PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Computers and Software (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/)
-   -   I need Speed...Memory....Power (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/62319-i-need-speed-memory-power.html)

12stones 10-15-2008 08:27 AM

Re: I need Speed...Memory....Power

I was pricing Dell just this week and it costs $99 to upgrade your computer to XP from Vista... Yes, you read right: it comes with Vista, but if you want XP you have to pay $99. That's gotta say something!

Take12 10-15-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12stones (Post 561953)
it costs $99 to upgrade your computer to XP from Vista...

"Upgrade"? That is doublespeak. I.o.w.: complete BS!
If you go back to an earlier version you downgrade!

Eero Makela 10-15-2008 09:01 AM

Does Dell still offer the XP downgrade. I choose that for my dad's computer as he uses Outlook Express and other older stuff that would not have worked under Vista. And I also wanted to see how good these dual core systems work under XP, as my AMD64x2 is Vista.

Both systems have 3gb RAM which is a must. Once I switched to a 24" LCD (1920x1200) it seems to run slower. But not 100% sure. I will be testing it again with old 19" to make sure. Maybe need a video card upgrade. My new (Tuesday) work computer came with Vista Business it is an Intel Core2 Quad with 6gb RAM and a Quadro dual DVI video card. will put it to the speed test to see if Vista is ok on that one.

There are tweaks you can do to speed up system. There is a company that adverses on Sirius Satellite about how to bring the speed back to computer. I have not check it out yet, as I just reinstall OS and start over once system is bogged down with too much junk.

Take12 10-15-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eero Makela (Post 561973)
There are tweaks you can do to speed up system. There is a company that adverses on Sirius Satellite about how to bring the speed back to computer. I have not check it out yet, as I just reinstall OS and start over once system is bogged down with too much junk.

OSX is pretty damn fast out of the box. No 'tweaking' required (will save you a ton of installation/set up time!). OSX makes more efficient use of less RAM (cheaper!). OSX does not install many gigabytes of junk to eat up your valuable harddisk space as Vista does. OSX works just as well with 'slow' CPUs and low RAM, Vista requires fast, late model CPUs and stacks of RAM to function anywhere near acceptable...

daveyburt 10-15-2008 03:37 PM

:) - tell us how you feel.

all %100 true stuff right there.

i'll go as far as to say i want windows 95 back. everything else is/was complete garbage.

SteveZ - you sound like an all MAC guy to me. -less futzing, more fun.

Eero Makela 10-18-2008 10:40 AM

I want windows ME it was my fav. worked the best.

Eero Makela 10-18-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Take12 (Post 562051)
OSX is pretty damn fast out of the box. No 'tweaking' required (will save you a ton of time!). OSX makes more efficient use of less RAM (cheaper!). OSX does not install many gigabytes of junk to eat up your valuable harddisk space as Vista does. OSX works just as well with 'slow' CPUs and low RAM, Vista requires fast, late model CPUs and stacks of RAM to function anywhere near acceptable...

I am actually talking about 6 months to 1 year after system is setup that it slows down due to all the extra add ons and program adds and deletes. Lot of stuff gets left behind to clog the system up.

Take12 10-19-2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyburt (Post 562209)

i'll go as far as to say i want windows 95 back. everything else is/was complete garbage.

Windoze95 was Bill's original rip-off of MacOS...
Kinda like a plastic Christmas tree with pine scent from an aerosol can.

;D;D;D

Eero Makela 10-19-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Take12 (Post 564850)
Windoze95 was Bill's original rip-off of MacOS...
Kinda like a plastic Christmas tree with pine scent from an aerosol can.

;D;D;D

I am guessing your 1 of the 100 MAC users out there ;D

Take12 10-21-2008 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eero Makela (Post 564344)
I am actually talking about 6 months to 1 year after system is setup that it slows down due to all the extra add ons and program adds and deletes. Lot of stuff gets left behind to clog the system up.

TIP: reinstall OSX from it's original DVD, restore a full backup of your data (so make damn sure you got a good'un, preferably 2, before you start this whole process!), update software online, and make a fresh, new backup!
Two hours later you have a completely new, fast, and clean system with all your data intact, and you can continue working where you left off.
As a bonus you may find you've recovered many dozens of gigabytes of hard disk space*! May save you buying a new external harddisk for a while...

*I did it 2 weeks ago and recovered 35GB's of space on a 160GB harddisk! That's over 22% recovered!

Have fun!