Fast external HDs
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Fast external HDs

Sometimes I copy photos directly to the external HD, while slow, it's not an issue. However, when processing those Raw files it's painfully slow to save them there (using USB 2.0).

Any suggestion on fast(er) externals.

Thanks

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Fast external HDs

I'm sure there are gearheads out here who can tell you all about ns access times and disc RPMs. For my use I have a USB 2.0 Maxtor. It has dual plugs so that it isn't starved for power from the USB port. I don't know that a drive with its own power supply might not be faster. I'm not sure that a drive that holds a terabyte is slower than say, a 160 gig. Then comes maintenence. Keeping any drive operating at optimal speed requires defragmenting now and then.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #3
Camel Breath

Both of the externals here have their own power.

Good point about a defrag. Need to do that too. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2008   #4
Camel Breath

While we are at it, let me ask a bit of naive question (I'm no techie).

How long would you suggest keeping the external HD on. With fan (built-in) and without. Assuming comfortable room temperature.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2008   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 13109
Editing OK?: Ask first

Just bought one of these [clicky] and I love it. ESATA is definitely faster at about 60MBs but USB 2.0 25MBs isn't a slouch. Plus all I have to buy now is additional hard drives no special chassis required. Which are only $129.00 on Newegg. I have this plus one of these [clicky]in my backup servers that is hot swap so I can take a drive from one and put it in the other for copying to backups.
cman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 13109
Editing OK?: Ask first

Powered USB ports can be an issue especially if you don't have power on your external drive. Most USB chassis come with a power supply to power the drive. If it doesn't you need to make sure that your front panel USB ports are powered or at least know which ports on your PC are powered.

External Hard drives can stay on as long as the computer is on and as long as it is secured and not disturbed. External hard drives are the same models as internal drives, just wrapped in a pretty case, so they can withstand the same amount of usage and conditions. Google released a report a few years ago that they couldn't find any correlation between heat and hard drive failures, at least within a predictable range. They tested drives in conditions upwards of 100 degrees.

I agree with Songman that you need to defrag your drives especially if you are saving and deleting files from it. Second even though the drive chassis is USB 2.0 are you sure you are plugging it into a USB 2.0 port (not trying to insult you just covering the basics).
cman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #7
Camel Breath

Thanks, cman78. Good info there.

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: