I need Speed...Memory....Power
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 8594
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default I need Speed...Memory....Power

...plus I need your advice.

As a photographer (but not a PC geek), I've come to the crossroads of digital darkroom processing and must decide what computer technology is going to best serve me in the future.

For the past 2 years I've been using Windows XP 32 bit with an Intel Core 2 processor (2.40 GHz) but all this just doesn't cut the mustard anymore. I shoot RAW and save everything in 16 bit. I use a ton of stand alone software and CS33pugins which use up a lot of my system resources and, with CS4 about to be released, I was thinking (do I have a choice?) of upgrading to Windows VISTA 64 in order accomodate more RAM and a new motherboard for faster operation.

Either I do this or make the switch to a MacPro.

So what exactly do I need? Suggestions appreciated.

Canon 1DMKIII
EF 24-75mm L
EF 17-40mm L
EF 16-35mm L
EF 70-200mm L
EF 100-400mm L
Tamron SP 28-75mm XR Di F/2.8
SteveZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: I need Speed...Memory....Power

As with camera gear, think of what is most annoying?

Is the processor too slow or is your installation simply bogged down with tons of antivirus, safe surfing, quick search, printer supply monitoring and other applications?

How much RAM do you have and is it enough? Perhaps just adding a little ram will help.

Do you rally want to switch to an operating system best know for bringing even the most powerful PC to a crawl?

Yes, you can buy something new and be bask in the glow of your new shiny baubles, but you can also try to understand your problem and resolve for a lot less. With the money saved, there are far more entertaining things to do than watch the Vista loading animation.

If given the choice, I would rather move to Apple than Vista, but that's only my personal opinion and not based on any facts. At the moment I use Linux, which I would not recommend for what you do.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #3
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 126

If money is no object I'd get a MacPro Quad core, or even an Octo core, stacked with RAM. They render feature films on that beast so it's gonna breeze through big batches of big photo files like greased lightning.
But a Core2 Duo iMac or MacBook Pro, with max RAM (4GB), ain't half bad either.

Plus: you can run Vista and/or XP, and all associated software, natively on those Macs as well. Side-by-side with MacOSX onscreen and simultaneously. Try that on a PC box...

Have fun!
Take12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 3293
Editing OK?: Yes

If you go with Vista go with 32 bit not 64 bit. There have been problems with people finding drivers that are compatible with 64 but.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 271

I hope you get a Mac but one of the features of CS4 Photoshop for Windows is that it is 64-bit so it should work with Vista.

tomrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #6
Former Camel

Just to be clear: all Apple iMacs, MacPros, and MacBooks feature 64-bit processing cores (Core2 Duo in iMacs and MacBooks, Xeon Quad and Octo cores in MacPros).
Take12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 105

i've been a PC person for quite some time. XP pro at the moment. If I had the choice that you have in front of you, i'd seriously consider MAC.
from what i've seen of vista, i want nothing to do with it. as someone mentioned, if you have PC files you want to keep and continue with, MACs run Windows too.

me...i'm a PC geek and my 4 year old XP machine does me fine. keep it clean as someone mentioned and it'll play a lot nicer. -save some cash to boot.

my life has been on PC so, it'll be a long time to ween me off and i'm not ready to put cash at a computer. But, MACs are, and have always been, much more flexible and catered to multimedia.

vote MAC and don't look back
daveyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 8594

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyburt View Post
from what i've seen of vista, i want nothing to do with it.
Thanks Davey, what have you seen of Vista? I've heard only postive things about Vista-64. Please explain.
EF 17-40mm L
EF 16-35mm L
EF 70-200mm L
EF 100-400mm L
Tamron SP 28-75mm XR Di F/2.8
SteveZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 105

it does nothing (useful) more than XP and just gets in your way with every click.

For example: I ftp'd a file down to vista machine and vista wouldn't let me at it. the file was seen as being successfully downloaded in the FTP app but, navigating there in windows explorer just show'd me a blank directory.

basically, the OS seriously gets in the way of everything you want to do. being as you're not a huge techy guy, i think this will cause serious anxiety.

i'm sure you can go thru and reconfigure all the vista settings to not be such a roadblock but, at that time you basically boiled it down to XP function with the added overhead of vista.

Computers should allow you to do what you want with them, not limit what you can do.

MAC is much more efficient and configurable. The fact that every serious media developer uses them, and has been using them for ages, should tip you off.
If you want to play with Internet Explorer, Excel, and Word, Vista works well. It's not good at handling things outside of the MS realm.

my 2c.
it's just not for 'me'
daveyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #10
Former Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyburt View Post
it's just not for 'me'
It ain't for Micro$haft either: Vista is a HUUUGE failure in the market place*. Not for nothing will M$ launch its successor "Windows 7" soon. Talk on the street is around year's end or the beginning of 2009.
If even Micro$haft abandons its own latest operating system that ought to tell you enough, shouldn't it?

*we can only guess at the billions M$ wasted on Vista... Which cost will be added on to other M$ products to recuperate of course... M$ users will be paying for years for this 'faux pas'!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: