Future Windows OS Mess
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2006   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Future Windows OS Mess

If this page is true, then we all need to get into Linux or MacOS more. M$ is getting to stupid and too confusing. Seven version of the next OS is a bit much, don't ya think? And Europe gets two modified ones of one the US will have. Geeez....

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...a_editions.asp

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006   #2
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Future Windows OS Mess

Typical MS marketing strategy unfortunately. One thing that stuck out glaringly in the 'communications' matrix on that site was that you had to get at least the business edition before you get RDP/remote desktop. If so then that's a big backward step for people like myself with multiple systems scattered around the house. I'm not about to install VNC just to get something that was there on the previous home editions.

I also wonder what the 'advanced photography' features included in 'home premium' and up will be? Probably not much different than the likes of Picassa already offer for free.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Thanks for that link. This is breaking news. Insane, yes. How many people do you think will end up buying multiple versions of this OS, one way or another? Just what MS wants, I'm sure.
Old 03-10-2006   #4
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Typical MS marketing strategy unfortunately. One thing that stuck out glaringly in the 'communications' matrix on that site was that you had to get at least the business edition before you get RDP/remote desktop.
Remote desktop is the single best thing about Windows XP (Pro). It's an awesome feature that's underreported and underused.
Old 03-10-2006   #5
Camel Breath

As most of us these days are or operate as "small businesses" in MS's definition, as we don't have "IT" staffs but certainly need one thanks in part to MS's products (!), I think Vista Small Business will be the one to get.

You don't get backup in the standard Vista Business? Boo.

Windows Vista Small Business
Designed for small businesses without IT staff. Vista Small Business is a superset of Vista Business, and includes the following unique features: Backup and Shadow Copy support, Castle and server-join networking, and PC fax and scanning utility. Additionally, Microsoft is looking at including a number of other features, many of which might be cut: These include Vista Small Business guided tour, pre-paid access to the Windows Live! Small Business or Microsoft Office Live! subscription services, Multi-PC Health (a managed version of Microsoft One Care Live), and membership in the Microsoft Small Business Club online service. Microsoft will offer a Step-Up program for Vista Small Business that will allow customers to upgrade to Windows Vista Enterprise (see below) or Windows Vista Ultimate (see below) at a reduced cost. This SKU is new to Windows Vista; there is no XP Small Business Edition. This version is aimed at small business owners and managers.

The marketing message: Vista Small Business provides smooth operation even for those businesses without an IT staff. It is the operating system designed to help small businesses start, grow and thrive.

Old 03-10-2006   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1362

I should also be noted that there are 4 verions of XP

Home
Professional
Media Center
Tablet

So I would take a guess that at the end of the day there will be five

just my 2p's worth

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, but a few electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Yeah, but last I knew, they didn't start with (4) versions of XP. I don' tthink you can actually buy the Media version of XP, can you? I thought you could only get it with new PC purcahses

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Typical MS marketing strategy unfortunately. One thing that stuck out glaringly in the 'communications' matrix on that site was that you had to get at least the business edition before you get RDP/remote desktop. If so then that's a big backward step for people like myself with multiple systems scattered around the house. I'm not about to install VNC just to get something that was there on the previous home editions.

I also wonder what the 'advanced photography' features included in 'home premium' and up will be? Probably not much different than the likes of Picassa already offer for free.
Paul, you've clearly dealt with MS before. They've actually done the multiple version OS thing for a long time, all the way back to NT4... it was mostly server software though. It was just as confusing then as now cuz they changed the names and components with every release. It got really bad when XP came out in five flavors (if you include the embedded and 64bit versions).

I once had to get a 240 seat non-profit agency up to code on licensing and then secure low cost non-profit licenses for as much of the organization's software as possible. With Microsoft that meant OS versions from Win95 to Win2000, MS Office versions from Office 97 to Office 2000 and a room full of servers, mostly on NT and 2000.

It was expensive and messy but we ultimately got all the OS's up to Win2K SP1 but they offer no discounts to non-profits for OS's. MS is pretty generous with their applications software though... but you still had to go through untrained resellers to buy the license packs, it took six months just to figure WHAT we needed and WHERE we could buy it. Sorting out all those versions and installing the new versions was just crazy... there were 3 or 4 versions of Office2000 and none of them but the tippytiptop version had the combination of what most users needed.

Once, I received a FedEx envelope with 12 sheets of paper (license agreements) and an invoice for $70,000! They didn't even offer us the media, we had to buy that separately. I had a whole file drawer dedicated to license compliance though and most of it was Microsoft because they changed the programs versions every few months. I won't even go into the hassle of doing the same thing for our field offices in Africa, Asia and South America.

I came to this conclusion, buy your computer with the OS license you want and ride it to the end of the boxes life if possible. With the activation schemes and the weird variety of media available, it's risky to buy an OS outright unless you know your computer technology cold. One day, you WILL have to re-install the OS and then you'll have to deal with Microsoft and it's twisted hardware detection/copy protection/software activation/cross-scheme/cross-version madness and several 30 character activation keys... all of which have to be installed and activated in the proper sequence.

I love computers and technology... and I hate them. I'm at once a geek and a Luddite. I quit IT to do photography because of complexities like Microsoft. It was a refreshing change to just be a user... I'd never been one before. I savored the day I had an ISP tech come in and configure my router... it was funny though, I kept wanting to tell him how to do it... really had to bite my tongue.

Again, not talking to anybody in particular... just my peculiar 2nd person way of writing and talking.

Oh, and Paul, that would be just like Microsoft to have an Advanced Photography Package' which was nothing more than a few, marginally integrated imaging apps they bought up in a hurry and cobbled together just to say they have the equivalent of Aperture or Lightroom. Oy!

Chip
Old 03-10-2006   #9
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

Quote:
Originally Posted by B
Paul, you've clearly dealt with MS before. They've actually done the multiple version OS thing for a long time, all the way back to NT4... it was mostly server software though. It was just as confusing then as now cuz they changed the names and components with every release. It got really bad when XP came out in five flavors (if you include the embedded and 64bit versions).
Yes, I've dealt with Microsoft on occasion. Up until a few years ago I was managing a hybrid Unix/Windows admin team. We had the full 5 star, platinum edged support deal involving full time team of 4 Microsoft consultants. It made our senior directors sleep better at night knowing that any problems would be dealt with 24/7 by these dedicated souls. Problem was that they spent more time mouthing platitudes and suggesting we upgrade than they did fixing the underlying problems. I'm now much happier looking after Unix/Linux platforms where we have no outside support contracts but everything mainly just works, and when it doesn't then our in-house skills or the open-source community turn things round in no time at all.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles
If this page is true, then we all need to get into Linux or MacOS more. M$ is getting to stupid and too confusing. Seven version of the next OS is a bit much, don't ya think? And Europe gets two modified ones of one the US will have. Geeez....

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...a_editions.asp
There are more tiers now because business want them.* Full workstation is major overkill in in a lot of situations but xp home just won't do.* This is actually designed to save some business money in certain situations.

With that being said, I'm not jumping onto the Vista bandwagon until it has matured a bit. As with any change, something in my arsenal will break.

Canon 5D
metalstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: