PC gets to slow
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2006   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 2602482
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default PC gets to slow

Ok my friends I do have a big problem with CS2 .Any time I'm running CS2 and Bridge together
I have about 1GB Ram in my PC were 250 Ram my Windows XP pro using, and I have about 725-750 MB Ram free in my PC
Now!!!! any time I'm running this programs my Ram dropping down to 0-20 MB and my PC gets to slow
Do you know of any settings I have to chance in windows or CS2 to fix this problem??
Or I just have to spend $400.00-$500.00 to get 1.5 GB of ram? >
Thanks Emmanuel

Old 02-13-2006   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Default Re: PC gets to slow

Throw as much RAM at it as you can (RAM is not as expensive as you are thinking).

Set your scratch disk to a drive other than the same drive that XP is using for virtual memory (probably C) if possible. Hard disks are a source of bottlenecks. Use your fastest harddrive for your scratchdisk if possible

Check your memory settings in CS2 and lower it to about 50-60% and see if it improves. For some strange reason, it sometimes works better at less than the default 70%.

I have found that running too many programs in the background, like spyware detectors and such, will really slow down the computer. Open you task manager and see how many processes are running. Close those that are not necessary.
Old 02-13-2006   #3
F1 Camel

(RAM is not as expensive as you are thinking).
My is a PC800 rambus it takes now 4 -256 ram cards i have to get them as a pear that's why my memory coast about $500.00 for
1GB of ram

Set your scratch disk to a drive other than the same drive that XP
I have did this did already and i did not see any deference on the preform

Check your memory settings in CS2 and lower it to about 50-60%
My memory setting was about 55% i have set it to 35% now. I did not had time to play with it yet but you thing it will work with only 35% of ram??
I dont know i'm a litle lost
Thank you for your help
Emmanuel

Epphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #4
Photocamel Master

I didn't realize you were using RDRAM...yes, it's expensive

I wouldn't think it would perform well at 35%, especially with only 1 Gig available

Old 02-13-2006   #5
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry
I didn't realize you were using RDRAM...yes, it's expensive

I wouldn't think it would perform well at 35%, especially with only 1 Gig available

Thanks for your relpys
I still have a problem to run both at the same time

The cache is set to 6
And the Ram to 35%
Let me know
Thanks Emmanuel
Epphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #6
Photocamel Master

See if anything here helps http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332271.html
Old 02-14-2006   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppaint2
Ok my friends I do have a big problem with CS2 .Any time I'm running CS2 and Bridge together
I have about 1GB Ram in my PC were 250 Ram my Windows XP pro using, and I have about 725-750 MB Ram free in my PC
Now!!!! any time I'm running this programs my Ram dropping down to 0-20 MB and my PC gets to slow
Do you know of any settings I have to chance in windows or CS2 to fix this problem??
Thanks Emmanuel
My experience will not comfort you. My main machine has 2 Gigs of RAM, and I always have to restart CS2 and often the entire computer to get back the speed I should have. I'm not sure how much memory I really need now to get decent performance on a consistent basis.
Old 02-14-2006   #8
Photocamel Master

I have 4Gig DDR400 memory, 3.2GHzdual-core P4 and have issues at times. I think part of the issue is how Windows handles memory, part how fast of drives one has (mine are EIDE drives...SATA are faster), unnecessary resource hogs not clearing memory (i.e. spyware programs, antivirus programs, etc), and the rest is just plain voodoo. The weird thing for me is that sometimes it runs fast and the next time it drags its feet severely. I'd go to a G5 Mac, but the idea of spending the $$ on all new software to put on a machine that I had to shell out a substantial sum for doesn't give me a warm feeling inside.
Old 02-14-2006   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 23
Editing OK?: Ask First

Time to get a new machine if you have to spend $500 for a 1.5 gigs of ram. The return on performance is too poor. You could probably get a new machine that would outperform your current setup with 4GB of ram for $1200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppaint2
Thanks Emmanuel
Old 02-14-2006   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 23
Editing OK?: Ask First

Yes.* Any real time monitoring apps can drag your machine down.* you might want to also considering disabling any non-essential services in XP also.* For example, I have a batch file set so when I am doing any online gaming that needs total cpu, I run it before the game and it disables all non essential windows services and also any user apps such as any little tray things you may have going on.* Things seem to glide a lot better.* However, I really don't have any slowdown issues with my current 3.06 P4 and 2GB RAM with all my stuff running in the backgroud.* the only time I have issues is when I'm transcoding video in the background.

There is a program called pskill that you can use to kill anything with a batchfile from your task manager. and the net stop command will stop any service you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry
I have found that running too many programs in the background, like spyware detectors and such, will really slow down the computer.* Open you task manager and see how many processes are running.* Close those that are not necessary.

Canon 5D
metalstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: