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

For very reasonable prices you can get a quad core processor and 4+ gigs of ram. On top of that if you run a 64 bit version of Vista you will see an additional 10-15% performance gain over the standard version. Lastly check the Adobe site for a list of supported graphic cards so CS4 can take advantage of your graphic cards' processor.

My opinion on Macs is there is no need for them.
mwrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 786

I just bought a dell vostro with intel q6600 2.4ghz quad core processor, 3gb ram, 500gb hd and 256mb gfx card, for $499 plus shipping and tax. It'll be here tomorrow. Up to this point my workstation, for 13 years, has always been mac. That's going to change. My latest mac was a dual 800mhz g4, up from a 533mhz g4, which was up from a 400mhz g3. After paying $3500 for a new mac about 10 years ago I vowed never to get ripped off so much by buying a new mac again.

I say a similarly performing and built system to the PC I just bought would be $2k from Apple. Even a seasoned mac fan recently argued in favor of mac that "you'd only have to pay $1200 for it..." plus he claimed a few extras are included in the mac that would cost about $100 for me to add onto my PC.

The bottom line for me was price/performance ratio, and until you get into the top-of-the-line stuff where the huge price premium is equal on both sides, macs are consistently more expensive for the same product and performance. I didn't want top of the line dual quad-core xeons, because that's completely out of my budget. 2 years from now those same processors will be 1/8th their current value, but somehow the macs sporting them will only drop in cost by about 20%.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: