'HELP" I need a Back Up System
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 13
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Unhappy 'HELP" I need a Back Up System

Hi,
I just had one of my external hard drives crash. Needless to say I lost a lot of photos, I usually back up to an additonal hard drive, but things got away from me and now I am paying the price for being lazy.

So I need a better system. Does any one know about the Drobo or My Book Mirror Edtion II 2TB from Western Digital. Or should I just by a couple of 1 TB external drives and back up twice, and use a third to work and process photos.

Any advice would be appreciate.

Old 12-09-2008   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 493
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: 'HELP" I need a Back Up System

Sorry about your Hard Drive. Did you have a physical problem with the drive or is it software related? Have you tried to recover the Data? There are several recovery programs that I have used to repair and recover Data from "Broken" hard drives. Was the Data compressed from the BackUp software you used?
I have used several Western Digital Devices and Iomega Devices to backup in the past and now just build my own using Notebook Hard Drives and external enclosures. I stopped using the Over-The-Counter devices because of there software. Sometimes the software when it backing up your data will compress it. Now I can plug my drives into any computer and access it, I don't have to have the software installed.
Hope this Helps! Good Luck!
Busk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 196

There are several Western Digital and Buffalo external drives that come with Memeo backup software. Usually I prefer to backup manually but I quite like the Memeo system. Once you have done your first big backup - which will take several hours - the software will backup new or changed files only. Worth looking into.
Old 12-16-2008   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 32

I use GenieSoft which operates similar to Memeo by the sound of it. It won't support Mac's though. You can configure it to store files such that you don't need the software installed to recover them.

I automatically back up to both an internal drive and an external drive. I use maximum compression on the external drive (which is only a 250GB unit).

You could consider a RAID 1 setup plus an external drive configured with a backup software.

Newegg have this drive at a good price ($110 after $20 MIR):
Fantom GD1000EU 1TB USB 2.0 / eSATA Silver GreenDrive External Hard Drive

You have one option with Genie which is that you can automatically backup to an FTP source. The initial backup would be lengthy but after that it just updates changes. I am not sure how much storage would cost you but if you are in business and need to retain access to pictures then it may be worth it.

I hope this helps and I hope you didn't lose too much data; I know how frustrating that can be.

E-420 w/ 14-42mm & 50-200mm SWD Feisol 3442 & Markins M-10.

Sign up to http://www.smugmug.com and get a $5 discount using this code: ZtJDvaMsJYUmM
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 32

In addition:

if your pictures are jpeg's you can get an account at Smugmug and for about $40 a year have limitless storage there.

It's on my list of things to do for sure.

E-420 w/ 14-42mm & 50-200mm SWD Feisol 3442 & Markins M-10.

Sign up to http://www.smugmug.com and get a $5 discount using this code: ZtJDvaMsJYUmM
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 45

Here's what I do, and it's been great for years and years:
1. Purchase external hard drive, or purchase an external enclosure and a hard drive to put in it.
Make sure that it connects in a very fast way... USB's kinda slow... eSata is better. Make sure it's as least as big as the drive you're backing up.
2. Purchase or just download (there's free software) that does file synchronization.
3. Every now and then (at least once a week, anyway), do the synchronization.

The advantage of this method is that your backup is in the exact same format as the original... no incremental backups, no compression. So if you need it, it's ridiculously easy to use.
DavidFromPhila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver46 View Post
Hi,
I just had one of my external hard drives crash. Needless to say I lost a lot of photos, I usually back up to an additonal hard drive, but things got away from me and now I am paying the price for being lazy.

So I need a better system. Does any one know about the Drobo or My Book Mirror Edtion II 2TB from Western Digital. Or should I just by a couple of 1 TB external drives and back up twice, and use a third to work and process photos.

Any advice would be appreciate.

You must look into Windows Home Server. Set one up, and never worry about backing up again.

Backing up home computers is a responsibility that Windows Home Server takes very seriously. After you set up the server in your network-connected home and install the connector software on each PC, the operating system will automatically back up each computer in the household overnight. Backup sizes are kept small by several innovative backup technologies, including the ability to skip backing up a file that has already been backed up from another PC in the house. That means that if an identical mydoc.txt file exists on five computers in the house, it's backed up only once - yet restored properly to each PC, if so requested.
Old 12-18-2008   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 594

Do any of these backup things do uncompressed backups where you can just go to that other drive and open a file? I hate using Nero now since if I lose a file I have to go through their proprietary whatchamacallit and sometimes it doesn't even work. I'd like to be able to just go to the other drive and know exactly where my file is.

What kind of software would be used for the syncronizing idea? That one intrigues me.

And what about trying to sync data between a home and studio PC? that's my biggest issue. I often bring home a memory card and edit in Lightroom, or work with a client's web site on my home PC but then I need to get that data over to the studio the next day.
waple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #9
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by waple View Post
And what about trying to sync data between a home and studio PC? that's my biggest issue. I often bring home a memory card and edit in Lightroom, or work with a client's web site on my home PC but then I need to get that data over to the studio the next day.
Look at setting up a VPN between your studio and the house. It's easy to do and you can extend your office network to the house. Then just copy files back and forth.
Old 12-19-2008   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045

For hardware this is an awesome deal I plan on getting within the next few days The Raid option for protection/ redundancy is what I'm in need of most!

Buy PCNation.com Products: Buffalo >> (HD-W2.0TIU2/R1) 2tb 2x500gb Drivestation Duo 7200rpm Tt Sata Raid 0/1 Usb 2.0

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: