PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Computers and Software (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/)
-   -   I need Speed...Memory....Power (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/62319-i-need-speed-memory-power.html)

SteveZ 10-12-2008 12:49 PM

I need Speed...Memory....Power

...plus I need your advice.

As a photographer (but not a PC geek), I've come to the crossroads of digital darkroom processing and must decide what computer technology is going to best serve me in the future.

For the past 2 years I've been using Windows XP 32 bit with an Intel Core 2 processor (2.40 GHz) but all this just doesn't cut the mustard anymore. I shoot RAW and save everything in 16 bit. I use a ton of stand alone software and CS33pugins which use up a lot of my system resources and, with CS4 about to be released, I was thinking (do I have a choice?) of upgrading to Windows VISTA 64 in order accomodate more RAM and a new motherboard for faster operation.

Either I do this or make the switch to a MacPro.

So what exactly do I need? Suggestions appreciated.

korman 10-12-2008 02:52 PM

Re: I need Speed...Memory....Power

As with camera gear, think of what is most annoying?

Is the processor too slow or is your installation simply bogged down with tons of antivirus, safe surfing, quick search, printer supply monitoring and other applications?

How much RAM do you have and is it enough? Perhaps just adding a little ram will help.

Do you rally want to switch to an operating system best know for bringing even the most powerful PC to a crawl?

Yes, you can buy something new and be bask in the glow of your new shiny baubles, but you can also try to understand your problem and resolve for a lot less. With the money saved, there are far more entertaining things to do than watch the Vista loading animation.

If given the choice, I would rather move to Apple than Vista, but that's only my personal opinion and not based on any facts. At the moment I use Linux, which I would not recommend for what you do.

Korman

Take12 10-12-2008 03:31 PM

If money is no object I'd get a MacPro Quad core, or even an Octo core, stacked with RAM. They render feature films on that beast so it's gonna breeze through big batches of big photo files like greased lightning.
But a Core2 Duo iMac or MacBook Pro, with max RAM (4GB), ain't half bad either.

Plus: you can run Vista and/or XP, and all associated software, natively on those Macs as well. Side-by-side with MacOSX onscreen and simultaneously. Try that on a PC box...

Have fun!

Rogue 10-12-2008 04:01 PM

If you go with Vista go with 32 bit not 64 bit. There have been problems with people finding drivers that are compatible with 64 but.

tomrock 10-12-2008 05:15 PM

I hope you get a Mac but one of the features of CS4 Photoshop for Windows is that it is 64-bit so it should work with Vista.

Take12 10-13-2008 04:22 AM

Just to be clear: all Apple iMacs, MacPros, and MacBooks feature 64-bit processing cores (Core2 Duo in iMacs and MacBooks, Xeon Quad and Octo cores in MacPros).

daveyburt 10-13-2008 06:36 AM

i've been a PC person for quite some time. XP pro at the moment. If I had the choice that you have in front of you, i'd seriously consider MAC.
from what i've seen of vista, i want nothing to do with it. as someone mentioned, if you have PC files you want to keep and continue with, MACs run Windows too.

me...i'm a PC geek and my 4 year old XP machine does me fine. keep it clean as someone mentioned and it'll play a lot nicer. -save some cash to boot.

my life has been on PC so, it'll be a long time to ween me off and i'm not ready to put cash at a computer. But, MACs are, and have always been, much more flexible and catered to multimedia.

vote MAC and don't look back:afro:

SteveZ 10-13-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyburt (Post 560252)
from what i've seen of vista, i want nothing to do with it.

Thanks Davey, what have you seen of Vista? I've heard only postive things about Vista-64. Please explain.

daveyburt 10-14-2008 09:13 AM

it does nothing (useful) more than XP and just gets in your way with every click.

For example: I ftp'd a file down to vista machine and vista wouldn't let me at it. the file was seen as being successfully downloaded in the FTP app but, navigating there in windows explorer just show'd me a blank directory.

basically, the OS seriously gets in the way of everything you want to do. being as you're not a huge techy guy, i think this will cause serious anxiety.

i'm sure you can go thru and reconfigure all the vista settings to not be such a roadblock but, at that time you basically boiled it down to XP function with the added overhead of vista.

Computers should allow you to do what you want with them, not limit what you can do.

MAC is much more efficient and configurable. The fact that every serious media developer uses them, and has been using them for ages, should tip you off.
If you want to play with Internet Explorer, Excel, and Word, Vista works well. It's not good at handling things outside of the MS realm.

my 2c.
it's just not for 'me'

Take12 10-15-2008 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyburt (Post 561077)
it's just not for 'me'

It ain't for Micro$haft either: Vista is a HUUUGE failure in the market place*. Not for nothing will M$ launch its successor "Windows 7" soon. Talk on the street is around year's end or the beginning of 2009.
If even Micro$haft abandons its own latest operating system that ought to tell you enough, shouldn't it?

*we can only guess at the billions M$ wasted on Vista... Which cost will be added on to other M$ products to recuperate of course... M$ users will be paying for years for this 'faux pas'!

;D;D;D

12stones 10-15-2008 08:27 AM

I was pricing Dell just this week and it costs $99 to upgrade your computer to XP from Vista... Yes, you read right: it comes with Vista, but if you want XP you have to pay $99. That's gotta say something!

Take12 10-15-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12stones (Post 561953)
it costs $99 to upgrade your computer to XP from Vista...

"Upgrade"? That is doublespeak. I.o.w.: complete BS!
If you go back to an earlier version you downgrade!

Eero Makela 10-15-2008 09:01 AM

Does Dell still offer the XP downgrade. I choose that for my dad's computer as he uses Outlook Express and other older stuff that would not have worked under Vista. And I also wanted to see how good these dual core systems work under XP, as my AMD64x2 is Vista.

Both systems have 3gb RAM which is a must. Once I switched to a 24" LCD (1920x1200) it seems to run slower. But not 100% sure. I will be testing it again with old 19" to make sure. Maybe need a video card upgrade. My new (Tuesday) work computer came with Vista Business it is an Intel Core2 Quad with 6gb RAM and a Quadro dual DVI video card. will put it to the speed test to see if Vista is ok on that one.

There are tweaks you can do to speed up system. There is a company that adverses on Sirius Satellite about how to bring the speed back to computer. I have not check it out yet, as I just reinstall OS and start over once system is bogged down with too much junk.

Take12 10-15-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eero Makela (Post 561973)
There are tweaks you can do to speed up system. There is a company that adverses on Sirius Satellite about how to bring the speed back to computer. I have not check it out yet, as I just reinstall OS and start over once system is bogged down with too much junk.

OSX is pretty damn fast out of the box. No 'tweaking' required (will save you a ton of installation/set up time!). OSX makes more efficient use of less RAM (cheaper!). OSX does not install many gigabytes of junk to eat up your valuable harddisk space as Vista does. OSX works just as well with 'slow' CPUs and low RAM, Vista requires fast, late model CPUs and stacks of RAM to function anywhere near acceptable...

daveyburt 10-15-2008 03:37 PM

:) - tell us how you feel.

all %100 true stuff right there.

i'll go as far as to say i want windows 95 back. everything else is/was complete garbage.

SteveZ - you sound like an all MAC guy to me. -less futzing, more fun.

Eero Makela 10-18-2008 10:40 AM

I want windows ME it was my fav. worked the best.

Eero Makela 10-18-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Take12 (Post 562051)
OSX is pretty damn fast out of the box. No 'tweaking' required (will save you a ton of time!). OSX makes more efficient use of less RAM (cheaper!). OSX does not install many gigabytes of junk to eat up your valuable harddisk space as Vista does. OSX works just as well with 'slow' CPUs and low RAM, Vista requires fast, late model CPUs and stacks of RAM to function anywhere near acceptable...

I am actually talking about 6 months to 1 year after system is setup that it slows down due to all the extra add ons and program adds and deletes. Lot of stuff gets left behind to clog the system up.

Take12 10-19-2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyburt (Post 562209)

i'll go as far as to say i want windows 95 back. everything else is/was complete garbage.

Windoze95 was Bill's original rip-off of MacOS...
Kinda like a plastic Christmas tree with pine scent from an aerosol can.

;D;D;D

Eero Makela 10-19-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Take12 (Post 564850)
Windoze95 was Bill's original rip-off of MacOS...
Kinda like a plastic Christmas tree with pine scent from an aerosol can.

;D;D;D

I am guessing your 1 of the 100 MAC users out there ;D

Take12 10-21-2008 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eero Makela (Post 564344)
I am actually talking about 6 months to 1 year after system is setup that it slows down due to all the extra add ons and program adds and deletes. Lot of stuff gets left behind to clog the system up.

TIP: reinstall OSX from it's original DVD, restore a full backup of your data (so make damn sure you got a good'un, preferably 2, before you start this whole process!), update software online, and make a fresh, new backup!
Two hours later you have a completely new, fast, and clean system with all your data intact, and you can continue working where you left off.
As a bonus you may find you've recovered many dozens of gigabytes of hard disk space*! May save you buying a new external harddisk for a while...

*I did it 2 weeks ago and recovered 35GB's of space on a 160GB harddisk! That's over 22% recovered!

Have fun!