Transferring 250GB of data - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008   #31
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Transferring 250GB of data

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
By default, you have to hold down CTRL as you release the mouse button while dragging to modify the behavior. I'm not aware of a way to set it to toggle instead of requiring you to hold it down.
What Michael said.

Stickykeys in Accessibility options will do CTRL, ALT and SHIFT toggle instead of hold down. There are hacks out there to do just one of the two as well.
Old 07-30-2008   #32
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Stickykeys in Accessibility options will do CTRL, ALT and SHIFT toggle instead of hold down. There are hacks out there to do just one of the two as well.
Oh yeah, Stickykeys. By default if you push shift 5 times repeatedly it will activate/deactivate Stickykeys.

I used to always disable it in the Accessibility options because I used to play games on the computer, and Stickykeys would mess with the game controls/minimize the game asking if I wanted Stickykeys on/off.
Old 07-30-2008   #33
Llama

CamelKarma: 3940
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
By default, you have to hold down CTRL as you release the mouse button while dragging to modify the behavior. I'm not aware of a way to set it to toggle instead of requiring you to hold it down.
You can also use right-click and drag instead of left. When you release you will be prompted what you want to do (move or copy) - cancel is there too just in case you let go on the wrong folder.

For copying large drives I've found ROBOCOPY.exe - it's part of the Windows Server resource kit (works in XP and I believe Vista too) and is free:
Download details: Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools

You'll need to use it the old fashioned way - a Command window or create a bat/cmd script file. Yes a bit of a pain but will get your backup done in one go.
Old 07-31-2008   #34
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1049806
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
You can also use right-click and drag instead of left. When you release you will be prompted what you want to do (move or copy) - cancel is there too just in case you let go on the wrong folder.
Thanks SquirrelDip, I'd forgotten all about that one.

'Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.'
Ansell Adams

My SmugMug Piccies
My PBase Snaps
mcbit is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: