Transferring 250GB of data - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Transferring 250GB of data

Thanks Eero, Brian, and Paul. Appreciate your advice.

Sorry to complicate things, but that Buffalo drive has its own copying scheme (for a lack of a better technical term...RAID-1?). So I'm not sure, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that combining two back-up programs would not work in this setup.

Appreciate any advice you can provide.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2008   #12
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
Thanks Eero, Brian, and Paul. Appreciate your advice.

Sorry to complicate things, but that Buffalo drive has its own copying scheme (for a lack of a better technical term...RAID-1?). So I'm not sure, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that combining two back-up programs would work in this setup.

Appreciate any advice you can provide.

Thanks
That's local to the drive, not to your computer. It will be transparent to you. Basically, whatever you have on one drives will automatically be on the other...but you still have to back it up to the Buffalo.

And it doesn't work for theft or fire, since both drives are sitting next to each other in the same enclosure.
Old 07-24-2008   #13
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 8600328
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
(for a lack of a better technical term...RAID-1?).
RAID -1 is basically two identical drives that are a Mirror copy of each other. The system (drive enclosure or what ever ) writes to both drives at the same time so you have auto backup, if either drive fails you can just replace it with an identical one (it has to be exact model/version number etc to work) and it will again create the mirror. Very Similar to PRO cameras with dual CF slots you can have it save to both.

Eero Makela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #14
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas
Any reason you wouldn't just burn them to dvd's?
Quote:
DVDs? Ouch. 240/4=60. That's 60 DVDs to burn. That's not feasible, imo.
It's also not iron-clad: burned DVDs degrade after 5 to 10 years, as opposed to pressed DVDs. Archival DVDs need to be replaced by newly burnt ones periodically. I use a 3 year cycle to be on the safe side.

Have fun!
Jacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #15
Llama

CamelKarma: 199337
Editing OK?: Yes

when i have to do a complete format on someones system i will pull their drive and copy the whole drive to either a spare partition on my own system or if theirs is still booting i will use an external usb 2 drive. yes it takes a while but i have never had a problem. i will start it and go about other things until it is done.
i always do a copy and check to be sure i have all my files before deleting anything, as a back up i have always done a copy rather than using a back up program. i know folks will say using a back up program has its benefits but i have done it this way since the early 90's and have not had an issue.
copying to DVD is expensive and time consuming trying to match the folder size to the dvd to optimize space, been there done that. I use a 500gb drive to back up to and the plans in the future call for a 1TB external with network or firewire connection for speed. this will be using a mirrored image.
Mr Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838

Quote:
I know, I'm very nervous about it. That's why I'm asking the experts here.

DVDs? Ouch. 240/4=60. That's 60 DVDs to burn. That's not feasible, imo.

Thanks Douglas for the suggestion. Oh, and have a karma on me.
Thanks for the Karma, right back atcha.

Its a lot of burning, but Im the paranoid type. Ive had drives fail, even when relativly new. I just like the extra security that comes from them being on a disc. Once burnt, I can verify everything is there, and baring a physical issue (scratch, water, giant rock falling on it) the data is secure.

Heck, I use to use 2 internal hard drives. One for windows and programs, and one strictly for backup. But thats when a 20gb drive was considered big.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #17
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
[...] I just like the extra security that comes from them being on a disc. Once burnt, I can verify everything is there, and baring a physical issue (scratch, water, giant rock falling on it) the data is secure. [...]
NO, Douglas! The data are NOT secure on DVDs! Burned DVDs degrade after 5 to 10 years (as opposed to pressed DVDs). Archival DVDs need to be replaced by newly burnt ones every few years, else they will become unreadable.
Jacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #18
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838

Thanks for the info. I hadnt heard that before. So truthfully, there isnt a real secure form of long term backup?
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #19
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No

Multiple backups is the way to go, Douglas.
Old 07-25-2008   #20
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Thanks for the info. I hadnt heard that before. So truthfully, there isnt a real secure form of long term backup?
'Long term' is relative. Etched in stone can be considered 'long term'...
But if we're talking digital data, SSDs (Solid State 'Disks') are currently the most secure storage technology. However, they are still waaaay too expensive for Joe Blow, Jane Doe, and my aunt Margaret, of course.

aam1234 has part of the answer: multiple backup copies. The other parts are: store some of those backup copies in another physical location, and review your long term storage technology every few years. Who knows, Blue-Ray or SSD maybe the next big thing. Then you'll need to transcribe your backed up data to that technology.
And so on, and so forth.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: